GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an Aerostitch catalog today and they have an item called Warm Wrap Grips for $45. Lately the only thing that gets chilled when I ride are my hands so I've been thinking about adding something to help keep them warm. I've got Kury Grips so a traditional heated grip kit isn't an option but these seem to fit on top of your existing grips. Has anyone tried them?

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
I tried the grip wraps, first two sets didn't work they said the switch was bad, third set worked but by then I decided didn't want to mess with them. Have you considered the dual star heaters? they will work with your aftermarket grips.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/h ... p_kit1.htm
I am useing Kimpex grip heaters which are about the same as dual star but they use a resistor to reduce the heat on the low setting, you need to becarefull where the resistor is mounted because it can get hot enough to melt plastic. Dual star does not use a resistor so if I were doing it over would use dual star, didn't know about them till after I bought Kimpex. The grip heaters are the best $30 I ever spent on a motorcycle! :yw1:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The dual star wraps are fantastic! As cycledude said, the best $30 I've spent!! They work great under the Kury grips, have a hi-off-low switch. On high, you HAVE to wear gloves.

They take about 15-20 minutes to get heated up, but once they warm up, they work great.

Heated grips are nice to have, even in the spring/fall, when they days are warm and the nights are chilly. Don't have to change gloves, just kick the grips on low and keep on riding!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's a "senior moment", these fit underneath the grips? Do you have to remove the grips to install them? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They do go under the grips, so you would have to remove the Kury grips and install the wraps under them

·
Registered
84 Posts
Charlie,

I used the "Warm Wrap Grips" from Aerostich on my 88 Wing and on my 94 Wing too. They worked well. They're not as warm as the Honda Factory heated grips on my 01, but they don't cost as much either. My pair are still working and I recently gave them to a friend, who is still using them. Don't expect miracles, but they do make the difference between being uncomfortable and acceptable when the temperature is below 30 degrees.

Milt

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hope I have this post thing figured out. Do the Dual Star heater wraps fit under the original grips that came with my 02? It is fairly simple to remove the grips? Thanks

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
heated grips

I had the ones from aerostich, i only paid 30.00 for mine, they got really hot. After i put on the baker mirror wings, i no longer felt the need for grip warmers, so i sold them. JD

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
papalyn said:
I hope I have this post thing figured out. Do the Dual Star heater wraps fit under the original grips that came with my 02? It is fairly simple to remove the grips? Thanks
It is VERY easy if you are going to replace them with something else... one long slice with a razor blade and you are done ;)

If not... then it is not quite so easy. A slim screw driver, and some WD-40 and a lot of elbow grease to work the grip loose.

SOunds like a great opportunity to add some Kury ISO grips! :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
IB Mike- You have the hi-lo switch for the wraps. Is this adequate or would you think a Heat-troller would be called for better adjustment? What's your experience?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I don't want to replace the Kury grips I added in October so the Dual Stars (and anthing else that fits under the grips) are probably out. Thanks for the info, I'll probably go with the Wraps from Aerostitch or possibly step up to heated gloves.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
I have removed and reused the stock handgrips on two 1800's. slip a thin screw driver under the grip and work it around, WD40 will help or compressed air works well. I prefer the stock grips and would say it was a pretty easy job JMO
:yw1:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
warm wrap grips

i have kury iso grips on my wing. do these wraps give off enough heat to get through the heavy grips and on to my hands. is there any chance of damage or burning the rubber part.

also is there a controller to change the heat settings.

i am leaning toward the gerbings heated gloves, but these do interest me. i really like the kury iso grips, mostly because i have good sized hands and they seem to be very comfy due to their large size compared to the factory grips.

thanks loren :?:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
BuffaloChuck said:
IB Mike- You have the hi-lo switch for the wraps. Is this adequate or would you think a Heat-troller would be called for better adjustment? What's your experience?

Thanks for the input.
I've never used a heat troller, so I don't have the experience to answer your question. I suppose being able to actually control the level would be nice, but the hi-low works for me :

Mabe I just don't know what I am missing... lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: warm wrap grips

loren said:
i have kury iso grips on my wing. do these wraps give off enough heat to get through the heavy grips and on to my hands. is there any chance of damage or burning the rubber part.
They (the Dual Stars) do a great job of heating the ISO grips. On HI you have to wear gloves. I had the bike running in the garage for 1/2 hour trying to charge up my battery, forgot I had the grips on HI and grabbed the grips and them puppies were HOT!! Had them on for a year and have noticed no damage to the rubber.

ALSO, recommend you use grip glue made for heated grips. I just bought the stuff Dual Star sells, worked just fine.

loren said:
also is there a controller to change the heat settings.
They have a metal throw switch HI-OFF-LOW
I didn't have much time before I did my 100CC ride, which is when I installed the grip wraps. I wanted to use a rocker switch, but couldn't find what I was looking for before I ran out of time. Will replace the metal throw switch sometime.

loren said:
i am leaning toward the gerbings heated gloves, but these do interest me. i really like the kury iso grips, mostly because i have good sized hands and they seem to be very comfy due to their large size compared to the factory grips.

thanks loren :?:
You can get the Kury ISO grips off, add the Dual Star wraps, and put the Kurys back on, no problem!

·
Registered
41 Posts
dual star grip warmers and Heattroller

I have the Dual star grip warmers on 2 different bikes. I added the Heattroller on one and will soon be adding it to the other bike. The Hi/Low switch is o.k. but as you might expect being able to precisely control the heat level is much better. The Heattroller that is designed for use with the heated grips only cost $50, add that to the cost of the grip warmers and you end up with a nice set-up for $80.
I have not tried the Honda grip heaters but I can't imagine that they would work any better than this set-up does.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts