GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the past couple of months, I've been involved with 3 people who had installed aftermarket alternator's purchase on eBay, and their engines need removed because the alternator destroyed their rear ADG bearing. Please keep in mind that I do not have, or have personally touched any of these alternators, but I will share with your what I know. Let me explain.

For the past few months, I've been helping a guy over the phone in Washington state pull his engine after he'd replaced his alternator with one from eBay. After a short time, he ended up with a growling noise that sounded like a train. He pulled his new alternator only to find bearing-cage-metal on the inside lip of his alternator. He did send me pictures, but can't find them.

There is now one in my shop where a the customer got one from the same vender, he replaced it, and 40 miles later had a serious rattle noise. He removed the alternator, found bearing-cage-metal on the alternators inner lip also, shipped the alternator back for a refund and brings me his Wing. His Wing is in for an engine pull to replace the ADG bearings and possibly the ADG too (approx cost $3,200+ tax). I've seen his metal shavings ... they are in a baggy in his trunk, and this is all I know at this point.

And now on another forum, there is this one too. I've been helping this guy for the past couple of weeks. He posted some pictures.

Here is a video ... you can see that the shaft is bent.

Warning to all ... only use OEM alternators, starters, and starter relays. Anything else usually yields poor results. In the above cases, using aftermarket alternators caused internal bearing damage where the engines had to be pulled to repair the damage.

Registered
Looks like an expensive OEM alternator is actually a cheap alternative. 馃槓

Vendor
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pictures of the bearing retainer shaving from the one currently in my shop.

GL1800 Doctor
Yep, I鈥檝e been on that other board and saw the OPs pictures. Turns out the aftermarket alternator has an out of round machined spline and/or a bent shaft. The $300-400 saved on the aftermarket alternator has disappeared into the 鈥減ulling the engine鈥 crevasse.

Registered
Yep! Proves my point, nothing good comes out of China, we'll unless you consider stink bugs, snakeheads, and coronavirus good. Gotta be careful when you buy these aftermarket parts. Always make sure they are certified by Harry S. Chung as he guarantees they are manufactured in the Hung-Low Province, which is where the premier manufacturer of top quality counterfeit parts is located. That said, I am sticking with genuine Honda parts!!!!.

Vendor
Discussion Starter #8
Any thoughts on having the OEM one rebuilt by a reliable electrical shop?
Good choice and insist on supplying your own parts and get them from Honda. My alternator shop stocks 3 grades of rear alternator bearings. He proudly said he has them as cheap as $5.08. When he said that I almost chocked ... my response was "for my customers I need a bearing with like $35 of quality." I always bring both front and rear bearings, 2 brushes, and a front seal. If it needs more parts than that, you'll then have to decide if a better choice is to by a new OEM alternator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts