GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the economic downturn felt at the state and local level of gov look for them to make up budget shortfalls through more traffic enforcement and findings of guilty. Spring and summer are approaching and as we begin to take to the roads and crank on that throttle, we do like our speed, don't be surprised that traffic enforcement will increase. Selective enforcement, as it was in the past, may not be an option for state and local gov that are feeling the revenue pinch. Be watchful and careful especially when out of county and/or state.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good advice. This wouldn't surprise me one bit with the way things are going.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
This doesn't affect those of us who do 1 mph under the speed limit at all times in all circumstances.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I don't try to "beat" the ticket. I'm willing to pay my fines if I screwed up. What you CAN do is plead "not guilty". Get your new court date. Go in early (about 1/2 hour), ask to speak with prosecutor. When you get to speak with him/her, explain that you are man enough to pay the fine for YOUR screw up, but would like to get the ticket knocked down to a non-moving violation. I haven't had one yet that wouldn't do that for me. They only want the money. They could give 2 ****s about the points. It's ALWAYS been this way. Nothing new. Get over it.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't try to "beat" the ticket. I'm willing to pay my fines if I screwed up. What you CAN do is plead "not guilty". Get your new court date. Go in early (about 1/2 hour), ask to speak with prosecutor. When you get to speak with him/her, explain that you are man enough to pay the fine for YOUR screw up, but would like to get the ticket knocked down to a non-moving violation. I haven't had one yet that wouldn't do that for me. They only want the money. They could give 2 ****s about the points. It's ALWAYS been this way. Nothing new. Get over it.

Thanks hoss,
I heard people doing this but never know how it worked.

We had one of our medical van drivers getting pulled over going 10 miles over in a school zone.
He went to court and the judge thank him for showing up, put down his speedometer was off without no fine or points.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Lotsa threads on trafic law enforcement lately. I'm always confused when guys on motorcycles complain about this, since law violators wipe so many of us out.

I rented a bike in Costa Rica. It was fun, but dangerous, since traffic law enforcement outside the cities is lax. It got a little old riding around corners, while scanning the side of the (shoulderless) road, gauging the possibilities if I had to take to the ditch to avoid someone coming the other way over the double yellow. Or, exiting corners, being careful someone wasn't simply parked on the (shoulderless) road (that was fairly common). Treating green lights as "yield" signs.

Outside the Costa Rican cities there's mostly only one traffic law cop. But he wears a black hood, and carries a sickle. And he may give you a ticket when it's the other guy's fault. I'll take this country and law enforcement, any time.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Mike,

My brother-in-law just got another ticket. This would have been his 12th point (mandatory suspension). I told him to go this route. He did. Ticket dropped to lower charge. no points, just a small fine and a HUGE court cost. But, he still has his license. I wish he would grow up. He just got layed off. he doesn't need to be putting out any more money than necessary.

Besides that, my sister could whoop some ass. I don't even like messing with her. hahaha

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
This doesn't affect those of us who do 1 mph under the speed limit at all times in all circumstances.
You and my Wife! If we need to get somewhere, I do the driving.

I don't switch lanes much, and ALWAYS use my blinkers, but I will travel 4-9 MPH over the limit.

Sometimes I drive in a gear lower than I want just so I won't speed.

I am not a Ninja type, but a cruiser type.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I usually travel just a hair faster than traffic to keep what I consider better situational control and vision down the road. Out in the great beyond this may change a bit depending on the availability of rabbits.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Point Well Made

Lotsa threads on trafic law enforcement lately. I'm always confused when guys on motorcycles complain about this, since law violators wipe so many of us out.
Point very well discerned and made.

"Truth always stands, naked & unashamed, in the light of its own merit".

If we want safer roads for all, we have to do our own part, too. Yeah, the Cagers have the added protection of their steel wombs, but the little kiddies chasing their ball into the street on foot do not. This comes from one who's delved into the function of a traffic homicide investigator, who's seen way too much.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Around here, if you drove " 1 mile an hour under the speed limit at all times" you'd get your arse run-over.

But yes, John Law is also feeling the economic pinch.... and citations ARE a source of revenue.

To me it's sort of a double-whammy. On the one hand it might be good that they're giving out more tickets and maybe that would make people more aware. Or not. On the other hand, I might be one of those getting the ticket. I'm a "speed-limit +5" kinda guy (mostly) but there are times.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts