GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to run this by everybody and if anyone else is having a similar problem. I have a 13 Wing and it keeps warping the rear brake rotor. First one warped at 1600 miles (which Honda replaced) and the second one warped at 3200 miles. They've done a brake drag test and it's not dragging. Right now I'm waiting on the regional tech rep to figure out what to do. Right now the only thing I can think of to do is this: if they send another brake rotor, have it heat treated to 58-60 RC and see if that will keep it from warping. Anybody else having this problem? Btw, I do ride pretty hard & fast...but I don't think that should be an issue.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
... Btw, I do ride pretty hard & fast...but I don't think that should be an issue.
I think it would be the stopping pretty hard and fast that could cause the problem.

Be sure your not riding the brake without realizing it? Is your toe above or be love the brake pedal while riding?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The only rider error I can think of as being plausible is if your big ole #14 shoe is riding the brake peddle for long durations. Otherwise it is the sticking master cylinder problem and they are idiots for not replacing it. The so called drag test associated with the recall will only find the problem if the problem is active during the test. Since the secondary master problem can be intermittent, passing the test means little; although failing the test is a sure sign of a bad secondary.

prs

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it would be the stopping pretty hard and fast that could cause the problem.

Be sure your not riding the brake without realizing it? Is your toe above or be love the brake pedal while riding?
Yep, I'm not riding the brake. It's above the pedal. Plus, you have to move the pedal about a 1/4" before it starts the apply pressure. With this going on, even after the first rotor change...I was overly mentally aware of what my right foot was doing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only rider error I can think of as being plausible is if your big ole #14 shoe is riding the brake peddle for long durations. Otherwise it is the sticking master cylinder problem and they are idiots for not replacing it. The so called drag test associated with the recall will only find the problem if the problem is active during the test. Since the secondary master problem can be intermittent, passing the test means little; although failing the test is a sure sign of a bad secondary.

prs
Yeah, that's what I think is going on...a master cylinder problem. It's not a big 'ol #14 shoe problem....I wear a size 8.5.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Secondary master cylinder, the one mounted on the left front fork that pivots when the front pads of that caliper grab the rotor and thus active the linked circuit to the rear caliper. It could be a flaw in the rear master, but we have not heard much about that as a problem.

prs

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
My 2013 has a rear brake chatter. Rotor looks like it has been hot. 13k miles on the bike

About a month ago as the higher temps in AZ hit.. I noticed a slight chatter on pedal apply of rear brake as I slowed during freeway exit. this was after 30+ miles at freeway speed.

I started to pay very close attention to this. When it is hot out, all I need to do is slightly touch the brake pedal and the bike will chatter. More pressure on the pedal , the chatter is nearly gone.

This is my 4th 1800 bike, doubtful I am the cause of this. None of my other 1800's had this chatter problem

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know when yours does it, but mine has the chatter at lower speeds...below 40 mph & is really noticeable below 20 mph. At highway speeds it's non-existent. Apparently, the regional tech rep is on vacation this week & will be back on Tuesday next week...we'll see what he says.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Riding through water deep enough to get a very hot rotor wet can cause a rotor to warp. I had this problem on a 2007 Lexus.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Secondary master cylinder, the one mounted on the left front fork that pivots when the front pads of that caliper grab the rotor and thus active the linked circuit to the rear caliper. It could be a flaw in the rear master, but we have not heard much about that as a problem.

prs
There was a recall a year or two ago, about the Secondary Master Cylinder causing the rear brake to drag. You might want to Ask you dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Yeah, that's what I think is going on...a master cylinder problem. It's not a big 'ol #14 shoe problem....I wear a size 8.5.
I believe Fred may have had a similar problem with the chatter. Maybe he will catch this thread and help. (Even if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I don't know when yours does it, but mine has the chatter at lower speeds...below 40 mph & is really noticeable below 20 mph. At highway speeds it's non-existent. Apparently, the regional tech rep is on vacation this week & will be back on Tuesday next week...we'll see what he says.
At freeway exit speed : chatter is mild & quick pulses... 45mph and down the chatter is very strong. Since I have ridden for 40+ yrs, I use both front and rear brake together most of the time

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
There was a recall a year or two ago, about the Secondary Master Cylinder causing the rear brake to drag. You might want to Ask you dealer to look at it.
Agree, see post #3.

prs

·
Registered
168 Posts
....Right now the only thing I can think of to do is this: if they send another brake rotor, have it heat treated to 58-60 RC and see if that will keep it from warping.....
I would not modify anything, unless you are willing to negate Honda's role in this and become responsible for all future Rotor $$$$$$$ replacements.

Just my thoughts

Bulldog

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Didn't Rocky fix the chatter problem by bleeding air from the junction on the left side brake "plumbing"..?
.. where the hard brake lines connect to the flexible brake lines?

Not a regular bleed point, but air that got trapped in the junction connector.

Dennis

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Didn't Rocky fix the chatter problem by bleeding air from the junction on the left side brake "plumbing"..?

Dennis
Yes he did.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not modify anything, unless you are willing to negate Honda's role in this and become responsible for all future Rotor $$$$$$$ replacements.

Just my thoughts

Bulldog
It's not going to negate Honda's role...especially if they're on board and totally agree with it (as of now, they are).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Dennis
Nice, that's what I'm looking for...I'm going to have them check that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts

Dennis
thanks... I was wondering if my bike had some air in a line since the rear brake chatter became a problem for me as temps here got into the 110*F area for a while. As temp raised, the rear caliper could be slightly dragging on the rotor. Not enough for me to notice, yet enough to heat the rotor up

I mentioned I noticed the chatter a few weeks ago when I would exit the freeway, touch the brake pedal for a gentle slow down. Keep in mind I had been at freeway speed for 20 miles with no brakes applied by me.

I will give the hooligan: Rocky, a call .... if he takes my call . LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts