GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I have a new 2010 wing, with @ 4000 mile, and am seriously considering going to the darkside. Question is, doe this void my warranty with the Mother Ship?

Thanks

Lou

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If you have problems, put the MC tire back on before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
yeah, guess i could just buy a spare rear wheel and do that...
That would be the best way to handle it. You can get a spare rim fairly cheap.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Come on over, the ride is mighty fine!:thumbup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
wtty

The wing mechanic at our local dealership runs a CT on his wing and said it's not a problem. I guess it depends if they want to be an a$$ about it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Kinda depends on the mindset of the dealership. Some know it's not an issue, some are still stuck in the "dark" ages? I believe I just discovered a paradox. :coffee1:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Making any kind of non-manufacturer approved modification or adding any non-manufacturer approved "part" and not having either done at an authorized dealership by a tech MAY(DIDN'T SAY WOULD)void a warranty claim if the dealer you take it to or a factory rep or the manufacturer decides the non-approved mod or part caused the failure/problem in question.
A lot depends on what dealer you go to, what the problem is, if the factory rep has to review the bike or not.
Having said all that mumbo/jumbo, next will come a post about the MM law, which has absolutely nothing to do w/use of non-approved parts or modifications but, gets referred to every time a question like this comes up.
Best answer has already been posted. However, if you are 1000 miles from home when/if your differential fails, if will be somewhat difficult to change the rear wheel/tire back to a MC tire, when it's in your garage at home!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I've taken my bike in for warranty work with my BMT on it and I have had no trouble with warranty being denied.and that is using different dealers too.

The Last dealers wrench didn't care for a BMT but still did warranty work.Money is money in their pocket.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I've taken my bike in for warranty work with my BMT on it and I have had no trouble with warranty being denied.and that is using different dealers too.

The Last dealers wrench didn't care for a BMT but still did warranty work.Money is money in their pocket.
Rocky-what was worked on and covered by warranty?
We've had at least one thread on here where a dealer refused to work on a bike w/a CT(which is absolutely wrong) but, my concerns are some rear suspension defect or a drive train failure that a dealer or factory rep would say the CT caused(whether it did or not!)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky-what was worked on and covered by warranty?
We've had at least one thread on here where a dealer refused to work on a bike w/a CT(which is absolutely wrong) but, my concerns are some rear suspension defect or a drive train failure that a dealer or factory rep would say the CT caused(whether it did or not!)
What's the difference.When Honda will tell you Trike guys to pound sand because you triked the bike.We know dam well that triking a bike has nothing to do with the Engine/tranny/Wiring harness/heated/seat etc etc ect.

No dealer should be able to deny warranty based on tires on the bike,You can't possible believe such a thing when guys don't run the OEM D250 that was on the bike when it was first sold.

You should already know that no vehicle manufacture can tell you what tires to install on your vehicle,and legally can't deny a warranty claim based on what brand of tire you had installed on your vehicle.

I'd ask any offending dealer to point out where it says on the sidewall "Not for motorcycle use" or for "Automobile use only".

They (dealers/Honda rep's) can try and say anything-Let them prove it!
A call from an attorney will take care of that crap.
You trike guys should try it when your denied warranty work.:thumbup:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
What's the difference.When Honda will tell you Trike guys to pound sand because you triked the bike.We know dam well that triking a bike has nothing to do with the Engine/tranny/Wiring harness/heated/seat etc etc etc.

No dealer should be able to deny warranty based on tires on the bike,You can't possible believe such a thing when guys don't run the OEM D250 that was on the bike when it was first sold.

You should already know that no vehicle manufacture can tell you what tires to install on your vehicle,and legally can't deny a warranty claim based on what brand of tire you had installed on your vehicle.

I'd ask any offending dealer to point out where it says on the sidewall "Not for motorcycle use" or for "Automobile use only".

They (dealers/Honda rep's) can try and say anything-Let them prove it!
A call from an attorney will take care of that crap.
You trike guys should try it when your denied warranty work.:thumbup:
I was just trying to find out what kind of warranty work you had covered.
I already know all the "stuff" you replied with.
If you noted all my words in my message to you, you would have noted I don't agree w/all warranty coverage being denied for a trike conversion or for many of the other reasons/excuses given by dealers and factory reps and the manufacturers Custom Service. Seems to depend on which one of those people one talks to at any given time what the response will be. No consistency, which is not right either.
One thing for sure, whether you or anyone else wants to believe it or not, Original and extended warranties are in jeopardy of having drive train claims denied. If one would look and read the Hannigan web sight, it tells you, you are voiding you warranty by installing a trike conversion( which is not entirely true either). It is a shame Honda does not produce a factory trike. Can Ams and Harley Tri-Glides seem to be the only ones willing to do so at this time. Don't know if the Vision/Lehman is covered by factory warrant or not?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts