GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting some warm weather riding pants (mesh)
its often hot here in the south... thus the mesh pants idea... protection
in the knees/hips are a must have option..
If anyone has any experience with hot weather riding pants.. I would
appreciate hearing your thoughts on what brands are your favorite.. as far as fit and ease of putting them on.. and of coarse quality/value....

tia

cosmic

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have a pair of Joe Rocket mesh that are OK for hot weather. The knee armor is pretty good but the hip padding is pretty thin. The waist cinches are pretty robust, much better than the ones on the Ballistic pants. Heavy YKK zippers down the legs make the easy to put on over your boots.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Many endurance riders wear leather pants in summer. The only dissadvantage is that in case of rain you will need to change. I believe that leather is actually one of most comfortable summer materials you can wear. A very nice summer outfit is loose jean style leather pants and some comfortable loose well ventilated jacket like a Darien.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Cosmic,

I have no experience with mesh pants other than my mesh jacket. After I purchased my 1st Gear mesh jacket, I read an article in a motorcycle magazine that was warning prospective buyers that the synthetic mesh commonly found on outer garments could possibly melt in a high speed friction encounted with the blacktop, leaving you then with little or no protection at all.

The writer suggested, instead, to enquire with Motovation (that's what I believe the writer called them), because their mesh outer garments was made with kevlar.

Before this summer, I will inquire about the kevlar mesh pants from Motovation. Before you buy, perhaps you might want to check them out.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have Fieldsheer mesh pants. Good CE armour. Cooler than jeans, especially if you have Air Wings to direct the air flow onto you. My wife has mesh pants made by TourEasy. The Fieldsheer ones are much higher quality. Their Titanium Mesh Jacket is good also. Cool with very good protection.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
BMW summerpants. I've been wearing mine 5yrs now and still good. They're comfortable, breath well keeping me cool in GA summers, and have good CE padding in knees with optional good CE pads in hip and along side of femur. These look/feel very tough and I believe would protect very well from road rash and not tear apart.

Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
My wife and I have the Motoport (motoport.com) products and they are great. I have the Ultra II kevlar mesh nd just wear a pair of shorts under them. They can get warm in stop and go traffic but if your moving they're good. The best feature for me is that they are custom made to my size (I am tall and thin). If you consider these order early. It took about 8 weeks for an early May order. The later you wait the longer it takes.

If something happened to them I wouldn't give a second thought to buying the same thing.

Rick

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have the joe rocket phoenix mesh pants and they seem to fit my frame well. I have to agree with the above post that they are not as protective in the hips as some others I've seen. I usually just wear shorts under them and I'm very comfortable even in the heat of Phoenix in summer.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
CC,

I went with First Gears HT Air 2.0 Overpants

Ballistic meshtex construction
Abrasion resistant nylon panels
Waterproof/breathable Sheltex™ removable liner Temperfoam™ knee armor, plus pockets for hip armor
3 zippered pockets
Full length, 2 way leg zipper for easy on/off
Powerstretch panels at knees for comfort
Adjustable side waist belts and reflective trim
1 year limited manufacturer's waranty
Black

Good review and ordering information are located here:

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_ht_air_2_overpants_page.htm

The only downside being they come in any color you want as long as it is BLACK!

I wore mine from Los Angeles to Deal Gap and back this past JULY and even though I ran into some pretty high tempratures (118 degrees in the California Desert) the overpants were more comfortable (cooler) than just wearing jeans, at least while movng...

Excellent quality, very comfortable to wear and truly easy on/easy off. Fits well with my First Gear mesh jacket and the two pieces zipper together very easily. Comfortable over my jeans. I ordered a 46, but normally wear a 44. Fit is pretty good this away and is adjustable to take up any slack in the waist. Wearing over shorts is another comfort option.

I recently replaced my First Gear mesh jacket that I have had for about 5 years with this a FirstGear Mesh-Tex 3.0 Jacket w/ Liner.

I ordered the "Tall" version this time around and now my jacket really fits me well. I like it even more than my orginal First Gear jacket.

Again excellent quality, fit and comfort. This is the jacket I wear 75% of the time. I have a First gear Scout IV Leather jacket that I wear the other 25% of the time. Also a very high quality item.

I guess I have become a First Gear Fan, never been dissappointed by any of there products so far.

My wife has a set of First Gear similar to mine, but in a women's cut, (Not always an option with some manufacturers).

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Moose Brand-Sahara model

I used these years ago in dirt races in south Texas

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have FG mesh overpants, wear them all year. Liner in the winter and no liner all three other "seasons" (like we have seasons in AZ.) The zipper broke on the pants, I had a seamstress replace it with a hook and loop closure for a few bucks.

I don't buy the melting in a slide theory. I suppose it is possible but I've seen a few guys go down with mesh gear and not even get tear-throughs. Not really high speed, but most accidents are not high speed. Melting would be the least of my concerns.

My FG are a little light on protective armor, but it is an easy add on, I just have not done it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have the First Gear Mesh Tex Over pants and the Mesh Tex Pants. Sure, when it's 120 in Phx.. you're still hot.. but the mesh is nice and cool. The nice thing about the regular Mesh Tex pants is that they will fit over dress pants, so you can make them an overpant if you want to. Otherwise, I ride with a pair of spandex shorts and the Mesh Tex Pants... nice and cool.. good airflow!

I also have 2 First Gear Mesh Tex Air Jackets.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok.. it seems First Gear and Fieldsheer are favored by the above posts..

i saw one poster said that he had First Gear and the zipper broke...does anyone have any comments on the zippers on First Gear ?

putting the pants with boots are important as well as protection and quality...

any info would be appreciated..

thanks,

cosmic

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
i used to have a pair of the firstgear HT air overpants

they were VERY comfortable, easy on-off

my only real complaint was every time it rained my butt got wet, everything else stayed dry, i contacted firstgear and they said if u really want waterproof exchange them for the regular HT overpants so thats what i did

i will probably eventually get another pair of the HT air overpants for warm weather riding

my experience with firstgear has always been very good quallity stuff and i own several of thier products, just lastnite i was looking at the firstgear website and was a little disappointed to read thier warranty, 90 days on gloves and one year on everything else, seems like they could do better

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
OK you pants gurus. I want to get a pair of the mesh pants, but I don't want black! I know someone makes them in silver (so they will match my Goldwing Air-Tek jacket) but I have been unsuccessful in finding any.

Anyone have a suggestion where I might look?

Bartman

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a tour master "breeze" mesh jacket with the inner liner and the HT air mesh pants. I find the tourmaster jacket is my "all around" jacket now. My leather just sits in the closet unused now.

I will probably buy a pair of the HT overpants to use this spring to ride to work over my work pants/coat tie as I have to be semi-formal at work.

I am totally happy with the TM jacket but when the time comes to replace it I will go to first gear all around as I really like the pants and want a jacket to match...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Cosmic,

I have the Heine Gerike air overpants and I have ridden with all over (including a lot in your area :D)!

They are a very good quality pair of pants for all year riding down south.

My only real complaint is that like the others, they are BLACK and BLACK does absorb heat and they warm up a little during the summer.

I am considering a pair of Olympia Airsports 2 pants coming up because I can get them in SILVER (and thus reflect most of the heat).

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

Best for 2007!

Shane

1 - 20 of 26 Posts