GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Warm-n-Safe wireless controller. I noticed today that the black module that connects to the 12V power got really hot today while it was on. I had not noticed it before, so I wondered if anyone else had noticed the same thing. I have the controller attached to a Gerbing jacket and gloves.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have an older Warm-n-Safe wireless controller. I noticed today that the black module that connects to the 12V power got really hot today while it was on. I had not noticed it before, so I wondered if anyone else had noticed the same thing. I have the controller attached to a Gerbing jacket and gloves.

I use the same setup and have not noticed any over-heating. There is a weak spot in the design and that is where the wires exit the controller. You may have something going on there.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I use the same setup and have not noticed any over-heating. There is a weak spot in the design and that is where the wires exit the controller. You may have something going on there.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heat troller

@networkguy3 Let us know what the issue found was causing the over heating? Thanks in Advance.
Sure enough the cables connecting to the power module appear to have been pulled out 1/8 of an inch or so. It is old enough, I decided to just replace it rather than digging into the module to see if I could repair the connections.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I’ve had a Warn N Safe wireless controller for 9 years and its battery-powered. The previous wireless versions plugged into the bike power?

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Electrical Gremlins

Sure enough the cables connecting to the power module appear to have been pulled out 1/8 of an inch or so. It is old enough, I decided to just replace it rather than digging into the module to see if I could repair the connections.

@networkguy3 Got your money's worth out of it hopefully. I have a Warm N Safe Wireless and am very happy with it for custom dual heat settings for my Heated Jacket-Gloves and one for my Heated pants. Thanks for letting us know what was causing the problem, was just curious what caused the over heating-short.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After we arrived home today from a ride, my wife told me she lost the wireless controller for the warm-n-safe. I told her she would be cold while riding (well, I said that on the inside) and will order another one this week.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Maybe can still heat?

After we arrived home today from a ride, my wife told me she lost the wireless controller for the warm-n-safe. I told her she would be cold while riding (well, I said that on the inside) and will order another one this week.
@Troglodyte I think she will still get heat but won't be adjustable. Check the Warm N Safe site for 411, I think it is built in safety so you don't freeze if you lose the wireless controller until you get another replacement.

·
Administrator
4,590 Posts
I'm a little confused here. Which 'module' are we talking about? The heat-troller which adjusts the heat, or the 'converter' which sits in the jacket/liner feeding your jacket/gloves?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warm n safe

I’ve had a Warn N Safe wireless controller for 9 years and its battery-powered. The previous wireless versions plugged into the bike power?
The old remotes used a watch battery - 2032 if I remember right, but the new ones don't. The module with the knobs on it has always been battery powered.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The old remotes used a watch battery - 2032 if I remember right, but the new ones don't. The module with the knobs on it has always been battery powered.
Yes, they use to use the 2032 battery. I took advantage of a promo earlier this year to get new ones that run on AAA batteries.

I realize now you were referring to the receiver in the liner, I think?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If the receiver doesn’t sense the controller it will still operate at 1/3 heat. My wife forgot hers on a trip once. When she needed the heat I programmed my controller to her liner and froze for a while!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Receiver

Yes, they use to use the 2032 battery. I took advantage of a promo earlier this year to get new ones that run on AAA batteries.

I realize now you were referring to the receiver in the liner, I think?
Yes, that is correct. It is the little black receiver with a power connection and two outputs for the jacket and the gloves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts