GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of post here and just finished reading about a warranty problem in the August 2011 Wing World magazine. With Mother Honda somewhat relunctant to honor some warranties, was wondering about the feasibility of purchasing extended warranties.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I don't think it is restricted to Mother Honda............

Put a lowering kit on your new Mustang and then go tell Ford you
are having suspension problems and see what happens.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Any warranties you must pay for:
You are betting you are going to have a failure, the warranty provider is betting you won't.
Up to you if you want to play or not.
Just remember: Any mods made or parts/accessories added that are not manufacturer approved and installed at an authorized dealership by a certified tech MAY void a warranty claim, if that mod or part is blamed for the failure or the dealer is honest and reports the mod or part to the manufacturer or a field rep shows up to review the failure and spots the mod or part.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
By the way it doesnt matter what accessory is put on your bike whether bought at a honda dealer ( trailor hitch) etc. it will void the warranty. Its a gamble. You need to remove all accessories that might contribute to the problem before you take it in for warranty work.

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
Any warranties you must pay for:
You are betting you are going to have a failure, the warranty provider is betting you won't.
Up to you if you want to play or not.
Just remember: Any mods made or parts/accessories added that are not manufacturer approved and installed at an authorized dealership by a certified tech MAY void a warranty claim, if that mod or part is blamed for the failure or the dealer is honest and reports the mod or part to the manufacturer or a field rep shows up to review the failure and spots the mod or part.
:agree:

Utopia backrest VOIDS seat warranty
Trikes may void all warranties. Some Honda dealers refuse to work on trikes
Trailer hitches may void rear drive failures

·
Registered
73 Posts
another point

I suppose I agree with all said above.
I have/had a max extended warranty on all six of our current family bikes, and many past bikes.
Why? To distinguish the bike from other resales of comparable age and comparable milage when resale time comes. At the time of purchase you can usually get a max extension for little more than 50% of card price. Although I have only used the warranty once in 15 years, I always believe I get more for my used bike because the buyer has some assurance.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
:agree:

Utopia backrest VOIDS seat warranty
Only if you cut the wires in a heated seat-which should never happen if one follows the instructions.
Trikes may void all warranties.
Nope, just any drive line failure or issue and then only if the dealer "rats you out" or the rep comes lookin'
Some Honda dealers refuse to work on trikes
Most don't have trike lifts
Trailer hitches may void rear drive failures
And tranny/motor issues

1 - 8 of 8 Posts