GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the bike in the garage and I'm ready to start making it mine. I've put thousands of $$$$ into just about every bike that I've owned in the past.

I am facing a delima here. The bike looks like it's already done! I can't imagine just what should go on first. I've been looking at all the pics and I just can't decide.

What is the consensus as the "must have" accessory for the GL1800 Wing?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Shaaa.

I don't think you need any Must Haves (listen to me talk). However I think the first call you make, should be to your Credit Card Company, and demand that they cut your credit limit to $250 bucks. This will make it a little more challenging.

Is your bike New?

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
rider comfort first for me

utopia backrest

kury iso grips

satellite radio

tank of gas

loren

·
Registered
979 Posts
Accessories

:D It all depends what kind of improvements you are looking for, some like chrome some like functional or both. Personally if I had to pick the best accessories intalled on mine they would be Tulsa windshield VP tunnel fillers and Ted Harper led lights in the rear trim, boy your credit card company will love you after your all done, once adding on starts it seems like it never stops.LOL :D :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

G

·
beef up the stereo dude......add rear speakers, amp. I gotta have my tunes while cruising down the blacktop at 5 mph over the posted speed.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
baker wings, butler cup, bushtec hitch, cargo trays, cruiswing sidestand, chrome intakes, brake covers, fender extension, gps mount, risers, helmet hangers, backrest, chrome levers, pass.arm rest with pouches, transformers, mud flap, rear tire guard, throttle plate, wide view mirrors, accuman gauges, cb, front led reflector, opera lites, fog lites, led trunk & saddlebags, chrome license plate frame, heated grips, better speakers & amp, xm, sony mini recorder, headsets,rivco instr. lites, jon's temperture flasher, GPS, and a trailer. JUST FOR STARTERS !!!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
baker wings, butler cup, bushtec hitch, cargo trays, cruiswing sidestand, chrome intakes, brake covers, fender extension, gps mount, risers, helmet hangers, backrest, chrome levers, pass.arm rest with pouches, transformers, mud flap, rear tire guard, throttle plate, wide view mirrors, accuman gauges, cb, front led reflector, opera lites, fog lites, led trunk & saddlebags, chrome license plate frame, heated grips, better speakers & amp, xm, sony mini recorder, headsets,rivco instr. lites, jon's temperture flasher, GPS, and a trailer. JUST FOR STARTERS !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GL03 said:
Good grief...I said "it looked finished" aleady. Thanks for busting the bubble. I hope I can afford gas when I'm done.

Where's the best place to get all this stuff?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
this is like asking which oil to use. :lol:

I think the "must haves" are a Tulsa Belly pan to protect the coolant tank,running or fog lights to increase visibility and a backrest to make longer rides much more comfortable.

Beyond that there a lot of things you "should have" :twisted:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Minority Opinion

You won't see this opinion much.

I'd just drive it around for a while.

See bikes at rallies, Dairy Queens :D , wherever. Do you like the clean, sporty look, or the dressed out look? Do you have a buffeting problem? (Depends on spine lenth and riding position.)

I know your fingers are itchin', but I've only kept about a third of the stuff I've put on my Wing. Now I just wait until I see something that really appeals to me before I buy it.

Currently I have a Tulsa extra tall windshield, full Baker air wings, VP highway pegs, dash cover/instrument shade, Ram mounted SPIII, Kennedy cell set, mp3 hard disk player.

Next project: EC amp and four speaker set up.

I appreciate the things I have on the bike because I rode quite a while without them.

Likewise I removed a lot of things I tried because, having ridden quite a while without them, it was clear to me that the bike was better without them. This may not have been so clear had I put them on shortly after getting the bike.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Personally, I go for the safety items first. Basically, extra lighting. Driving/fog lights up front, and bag and trunk lighting on the rear. Anything that will make you more visible. Also the Tulsa belly pan. Then go for the backrest, highway pegs/boards, drivers floorboards, bigger windshield, what ever makes you more comfortable. After that you can start with the chrome accessories if that's what you want. Satellite radio is a great addition to any type of vehical.

You don't have to add everything you want all at once. Spread it out over time and extend your enjoyment of personalizing your bike. This will give your credit card a little breathing room too. Make a list of what you want to install and then prioritize it. What's most important to you?

·
Registered
115 Posts
ShaaaWING said:
.... What is the consensus as the "must have" accessory for the GL1800 Wing?
1. Single most important item = Tulsa Belly pan. I didn't really believe it, gutted my coolant overflow tank on a speedbump at a restuarant the second week I had my GL1800! I've hit several speed bumps since then, which scraped up the belly pan some, but no damage. If you don't do this, sooner or later you WILL ruin your coolant overflow tank too. (just look underneath, right in from of the rear tire, it hangs down an inch or so, just waiting to get whacked) Label this one: protecting your investment.

2. If you don't mind the price, or the looks, the Honda rear spoiler, complete with the Electrical Connection cable that makes it a run/brake light. Huge improvement in rear visibility, and up high where it is most noticeable. Label this one: Protecting your rear. :D

3. Cargo Keepers from Crisco (Closet Chef, here on this forum). Slips into the saddlebags, and makes storing things in them SO much easier! Label this: Why didn't Honda include these as standard equipment!

Then, ride it for a while. Consider riding position. You may want a custom seat, highway pegs, or backrest.

Wind protection. Some get helmet buffeting, some don't. If you do, consider "mirror wings", either from Baker, or Tulsa. You may want a different windshield, or be satisfied with the OEM. Many of us use "wind wings", by Baker, Tulsa, or others. Some hate the looks of them, others swear by them. VP tunnel fillers help reduce the air coming up along the forks, although they look kind of cheesy, if anyone looks REAL close. I kind of like them for cold weather riding, and they are cheap.

If you ride in cold weather a lot, you may want to consider heated grips.

Safety lighting: Trunk and Saddlebag LED lighting, helps increase your visibilty, especially from the side. Stealth lights also help side visibility.

If you ride with other goldwings a lot, like for instance GWRRA group rides, a CB is really nice. Not just for chatting, but knowing ahead of time what the group is going to do before they execute.

After that, consider anything else that you'd LIKE to have. The toys for the GL1800 just never seem to end. :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Must have list

Repeat after me"

ONE OF EACH

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
What will save a lot of time and worry is this:: Just call Hal at HDL and tell him to send you a surprise box once a month with say, $250.00 of merchandise in it. This way you can be surprised each month and always have something to do. At this rate it should take about 16 months to fully dress/personalize your bike :) :)

I use a debit card instead of a credit card so I do not take a chance of losing the great savings I get from Hal.....

My wing is currently on a time share with the credit union, but I hope to solve that problem soon. All of the accessories are mine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ShaaaWING,

(1) TRUNK LID SPOILER FITTED AS RUN AND BRAKE LIGHT.

(2) TULSA BELLY PAN.

(3) TULSA MIRROR WIND DEFLECTORS.

(4) KURYAKYN TURN DOWN EXHAUST TIPS.

(5) WOOD FITTED DASH OF YOUR CHOICE.

(6) SHOWCHROME NOSE TRIM.

(7) C.D. PLAYER OF YOUR CHOICE.

(8) TRUNK AND PANNIER CHROME WITH OR WITHOUT LIGHTS.

(9) KURYAKYN FRONT FENDER EXT.

(10) ANY OF A THOUSAND OTHER PARTS. :wink: :lol: :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts