GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts that say they don't warm up the bike, but just fire it up and ride away. I've had my Wing since last July and I've built engines and raced a car for years. I can't figure out why warming an engine could be a bad thing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've read a few posts that say they don't warm up the bike, but just fire it up and ride away. I've had my Wing since last July and I've built engines and raced a car for years. I can't figure out why warming an engine could be a bad thing.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing?:shrug:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Same as Catch. warm it a minute or two while getting gear on and then ride off.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm old fashined also built a lot of motors over the years, I'm warming mine a minute or so before going soon as the idle starts to fall off a bit I know things are warm and oil has flowed

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I warm up the bike about the same time it takes me to dress for the ride.
If it's cold 4 or 5 minutes,about the same time it takes me to put on my cold weather gear.
If it's warm about a minute or so about how long it takes to put on helmet and leather jacket.Always ride 3 or 4 minutes slow in 3rd gear to get the transmission gears warm and coated.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I let it run for 3-4 minutes...while i'm gearing up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I usually wait long enough for the RPM's to drop off from the "high" idle before dropping it into gear. Thats usually about 3-4 minutes when its less than 50f/10c.

Thats usually enough time for me to take 'er off the centre stand, mount the bike, and back it down the driveway (the old fashioned way without reverse).

Jason

·
Registered
121 Posts
I read an article once that actually made sense in stating that there is no need to let the engine warm up by idleing, rather you should begin driving conservatively and the engine will warm up faster.....that being said, I let mine warm up for maybe a minute or so.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
No need for a warm up, very few people live next to the freeway on ramp and would be charging down the road at 70+ with a stone cold engine. For me, its several miles to the freeway so I just get on, get set, turn the key and go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I usually wait long enough for the RPM's to drop off from the "high" idle before dropping it into gear. Thats usually about 3-4 minutes when its less than 50f/10c.

Thats usually enough time for me to take 'er off the centre stand, mount the bike, and back it down the driveway (the old fashioned way without reverse).

Jason

:agree: R.J.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Crank and go ... Even in cold weather seems to work for me. Maybe 10 or 15 seconds idle when real cold.

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't put a load on the engine until it is warmed. Will drive conservatively for several blocks before I get into the throttle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I suit up for the ride while waiting for the coolant temperature gauge needle to move above the C (cold). I read it in the owners manual so it must be true.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
No need for a warm up, very few people live next to the freeway on ramp and would be charging down the road at 70+ with a stone cold engine. For me, its several miles to the freeway so I just get on, get set, turn the key and go.

:agree:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
And the Honda owners' manual says...?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mine warms up during my lockup of the garage and the time it takes to arm the security system. Approx 1 minute, regardless of temp.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Turn bike on and drive away. You're just wasting gas otherwise.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts