GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My upper left Fairing compartment, where the 12v adaptor is installed gets warm when on a ride. Thing inside it get warm also, almost hot feeling. Anyone else have that situation?

Ken

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Ken if you think the left gets hot !! check out the right one some time, you can bake bread in there. The pockets are right over the radiators....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Strange the things that you never notice!! I'll have to check mine out this summer. I guess I won't be able to store Snickers bars in the faring pockets!

·
Registered
19,901 Posts
Ken if you think the left gets hot !! check out the right one some time, you can bake bread in there. The pockets are right over the radiators....
And right over the engine, now that you mention it.

Don't forget, in the summer, you also have the hot sun beating down on the black vinyl, which absorbs heat. Without any air circulation, it is indeed going to get quite warm in there.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Odd, my left pocket gets so cold that my Dell MP3 player will shut down with a "Cold Temperature" warning. It won't get much above 30 degrees in that pocket. I was actually thinking of running some ducting into it from the radiator.

·
Vendor
21,429 Posts
Odd, my left pocket gets so cold that my Dell MP3 player will shut down with a "Cold Temperature" warning. It won't get much above 30 degrees in that pocket. I was actually thinking of running some ducting into it from the radiator.
I think I see the problem.

Rob in Maine

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Dang, I carry a pistol in the right pocket. But, it's been in there for 76,000 miles and it hasn't popped yet.
Roy, must be a small caliber ;):thumbup::lol:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
My upper left Fairing compartment, where the 12v adaptor is installed gets warm when on a ride. Thing inside it get warm also, almost hot feeling. Anyone else have that situation?

Ken
What year is your bike? I have an 03 and removed both air ducts that run under the pockets on top of the radiators. I haven't noticed any heat build up, maybe because the air flows thru better.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Those pockets are just the right size for a can of those awful tasting little Vienna sausages, (barbecue ones are not bad) you can put them in one pocket and a couple biscuits in the other and by lunchtime you have a hot meal. :excited::joke: Kit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, Lone Ranger, I have been thinking about taking out the air ducts to the lower vents as well. I'm worried that water will get in there a LOT more than with them in. Did you block the vents, or you just let the water in?
I want to remove them for two reasons;
1. Better air flow (and thus less heat in those pockets).
2. More room for bits like fuse blocks and little mods that I have in mind.

Please let us all know about how you went pulling them out and what you have found. Did you take notes or photos of the removal?

Thanks.

Ben.

Silverish '03. ABS. 30,002 miles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts