GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 08 in for 12000 mile service. The Honda shop called and said the steering head bearings should be replaced. I was surprised how soon they needed to be replaced. Anyone know if this is a warranty issue. The bike has an extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I don't know why it would need replacing unless it is damaged,and if so it should be under warranty. While they are there I would replace with All Balls roller bearings,a much better product.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would say.........if they called, (did they say if or not) I would have thought they would have said or what? Or hit you up for money.

But with 12K I would say yes, if notched or loose or bearing fallen out, but they are supposed to be checked first service.

They never are, it does take a bit of time. So they never do check them.

Dump in some oil, and fill up the blinker fluid and good to go.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have almost 13000 on my 2010, and not noticed any problems with the steering. Maybe, I just do not know any better. I would question them about the warranty. If covered ask them to replace with the all bearing. If not covered, I would be suspect and have them show me why they are saying the bearings are bad, unless you unconditionally trust them and excellent prior service with them.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have my 08 in for 12000 mile service. The Honda shop called and said the steering head bearings should be replaced. I was surprised how soon they needed to be replaced. Anyone know if this is a warranty issue. The bike has an extended warranty.
First is your bike still in warranty/ex-warranty?.

Second.How did this dealer do to the bike to determine that your bearings need to be replaced vs re-torqued?.

If in warranty then it's on Honda's dime seeing they set the torque when the bike was made,if they are notchy now and need to be replaced!.

If out of warranty.I'd still like to know why they feel a bike with 12K should need them?. Yes All Balls bearing are a better bearing set,but are they really needed at this point.???

To much has to be disassembled to properly "Inspect" these bearings.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Something was wrong from the get/go, IMHO, if they need replaced so soon!
1. Ask the dealer how they determined the bearings need replaced?
2. Tell them you want to see the defective pieces.
3. Tell them since you have warranty it's on Honda so do whatever they need to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warranty Update

For anyone's info. Talked to Honda's customer service line. To them it is a grey area with head bearings. The Dealer's service department would notify Honda of a reason for premature wear. Customer service contacted my dealer on my behalf to determine if it is a warranty issue. Unfortunately, I had the same dealer lower my bike a 2000 miles ago and according to Honda changed the egonomics of the bike, therefore warranty would not cover it. 2000 miles ruined the head bearings, hummm. Honda was prompt contacting the dealer though.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
For anyone's info. Talked to Honda's customer service line. To them it is a grey area with head bearings. The Dealer's service department would notify Honda of a reason for premature wear. Customer service contacted my dealer on my behalf to determine if it is a warranty issue. Unfortunately, I had the same dealer lower my bike a 2000 miles ago and according to Honda changed the egonomics of the bike, therefore warranty would not cover it. 2000 miles ruined the head bearings, hummm. Honda was prompt contacting the dealer though.
Sorry, but I agree with Honda on this one.....You did modify the Wing by
having it lowered.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Now will come the posts telling you how many have had the same thing repaired under warranty:roll:
Sorry you got caught. The only come back you have is if the dealer was a Honda dealer that lowered the bike and you were not warned this would void a portion of you warranty then by the very fact a Honda dealer did the work, they should pay for the replacement since Honda denied the claim. By the way-you should call Honda customer service to verify the denial yourself.
Posted many times but, here it is once more.
Any modification made to or accessory added to that is not manufacturer approved and not accomplished within an authorized manufacturer's dealership w/the work performed by a trained tech MAY void a warranty claim that MAY be caused by the non-approve mod or accessory/part.
Paraphrased, but that's the jest of it!
Having said that-there are dealers that will do the repair, get it covered by warranty by not being forthcoming about what has been done to the provider of the warranty.
Having said all that, exactly what was done to lower you bike? There are a lot of trikes out there with rake kits which IMHO opinion would put more stress on head bearings and have not heard of or seen a post here of the ruining of these bearings in 12K miles. Still something not right here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts