GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is my first wing and my first opportunity to even need any warm air. We finally got a "cold front" in TX (40-50 degrees) and I decided to play with some of the comfort features. The seat and grip heaters work great. The "toe" warmers worked OK, not great. May feel better if temp. gets near 30.

Now for the question. I opened the "warm air vents" at the knees. Nothing, not even at 60 - 70 mph. Is warm air supposed to come out of these vents?

Thanks,

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Those are fresh air vents, not heat.
FYI....They don't move any fresh air either. aka... useless :( LOL...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip..the book calls them "side warmer ventallation louvers" but like you said they seem sort or useless. I sure never got any cool air out of them when it was 100 degrees. I thought they may be blocked or something.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
side warmer ventallation louvers is what they are - they work just enough- let it get colder out you will see.
Colder it gets the more warmth you'll feel - not hot but warm.

Use your bare hand as your riding .......

2.5 cents

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
lower vents.... rerouted for 06

You have an 06…… The tube that channels the air from the opening in front has changed from what 01-05 had. The older bikes had it going over the radiator, so the air had little change in temperature. The 06 has it going behind the center strip in front of the radiators where all of that hot air is blowing directly around it. I could see where it could raise the air temp a degree or two over what the 01-05’s will have. It just seems like it would be more affective if they had levers that would close off the front opening and open up at the radiator. Now, that would put some heat on your legs……

·
Registered
75 Posts
The foot warmers do a good job.Leave them closed on cool day and let the air blow up your pant leg,then open them and you will definitely feel the difference.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Re: lower vents.... rerouted for 06

DDL said:
You have an 06…… The tube that channels the air from the opening in front has changed from what 01-05 had.
I've had a few people ask me why they didn't get warm air from those vents. The '06 owners manual calls them "WARM AIR VENTS". That's why people are looking for warm air! LOL....

Now I'm curious. Are they actually to move warm air on the '06 models?

·
Registered
501 Posts
The 1500's had a hot/cold selection, but when riding in cold weather
(in Wisconsin) The 1500 did not generate enough heat to over come
the cold air entering the vents anyway. The only time there was a
big difference was when it was 90° outside, you knew when you
forgot to set it back to COLD...............

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes,it is warmed ever so slightly.There is a duct (chamber) in the fan shroud that is warmed(radiant) by the radiator.There is a outlet duct that attaches to the rear of it to discharge thru the vent.Cold air comes in thru the Frt inlet opening,and magically moves this warmer air out the vent.(The heat is most noticable on a hot day when the vent is opened).
I had read on earlier posts where some had removed the duct to the vent to gain some space inside of the of the top shelter to put their add on tricks and goodies.When I had my cover off,I removed the duct on one side to see if I could tell any difference,and if not I would remove the other the next time it was opened up.The difference is so slight the right one is coming off the next time I'm in there.The space it opens up is more useful to me.Its kind of like a fart,at 30dgf/70 mph the heat is there but you don't enjoy it.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
kg5ie said:
OK, this is my first wing and my first opportunity to even need any warm air. We finally got a "cold front" in TX (40-50 degrees) and I decided to play with some of the comfort features. The seat and grip heaters work great. The "toe" warmers worked OK, not great. May feel better if temp. gets near 30.

Now for the question. I opened the "warm air vents" at the knees. Nothing, not even at 60 - 70 mph. Is warm air supposed to come out of these vents?

Thanks,
Hey guy,
You may already know this but you do have to open the lever above the left fairing pocket as well as the vents to get any warm air flowing. Don't get me wrong, it's not real warm but they do help some on cooler days. T. 8)

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
tvbveb said:
Hey guy,
You may already know this but you do have to open the lever above the left fairing pocket as well as the vents to get any warm air flowing. Don't get me wrong, it's not real warm but they do help some on cooler days. T. 8)
Huh? That cable/lever goes to a "Y" that connects to the two cables going to the foot warmers on the rear lower cowls. I didn't see a cable running into the engine compartment that would control anything else.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Red said:
tvbveb said:
Hey guy,
Huh? That cable/lever goes to a "Y" that connects to the two cables going to the foot warmers on the rear lower cowls. I didn't see a cable running into the engine compartment that would control anything else.
Your right Red, I guess it was just a coincidence when I tryed mine out. It's only been cold enough here to try all the heating and or warming devices out once here, but "some" warm air did come out of my vents. I stand corrected, my bad. T. :oops:

·
Registered
464 Posts

Red said:
DDL said:
You have an 06…… The tube that channels the air from the opening in front has changed from what 01-05 had.
I've had a few people ask me why they didn't get warm air from those vents. The '06 owners manual calls them "WARM AIR VENTS". That's why people are looking for warm air! LOL....

Yep! They are actually warm air vents on the 06 and work pretty good at that. Actually work to good in the heat of the summer and have to close em. Gets pretty hot. :)

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts

JWScott said:
Yep! They are actually warm air vents on the 06 and work pretty good at that. Actually work to good in the heat of the summer and have to close em. Gets pretty hot. :)
Yours must work different than mine. No warm air at all. Not even at 90 degree temps. I started checking after this post. I can't tell they are any different than previous years. :?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Maybe they have something different on the comfort pkg. My 06 is prem. audio only and those vents put out some GOOD warm air......very nice IMO.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
The only time I have noticed any warm air from the vents with my 03 is when I have been sitting at a long red light or in heavy traffic on a hot day and then start to move, then I feel the hot air inside the fairing that has built up from the radiators while stopped coming out from the lower vents for about 5 seconds. I have only felt this in the summer time. Other than that, I have never felt any air coming from either the top or the lower vents.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

JWScott said:
Red said:
DDL said:

I had to keep mine closed also. When it's 110, I don't need any warm air blowing on my feet from those vents. The other morning it got so cold (56) that I had to actually open them.. and yes.. they do put out some good warm air on an '06.

matt

·
Registered
768 Posts
Actually the Tulsa hot foot will provide some relief in the 50-60F temperature range. You can also comfortably ride with them in the high 70F temperatures. They are simple to install and remove (literally minutes). You might want to check these out!

mike
03ILB

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts

mattcaswell said:
I had to keep mine closed also. When it's 110, I don't need any warm air blowing on my feet from those vents. The other morning it got so cold (56) that I had to actually open them.. and yes.. they do put out some good warm air on an '06.

matt
I'm not talking about the foot warmers off of the exhaust covers. I'm talking about the "warm air vents" in the fairing. Mine doesn't move warm air when it's 90 degrees. Matter of fact, I can't tell they move any type of air! Maybe if I put a match in front of them at 100mph it might move the flame. LOL...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Red said:
mattcaswell said:

matt
I'm not talking about the foot warmers off of the exhaust covers. I'm talking about the "warm air vents" in the fairing. Mine doesn't move warm air when it's 90 degrees. Matter of fact, I can't tell they move any type of air! Maybe if I put a match in front of them at 100mph it might move the flame. LOL...
Some of us don't have those vents, so I didn't realize what you were talking about. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts