GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who think you are covered under your State Farm policy and have FULL coverage better ask your agent "IF" you and your passenger are covered for any type of accident.

I believe that you will be surprised to learn that the most that you are covered for is $2000 medical. That my friends will NOT pay your medical bills if you are injuried. "IF" you are paying extra for medical coverage ask how much coverage that you have.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your time.....Ride Safe and Ride informed

·
Registered
552 Posts
wingman57 said:
Those of you who think you are covered under your State Farm policy and have FULL coverage better ask your agent "IF" you and your passenger are covered for any type of accident.

I believe that you will be surprised to learn that the most that you are covered for is $2000 medical. That my friends will NOT pay your medical bills if you are injuried. "IF" you are paying extra for medical coverage ask how much coverage that you have.
Did you just find this out? :roll:

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I don't know if anyone in Fl writes medical on the driver. Some will write a little on the passenger.

My medical bills and chopper flight for my May 3 accident is over $70,000 so far. You better make sure you have your behinds covered. I did!

Uninsured motorist is a smart thing to also have on your bike insurance. UM doubles my premium. :?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't know if anyone in Fl writes medical on the driver
SF doesn't cover the passenger either. If you elect to get medical it's an extra $113.00 for $2000.00 coverage. I just went round and round with SF after being informed by Wingman57 on another thread. My agent said a passenger would be covered by liability. It's all very confusing to me. So that means they're doing a good job keeping people like me in the dark. They don't disclose this good info when you buy the insurance, which really pi$$'d me off. Crooks & Thieves is what I say. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. :x 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
How ya doing Rodehard. Glad to see you back!

In NY, A motorcyclist is "NOT" covered by no fault! Ergo, you better carry good insurance for yourself and your rider.

In NY, Progressive Insurance covers Myself and my Passenger for $10,000 each for medical payments, but you need to ask your broker for the coverage and pay for it.

As Red said, Emergency Medical coverage is very expensive. When I had my accident in 96', had I not had excellent private health insurance, I would have been tossed in the crapper without a paddle. I very well could have lost my home, savings and future.

My medical bills were in excess of $276,000 and Meesh had in excess $172,000 in medical bills. See it Ain't cheap.

When purchasing insurance, one would be wise to shop for coverage, not just price.

Bulldog

·
Registered
552 Posts
Big Wes said:
My agent said a passenger would be covered by liability.
Yep... you get into a crash and your passenger is injured, he/she can sue your insurance company for damages up to your liability limits. However you are on your own if you get hurt and need to be covered by health insurance or be self insured.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If you and your passenger have health insurance you are covered for injuries anyway - why pay for it on the vehicle too. I just dropped medical from all my vehicle insurance as it was double coverage.

Correct me if I am wrong but pretty sure this is the case from talking to both my health (BCBS) and vehicle (SF) insurance carriers.

I think whoever said passengers are covered by the liability part of the policy is correct - if you are at fault, everyone else in the accident is covered for liability even those in/on your vehicle.

I agree - they make this confusing as hell so that is why I just recently sit down with my agent - my insurance sky rocketed when I moved to Dallas from VA so I made a lot of changes.

G

·
Bulldog said:
My medical bills were in excess of $276,000 and Meesh had in excess $172,000 in medical bills. See it Ain't cheap.

Bulldog
Geeeezzzz Dog, Those body's of yours and the misses should be in the bank valt........ :lol:

I hope there's no after effects, and at those prices you'll both live to be 150 yrs. old.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Red said:
Uninsured motorist is a smart thing to also have on your bike insurance. UM doubles my premium. :?
I hear you - it is pathetic you have to pay your own insurance and the insurance for those that don't bother to get it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Better check your health insurance coverage too. Some exclude injuries sustained in motorcycl riding, skydiving, scuba diving, etc.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You better have your butt covered in Florida because most elect for the state minimum and that ant much better have under insured coverage

·
Registered
552 Posts
Geogyporgy said:
Better check your health insurance coverage too. Some exclude injuries sustained in motorcycl riding, skydiving, scuba diving, etc.
Only if you're a stunt winger :wink:

I carry $2,500 med on my bike insurance to cover my deductable for my health insurance. It only adds another $15 or so to the policy.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Bulldog said:
How ya doing Rodehard. Glad to see you back!

In NY, A motorcyclist is "NOT" covered by no fault! Ergo, you better carry good insurance for yourself and your rider.

In NY, Progressive Insurance covers Myself and my Passenger for $10,000 each for medical payments, but you need to ask your broker for the coverage and pay for it.

As Red said, Emergency Medical coverage is very expensive. When I had my accident in 96', had I not had excellent private health insurance, I would have been tossed in the crapper without a paddle. I very well could have lost my home, savings and future.

When purchasing insurance, one would be wise to shop for coverage, not just price.

Bulldog
Dawg,

Rodehard's back?

I certainly hope not. :shock: :shock:

later..Randy

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Ironbutt Ken said:
I have medical insurance thru my work. Why would I want to pay for it again with my vehicle coverage.
Does any passenger that you might have on the back have medical insurance also? It's a CYA thing for sure......

·
Registered
552 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
Dawg,

Rodehard's back?

later..Randy
Damn... did rodehard piss you off too? That dude must just be plain evil :roll:

Ironbutt Ken said:
I have medical insurance thru my work. Why would I want to pay for it again with my vehicle coverage.
I'm self employed, so I have to pay for my own insurance. Chances are if I get hurt it's going to be in a motorcycle or auto accident. That's the reason for medical on an auto or motorcycle policy. It will either cover an emergency room visit for road rash and minor bandages, or it will cover my deductable if things are more serious.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tell you for a fact, that motorcycle insurance is NOT mandatory in Florida because you ride a motorcycle. Now that is real scary! There should be a law against that! If I have to pay to cover my butt and others, it should be the same for everyone.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
wingman57 said:
I can tell you for a fact, that motorcycle insurance is NOT mandatory in Florida because you ride a motorcycle. Now that is real scary! There should be a law against that! If I have to pay to cover my butt and others, it should be the same for everyone.
This was a shock to me when I first heard this and then confirmed this several months ago with DMV. :shock:

Many of these teenagers on these rocket bikes have no insurance what so ever, yet they're doing over 100 mph on US-1 (45 mph limit) when passing me from behind, and especially at night is very worry some. :shock:

·
Registered
939 Posts
azblackbird said:
INTHEWIND said:
Dawg,

Rodehard's back?

later..Randy
Damn... did rodehard piss you off too? That dude must just be plain evil :roll:

Ironbutt Ken said:
I'm self employed, so I have to pay for my own insurance. Chances are if I get hurt it's going to be in a motorcycle or auto accident. That's the reason for medical on an auto or motorcycle policy. It will either cover an emergency room visit for road rash and minor bandages, or it will cover my deductable if things are more serious.
Then you have the option of being covered with your health insurance company or if that doesn't apply paying the extra and being covered under your cycle insurance policy. I'm sure you don't want to pay twice for the same coverage either.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes I knew that. Auto/MC insurance in Indiana only covers the $2K you mentioned. The main source of hospital or medical costs is health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield, for example), not auto insurance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts