GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new Gerbings liner and tried it out yesterday. It was 34 degrees when I left the house. I only had a mesh jacket on over the liner. After a mile, I had to turn it down cause I was getting too hot 8) It really kept me warm and seemed to also help my extremities.

Last night, the Discovery channel had a special on extreme cold, and they put a heated vest on a guy and put him in a cold chamber with no gloves and had him do manual dexterity tests with his fingers. He worked for something like 30 minutes in 17 degrees with no problems. They turned off the vest, and in 5 minutes he was having problems with his hands and fingers and had problems performing the test. They also showed infrared video of his bare hands with the vest on and off, and measured his hand temps. With the vest on, his hands stayed around 85 degrees on the surface. With it off, the surface temps of his hands dropped to the 40's. They said that when your core temperature drops, the body will reduce blood flow to the extremities to conserve heat, which only compounds the problem at your extremities. Keep your core warm, and your body continues blood flow to your extremities, keeping them warm.

After watching this show, I am thinking I may not need electric gloves, that the liner will be enough to keep all of me warm. We will see....

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I tried mine for the first at 42'F, in about 1/4 mi. I was wet "sweating", I think under 30'F would be great! I've needed the goves on many other occasions.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
i don't have any heated gloves and u are right a heated jacket is pretty helpfull for keeping the hands warm

about a month ago i was on a 200 mile ride and the temp was 37 degrees, didn't wear any heated gear on the outbound ride and my hands were a little on the cold side, on the way home i wore the heated jacket and my hands were very comfy, the difference is amazing sometimes

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have ridden with a widder vest for a few years. It will keep your complete body warm.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Fred, how and where did you install your controller? I have the Gerbings too but have not had the time to make the installation.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought the permanent controler and was wondering where the best place for it was.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Fred,

If you have heated grips AND Baker mirror wings you will not need heated gloves. The Mirror wings block virtually ALL of the wind from your hands and allow the heated grips to really do their thing (along with the jacket of course)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Sam Jones said:
Fred,

If you have heated grips AND Baker mirror wings you will not need heated gloves. The Mirror wings block virtually ALL of the wind from your hands and allow the heated grips to really do their thing (along with the jacket of course)
I agree; heated grips are great. Remember that wind will be accelerating conductive heat loss from your digits. The guy in the test wasn't in an 80-mph wind tunnel.
Warm good.
Your hands are important.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Fred H. said:
I got my new Gerbings liner and tried it out yesterday. It was 34 degrees when I left the house. I only had a mesh jacket on over the liner. After a mile, I had to turn it down cause I was getting too hot 8) It really kept me warm and seemed to also help my extremities.

Last night, the Discovery channel had a special on extreme cold, and they put a heated vest on a guy and put him in a cold chamber with no gloves and had him do manual dexterity tests with his fingers. He worked for something like 30 minutes in 17 degrees with no problems. They turned off the vest, and in 5 minutes he was having problems with his hands and fingers and had problems performing the test. They also showed infrared video of his bare hands with the vest on and off, and measured his hand temps. With the vest on, his hands stayed around 85 degrees on the surface. With it off, the surface temps of his hands dropped to the 40's. They said that when your core temperature drops, the body will reduce blood flow to the extremities to conserve heat, which only compounds the problem at your extremities. Keep your core warm, and your body continues blood flow to your extremities, keeping them warm.

After watching this show, I am thinking I may not need electric gloves, that the liner will be enough to keep all of me warm. We will see....
All I have is an electric vest. I have riden in 17 Deg F Weather. 17 Deg is Fricking Cold. I was good to go from the waist up. I'm getting Tour Master Cold Weather riding pants "Venture Pants":http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=174&cat=4

Van 8)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Silver Fox said:
I bought the permanent controler and was wondering where the best place for it was.
Don't know about the "best" place, but Toyo and I have it mounted about
one and a half inches to the right of the ignition key. Works great

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey, thanks Fred.
I have been tossing around the notion of getting a liner for the SO
and your post convinces me it's the way to go.
Now, about your observation....
"and your body continues blood flow to your extremities"
Do you suppose that liner would be comfortable in bed? :yes:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When living up North in the NYC area I had a Gerbling heated suit, top & bottom, gloves and socks and a perm controller installed on the door of the gas fill on my '89 GL1500.

I remember one ride through Connecticut on a Sunday back in the winter of 1992 with temps getting as high as zero deg F. We rode for about 8 hours and at one point had to stop and turn down the thermostat on the controller, I was burning up!

Unbelieveable suit. :D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
FYI I have had a Widder vest and gloves for ten years. Earlier this year, at about 40degrees, my hands did not seem to be as warm as usual. I called Widder, they said send gloves and controls to them. I did, they called back and said they found some wear (after ten years, duh!) and rewired my gloves and returned them at NO CHARGE...can't beat that for a recommendation....

Gerbling are great too. I have a friend who has a complete suit and loves it. He doesn't turn it on until it is down to 40....It gets cool here in So. TX but warms up in the afternoons...so I take two different gloves plus the electric ones...as it gets warmer, I change to lighter gloves. Great stuff.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live in San Diego area, I don't need no stinkin 'lectric clothes; Weather report in Chula Vista (San Diego Suburb) said temp would reach 71 with High Wind Warnings. Regardless of high winds went riding with Silverback; had to take advantage of the 71 deg temp. Started the ride around 7:30am... it was 26 deg :eek:4: ... in South San Diego County. All you gents from the colder climates, I have learned my lesson. I will show appropriate respect when you say temps are in 20's and the ride was brisk but enjoyable :bow: . i still think heated clothing in San Diego sounds bizarre :?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
controller

Nothing special. I just hook the dual controler on the belt of my jacket. Nothing slick like these custom installations (which I envy) but good enough.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I just stick mine under the left "wing" of the seat bolster when I use it, throw it in the trunk when not needed. If I needed it for longer rides and it tried to work itself out (hasn't yet), I could just put a Velcro pad on each - wouldn't be noticed in the area under the wing.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Fred, I saw that show about 6 months ago. It was pretty amazing what that guy can go through. I have you ever thought about using a Permament controller? I have my knob next to my Key. Looks very stock. Then I installed my BMW plug just below the suspension panel on the left side. Again, looks very stock. Just plug the cord into the socket and away you go.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Darnit anyway.. I bought entirely toooo much chrome and another bike so I cannot afford the electric clothing.. :wink: :wink: Seriously I really do not want it as yet. I am not burning any bridges on this subject as yet..but I feel like if it is cold enough to need electrics it is time to stay home or take the truck :wink: :wink:

I rode the new Vulcan to Michigan and it was 39 deg. when I left here. Now guys this bike has no farings or anything to aid in cold weather riding. I had on a HJC snowmobile jacket and a flannel shirt along with my chaps, and long underwear, and a thin balaclava (purchased from Cycledude) under my flip face Nolan helmet. Now the parts of me that got cold were my feet. About 30 miles from home the light came on... Hug the motor a little tighter with your legs stupid. Guess what, it helped alot in warming up my feet.

Since that trip I purchased a good pair of Harley boots. (yes Harley :wink:).. I then took a trip to Dayton Ohio on Vulcan. Same weather and same clothing again. This time I had no problem with cold feet at all. Just a little chilly.

I am almost certain the day will come when it reaches 40 deg. or colder I will have to either get electrics or drive the truck. :wink:

Somebody mentioned an interesting idea, (I think it was Rich) that maybe we should pop the chrome motor covers off the Wing when it is cold. I am going to try that the next time I have the Wing out on a cold day. You just have to be sure you do not lose any of the grommets. Mine are already held in place with small zip ties.

Ross

1 - 20 of 50 Posts