GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 2001 GL1800 back from the dealer, and this is what happened to me:

Only 7,000 miles on the bike and covered under the (3) year warranty.

1. ECM changed, N/C
2. Cooling system checked (I have my doubts) :roll: and coolant changed.
I was charged $17.35 for the antifreeze, 3.5 quarts.
I argued the point that this was covered under the recall, but to no avail. :evil:
3. Had the saddle bags adjusted also, but got charged $30.00 for this service too... Should have been covered under warranty.

I believe this dealer screwed me, because he had to do the warranty work and I did not purchase the bike from him. Anybody been charged for the Antifreeze on this recall? or was the dealer correct in sticking me?

·
Registered
258 Posts
My dealer didn't charge for coolant. I was 3 months shy of 3 years on my '01 with almost 60K on it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The ecm "update" was to be offered to any 1800 owner, regardless of miles and/or age, free of charge to you, by Honda. Your dealer slipped it to you without a kiss. I'd be complaining to Honda and finding another dealer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My dealer charged Honda for the coolent when he did the ECM change. I would complain to someone. You should get your money back.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Warranty

U WER SKEERUED :oops: :cry:

·
Chard Member
12,962 Posts
Honda pays for the coolant, not the customer!

The saddlebag adjustment might be yours to pay. I have been told many times in the past that Honda "will not" reimburse dealers for adjustments.

Talk to the management of the dealership. If they give you the same story, call Honda Customer Service and then find yourself a new dealer!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Why not identify these dealers, they deserve to go out of business conducting business like that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would almost bet that the dealer charged you and Honda for the coolant and the adjustment. That is an old con practice by less than reputable dealers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Big Daddy wrote
They took advantage of you. I am from same area as you. Mind if I ask who did your recall?
I got mine done at Cycles Unlimited in Decatur,they didn't charge me for anti freeze.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
No charge for ANYTHING on my ecm change, only the air filter that I asked them to change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Warranty Parts & Labor

01PearlBlueRon said:
Big Daddy wrote
They took advantage of you. I am from same area as you. Mind if I ask who did your recall?
I got mine done at Cycles Unlimited in Decatur,they didn't charge me for anti freeze.
I got this recall done in Cullman @ The Sports Center.....
First checked at Decatur (I live in Hartselle) and was told it would be (4) months before this could be done, basically get in line..... But with the entire story told from the first day I took the bike to Cullman...till it was finally repaired.... it was over (3) months anyway. BTW - mine is a 01 Pearl blue also..... Small world....

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Do every Winger in the US a favor, and don't stand for this. I believe that it was mentioned above, that you should speak with Dealer Management, and then move on to Honda USA.

With All of the faults with the Wing, I believe that the major fault, is the Honda Dealership Network, with little or no control from Honda USA.

Myself, having been involved with Franchises (Burger King), I can not believe Honda USA when they tell us that the Dealer is an independent, and that they can not tell that dealer what to do. Hog Wash! To become a Franchisee, one must sell ones life away and agree to many terms of contract service. I for one will not buy this excuse for one minute.

Honda USA , needs to "polish the apple" so to speak, and get all of their Franchised dealers to conform to agreements concerning customer care.

Now you guys have gone and done it again...LOL I have been off my high horse about the Honda Franchised Dealership relations since last summer, when my bike puked coolant and burned my legs. Now I have a rapid heart beat and an elevated pulse...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes it is a small world. Nice to have the best color as a neighbor. When it warms up we will have to get together and ride. I had to wait about 4 months for the ecm update but all went well.Next time you need warranty work go see Bubba or Ed at Cycles Unlimited.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
gr8wing said:
I would almost bet that the dealer charged you and Honda for the coolant and the adjustment. That is an old con practice by less than reputable dealers.
if you call Honda at 866-784-1870 I suspect the dealer will reimburse you and make sure that mistake doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Code:
Now I have a rapid heart beat and an elevated pulse...
Hey Bulldog isn't that the same thing? :D

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Sure hope your "stealer" gave you a big kiss with the screwin that he gave you. Coolant exchange should be part of the ECM recall. I would go directly to Honda with your complaints.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
It is odd how dealers work. I got the air cleaner from my dealer three months ago. Last month I took it in for the ECM update. In Saturday morning, out Saturday afternoon. Coolant was changed, heads were checked, air cleaner was installed, trunk lid warning switch was adjusted, oil and filter were changed, rest of the fluids were checked, and one headlight bulb replaced. Total bill was $23.88 after discount, and was for the oil filter, oil, and a gasket.

I guess thats why this is my 5th motorcycle from them. Lets name names. Honda World, Coos Bay. Should I bitch and say the oil should have been cut rate? I might add the bike had been washed, but not waxed. Likely I won't gripe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts