GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
18,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is 2 for 2 in 2 days. I posted the 1st one 2 days ago and here is the second one. This one also has the axle pin incorrecly installed. And yes, that is a loose sinch bolt on the left outer. If you had new tires installed at WingDing, loosen and retorque your wheels according to the procedure in the Honda Service Manual. There were tire installers there using air tools instead of hand tools and torque wrenches.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
WOW:eek:4:

This is unbelieveable that a vendor would not know how to install these tires/rims in the proper manner.

Hope no one gets injured.

Might want to call 1-800-ASK-GARY
ROZ will answer.

Jim

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didnt have tires installed at Wing Ding but thanks for the heads up! :bow:

If I did though, I would be pissed if they screwed my stuff up.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Same dealer install tires on both bikes?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Time is money at the rallies, they try to do as many as possible in one day, knowing they will probably never see you again.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
A rally is the last place anyone should consider for maintenance work. You have absolutely no recourse against shoddy workmanship, counterfeit/sub-standard parts.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
This is why I do my own!:thumbup:

·
Vendor
18,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is more. The big bolt that screws into the right side of the axel nut that should be torqued to 44 ft/lbs was finger tight. Because of that loose bolt and the fact that the axel was not lined up correctly, there was about a 3/16" gap between the left wheel spacer and the fat area of the axel shaft.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
A pilot/aircraft owner friend of mine once told me the most dangerous flight you take is the first one out of the repair shop.

Same thing for any vehicle. Always inspect the vehicle (if possible) before you sign for it. And definitely before you ride off on it.

I understand that the techs are under time pressure to get the jobs out die to the large number of people waiting to be serviced. But if they can't take the time to do the job right, then they should have a cut-off on the number that they can service.

But we all know that would not go over well, telling dozens of people waiting in line at a show to get tires installed that you have no more time slots available and that you won't get your tires installed.

And I am sure that they would not be too happy if some customer, after getting his tires installed, stopped to inspect the work right on the floor in the middle of the aisle. Especially if the customer found something amiss and starting some verbal fireworks in the middle of the show. But maybe that is what they need.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
A rally is the last place anyone should consider for maintenance work. You have absolutely no recourse against shoddy workmanship, counterfeit/sub-standard parts.
:thumbup:

..and add to that the time pressure the installers are under to get the numbers up and the work out the door.

..and the fact that most people at those rallies like WingDing ride hundreds of miles to the event and at least as far on their return home.

·
Banned
939 Posts
shh....

Matt(BCNV) has been putting way too many fun shenanigans in my head tonight. It is all folly in the end.

So a new tire sounds nice look and the efficiency of it all and that PRICE! Hum, that air compressor; no worries I am sure they are using that drive for digging tent stake holes., heck after this stop I think I am gonna go check out the new two tone shotguns.

Always wanted me one of those. All them toys and what the heck at this price might as well put some new life under the forks. These guys are legit right its Wingding.

I say, I never once saw a new WingDinger who could get sold?

Keep up the good fight GoldWingerGreg!

Something tells me it is going to take consistent patience and a few more generations as some things never change unfortunately.

Most of it is true relax! Even bad work usually lasts a long time. Well sometimes anyway.

Enjoy it out there.

Get your hands on your own bike more often all she likes it all over.

·
Registered
496 Posts
.... There were tire installers there using air tools instead of hand tools and torque wrenches.

Last year at Americade, I considered purchasing and have tires installed by a major manufacturer. Before doing so, I watched the installers work on others tires. Obviously missing from the scene were torque wrenches. I asked the person taking sales orders if they used torque wrenches to re-install hardware. His response, "no...but not to worry, we're going to be within 5 ft. lbs. or so without them".

Based on that comment, I didn't buy those tires...after reading this post and the other I'm sure glad that I didn't. What's that saying??? caveat emptor:nojoke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:thumbup:

..and add to that the time pressure the installers are under to get the numbers up and the work out the door.

..and the fact that most people at those rallies like WingDing ride hundreds of miles to the event and at least as far on their return home.
I think they just hire kids or those who do not have a clue. I work under pressure all the time. Does not bother me. I just grin at them.

Large motel yesterday, started with the jackhammer at 10 am. Repair on a two inch copper line under slab, behind a 4 inch conduit, in the mud, was professionally done. So tired I could hardly move by 8 p.m. But you just make darn sure the repair is properly done.

That attitude is no longer prevalent in anything. Takes a bit more time, cuts into the profit margin, to spend a bit more time on it.

Just like going to the Doctor, in and out in ten minutes, run them through there fast, take this pill and call me in the morning. Lol!!

Most of the shops I have had experience with, do not know which end of the hammer to beat with.

I had loose pinch bolts and a loose axle nut years ago on my Shadow. I dropped it off for new tires. Never again. No one is messing with my ride but me.

Too much distraction , too much trying to do too much, go to a supply house to get five fittings and a section of pipe. I can assure you one on the counter will get and answer five phone calls. Type in the wrong size fittings in the computer and deliver again a wrong size than he typed. You best check it all. They get pissed when you call them on it too, you said this..........no sunshine, you typed that. Pay attention to me, not your damm phone. :joke::joke:

Besides those kids have to polish their nose rings, and adjust their earrings. And if they get grease on their hand, oh my......I am gonna get cancer....

Yea air tools, strip a few fasteners, I have to go weld some new bolt studs on a boiler because someone, used an air ratchet to tighten the bolts on the boiler fire tube plates and stripped them. Cool...........like the maytag man..........pay me later. Lol!!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
"Torque wrenches? We use professionals. They don't need torque wrenches. They have years of experience with well calibrated senses that are just as accurate as a torque wrench."

Translation......our mechanics can't read. :lol:

Last year at Americade, I considered purchasing and have tires installed by a major manufacturer. Before doing so, I watched the installers work on others tires. Obviously missing from the scene were torque wrenches. I asked the person taking sales orders if they used torque wrenches to re-install hardware. His response, "no...but not to worry, we're going to be within 5 ft. lbs. or so without them".

Based on that comment, I didn't buy those tires...after reading this post and the other I'm sure glad that I didn't. What's that saying??? caveat emptor:nojoke:

·
Registered
11 Posts
:wrong: There may be reasons for shoddy work, but there is absolutely NO excuse for it, where MY safety is concerned.

If you do your own work, invest in torque wrenches if you don't already have them.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Who was the vendor????? If shoddy work was done we need to know who
to avoid dealing with at these events......I doubt the poor workmanship
is a wing ding only issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts