GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a good winter glove that actually works and keeps your hands warm?????

I can't find any and I've tried a bunch of them, in fact I have a box full of the things! The ones I have now are good gloves and have 40 grams of Thinsulate but about 30 minutes or so in really cold weather and my fingers are gone, painfully so!

I've thought about mittens, at least with those your fingers aren't insulated from each other and they can get warmth from each other...??

Cost isn't that big of a deal, frozen fingers are! If they work they'd be worth the expense to me...

I've thought of getting the heated grips but first off I need good gloves!

Suggestions? :?:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Install grip heaters.. from Electrical Connection.. best thing I ever installed
now I ride with shorty gloves in the winter.. and I have ridden in 22 degree weather in Colorado... hands were toasty warm

cosmic

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked at the heated grips from Electrical Connection and that's a lot less expensive than I thought they'd be.

There's no picture of them installed at the grip, do they go underneath or do those pads install on top of the grips?

I'm heading to check out those GERBINGS now.

Thanks!

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
FinallyaWing said:
I just looked at the heated grips from Electrical Connection and that's a lot less expensive than I thought they'd be.

There's no picture of them installed at the grip, do they go underneath or do those pads install on top of the grips?

Thanks!
They go underneath ANY grips. Work just fine as you would expect from EC.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
FinallyaWing said:

Thanks!
Yes they fit under your present grips (which ever you have) they are all plug & play (no cutting or splicing wires) .. not real hard to install.. read
all info first.. and they really keep your hands warm.. i wear a pair
of Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves .. (summer gloves) and on high they get too hot .. even on low sometimes I put my hands out to cool them

cosmic

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
FinallyaWing said:
I'm going with the heated grips, thanks guys....
Remember that "Heated Grips" heat the palms of the hand and only when the palm is in contact with the grip.

The appropriate gloves (ones that effectively block the wind) will help keep the back of the hands from getting much colder.

Heated gloves work may much better for those that have Raynauld's condition.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Heated grips help are won't replace a good pair of gloves. I have a pair of OSI cold weather gloves that work great. I've ridden as much as 6 hours in low 30s on an unfaired bike and they still kept my hands warm. They have lost their water resistence (10 years old) and starting to tear at the seams so I have been looking for replacements. I now have three newer pair and none work as well. They are either too big and clumsy or too snug which cuts off circulation. One pair is designed for snow mobiliers so you'd think they would do the job. Meanwhile I keep the OSi's handy and wear them unless its raining.

Pete

·
Registered
636 Posts
For the best hand protection in the cold add the BakerBuilt Hand Wings to block the wind from your hands and heated grips.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Ellary said:
For the best hand protection in the cold add the BakerBuilt Hand Wings to block the wind from your hands and heated grips.
I'll second the above... have ridden in 20 degree weather with summer Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves in Colorado and my hands were never cold...

cosmic

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gloves

Your fingers will still get cold with the heated grips. Palms and inside of fingers will be toasty. I have the Gerbing G3 gloves and you can ride in the teens with no cold fingers. Spend the extra bucks. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Another vote for EC heated grips. A good pair of wind proof gloves will help as others have said. A pair of surgical rubber gloves work too, for a wind block. Baker Wings :yes1:
I've never had my EC grips on high yet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
ronbien said:
FinallyaWing said:

Thanks!
They go underneath ANY grips. Work just fine as you would expect from EC.
they will work under the chrome Kuryakyn ISO grips with the rubber inserts?
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2921

1 - 20 of 21 Posts