GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very new member :excited: Live in Green Cove Springs,Fl
just purchased 2006 Goldwing trike & have to decide if i want to purchase warranty before i drive it off their property this week :confused: 3 year plan $1,386.00
5 year "Tire" plan $399.00

should i buy warranty @ this price?? HELP:shrug:
traded my 2009 Can Am Spyder for Gold Wing (hope i don't regret choice)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Welcome :congrats:

Which unit did you buy and what is the actual age of your rig (bike and kit) do you know who built it. How 'bout a pic.

Is it a genuine Honda warranty, if not who is the carrier, what does it cover, who will do the work, is it honored nation wide, what is the deductible, does it cover transportation, what does it exclude because it's a trike, does it have millage restrictions, does it require a specific maintenance schedule..... :shrug:

Too many variables and bad extended warranty programs out there to be much help. IMO extended warranties and tire warranties only benefit the selling dealer, especially here in FL since we are forced to purchase them at full price. I would (and did) take that same money and put it away in case something goes wrong, Then it's still in your pocket instead of the dealers if you don't ever use it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Only you can answer that one.

We do not know what that warranty says or provides. Not enough info.

If the tire warranty provides tires, sound cool, if it is labor only it is a rip off.

Trikes are unique. Some dealers do provide warranty work , some will hide that in some way and help you.

Most will not. Once a Wing becomes a Trike, Honda simply says you own it, it is yours, we provide no warranty at all.

So if you buy that warranty expecting to have service other than where you purchased it, could be you will not get service.

All those things have to be considered.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Honda extended warranty MUST be purchased within 3 years of the original purchase date of the bike and as a 06 I would say you are well past that.

So that would make the warranty they are selling a dealer item with all kind of exclusions and copays. And most likely only good at that dealership.

As far as the tire warranty goes does it give you new tires when they wear out or is it a fix a flat kind of thing? ( more likely )

Either way I would take that $1800 and put it in the bank instead of the dealers pocket.

And welcome to the madness

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Lilly, I also agree with what has been said. Without seeing the "fine print" it is tough to really help with your decision. I agree with Harry, put that money away as a fund to use should you have something that needs a little work down the road.

Congrats on your new ride and as always, we will need to see some pictures here. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
1. Since the bike is an 06, the warranty is not a Honda warranty so, no one can advise you on the price unless we could read what is covered.
2. Converting to a trike will, in most cases unless the dealer does not disclose the conversion to Honda, causes drive train warranty claims to be denied. However, other warranty claims for issues that can not be "blamed" on the trike are still covered.
3. We also have no idea what the tire plan covers.
More info needed!
Just for your info, our sponsor sells the Honda extended warranty(which your trike is no longer eligible for, just giving you a comparison) for approx. $500 and it's for 4 years. Kinda makes $1386 seem pretty high for 3 years!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm a friend of Lilly's and I'll try to give you a little more info as she exlpained it to me. She has purchased an 06 wing with a Chapion conversionand approx. 40,000 miles. The tire warrenty just covers flats and towing service. The best I could get out of her as far as the other warrenty goes would cover the conversion but like others have stated without seeing the fine print I'm not sure. I told her if it was me, I would not purchase it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Once a Wing becomes a Trike, Honda simply says you own it, it is yours, we provide no warranty at all.
Kit, while I respect your experience and find most of your advise to be helpful I have seen you state this several times and sir you are simply wrong on this point.

Transmission and frame warranty claims (understandably) have been denied but most of the rest of the bike is still covered under the Honda warranty.

DD, an '06 leftover sold in '08 could still be under the original factory warranty. Pretty common for installers to buy up old stock for conversions.
She is in FL so cannot purchase a discounted factory extended warranty which would be right around the quoted price down here.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Kit, while I respect your experience and find most of your advise to be helpful I have seen you state this several times and sir you are simply wrong on this point.

Transmission and frame warranty claims (understandably) have been denied but most of the rest of the bike is still covered under the Honda warranty.
Spencer I kind of have to disagree with you. This is an issue that is totally dependent on the dealer. I had the famous coolant leak on my trike while it was still under warranty. The first dealer I called I said I had a trike and immediately got the "Honda has no warranty on trikes" routine. So when calling other dealers I would ask about the coolant leak and they would say "sure bring it in!",then I would say its been triked. Out of 4 dealers I found 1 that would fix it under warranty and thats probably because he sold my brand of trike. If you have a good dealer stick with him,if youre going on a long trip do your Tcloc and make sure your maintenance is up to date.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm going to assume this is a TRIKE-specific warranty sold by someone who not only sells trikes, but installs them. I also assumes it covers any problem with the conversion itself. Otherwise I'd personally pass. I think most of the really annoying problems people here have had are with the trike conversion, not the Wing. Trying to get a motorcycle warranty honored on a trike, as discussed above, can be difficult.

If so, it's like any "service plan". You're basically buying insurance against an unlikely event. The guy selling the insurance plans to make money on the deal, because less than half of the people who get it, maybe much less, will have repair costs exceeding the cost of the plan. Questions to ask.

What is covered? What is excluded?

How important is the money for the plan to me? How much of a catastrophe will it be to me to get a repair bill that exceeds it? Are those catastrophes covered?

How much do I trust the person selling the warranty to honor it?

Here are my personal biases and experiences, which color the above, although I think the questions are still good ones. I do most all of my own mechanical work. To me all warranties are insurance against big deals, not to cover little problems (like replacing tires). I'll cover those myself. I despise having to fight to get one honored. I've bought service plans/extended warranties maybe twice, when I was buying something that had been reported to rarely, but more than a few times, have some very serious problems, and the plan/warranty was backed by the manufacturer. I've never had one actually need to pay out anything. In over 40 years of buying new vehicles, I can count the number of times I had standard warranty work done (not including recalls) on one hand. None of those bills would have exceeded $1000, my personal figure for a "catastrophe".

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
whoops ...

Mick, I am sorry you had trouble and this is far too common.

Part of one of my businesses deals with off road truck equipment so I have way too much experience with the subject. All I can offer is if you are going to modify any vehicle read and understand your warranty, understand your rights as a consumer, and also understand that no dealer is obligated to work on your vehicle and can refuse your work for any reason they see fit. In our business dealers refuse work because they claim their lifts are not outfitted to handle the conversions. Some bike dealers use the same excuse saying that their shop and or lifts cannot handle a trike. This however doesn't change the factories obligation in regard to their warranty. If a dealer denies what you feel is a valid warranty claim not related to conversion, get the reason detailed in writing, then contact the manufacturer directly.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would put the money back, or not put the money back, and take my chances. Sounds like you are getting a warranty from the seller which might not be worth the paper it's written on. As far as a the "tire" warranty is concerned for what it appears you get I would forget that for sure. You can get towing on your insurance policy...CHEAP. I would rather spend a few bucks getting a good authorized trike builder to check it and PERFORM any routine maintenance. There may be some areas that have been sorely neglected for all you know and it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least get it looked over well and those things taken care of as a starting point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts