GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gentlemen came by to look at my '07 Wing tonight and asked me a good question. Is there any documentation that states the transferability of the Honda Extended Warranty to a new owner?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I was told by Honda of Russellville Arkansas that the warranty is registered with the bikes vin not the owner. No transfer or signing of paperwork was needed when I purchased my 08. I sure hope that's right....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was told by Honda of Russellville Arkansas that the warranty is registered with the bikes vin not the owner. No transfer or signing of paperwork was needed when I purchased my 08. I sure hope that's right....
My dealer told me the same thing for the standard warranty......not sure about the extended.............

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
A gentlemen came by to look at my '07 Wing tonight and asked me a good question. Is there any documentation that states the transferability of the Honda Extended Warranty to a new owner?
The 3 year warranty and the 4yr ex warranty is for the bike NOT the owner.So it doesn't matter who owns the bike.

All a owner has to do is call their local dealer and give them the bikes VIN and the dealer will tell them if the bike has a warranty and the exact date it expires on the spot!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I believe the prospective owner can go to ANY dealer with the VIN and verify the warranty.

Good luck on the sale.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Warranty

I was told by my local Honda dealer that I needed to have the registration to have the extended warranty put in my name. The original owner paid for the additional years of coverage and he could call and cancel the coverage and be reimbursed for the remainder of the unused years. Ask 10 dealers probably get 10 different answers.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by my local Honda dealer that I needed to have the registration to have the extended warranty put in my name. The original owner paid for the additional years of coverage and he could call and cancel the coverage and be reimbursed for the remainder of the unused years. Ask 10 dealers probably get 10 different answers.
I can't see Honda giving a refund for unused portion of an extended warranty. That flies in the face of logic.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
This is the correct answer. I have been down this road.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
This is the correct answer. I have been down this road.
If the bike was sold with the mention of the extended warranty,and the seller did in fact cancel it after the sale.The buyer could get that amount back from the seller for deceptive selling.
Yes it would involve a court case,but that is a low down trick to pull on a guy who just bought your bike in my book!

·
Registered
522 Posts
If the bike was sold with the mention of the extended warranty,and the seller did in fact cancel it after the sale.The buyer could get that amount back from the seller for deceptive selling.
Yes it would involve a court case,but that is a low down trick to pull on a guy who just bought your bike in my book!
Mentioning it is not going do stand up in court. Better have it in writing. Taking it to court is going to cost more than it is worth.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can't see Honda giving a refund for unused portion of an extended warranty. That flies in the face of logic.
You may not see the logic but Honda certainly must because they DO in fact issue refunds for the unused portion of the extended warranty.

In the last 3 years I have personally cashed in 2 separate GL1800 extended warranty policies. Its actually a very simple process, just swing by any dealer with your title or registration and they will cancel the extended warranty over the Honda computer system. Within a couple of weeks you'll have a refund check in your hand. Honda charges a $25 processing fee and then fully refunds the unused portion of the extended warranty based on the actual purchase price of the warranty not the MSRP.

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
The 3 year warranty and the 4yr ex warranty is for the bike NOT the owner.So it doesn't matter who owns the bike.

All a owner has to do is call their local dealer and give them the bikes VIN and the dealer will tell them if the bike has a warranty and the exact date it expires on the spot!

This is correct:yes1:

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
You may not see the logic but Honda certainly must because they DO in fact issue refunds for the unused portion of the extended warranty.

In the last 3 years I have personally cashed in 2 separate GL1800 extended warranty policies. Its actually a very simple process, just swing by any dealer with your title or registration and they will cancel the extended warranty over the Honda computer system. Within a couple of weeks you'll have a refund check in your hand. Honda charges a $25 processing fee and then fully refunds the unused portion of the extended warranty based on the actual purchase price of the warranty not the MSRP.
Yes but a used bike with an extended warranty usually commands a higher resale

·
Registered
584 Posts

nothing needs to be signed, it is registered to the VIN as stated above.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mentioning it is not going do stand up in court. Better have it in writing. Taking it to court is going to cost more than it is worth.
It would have never occurred to me that you could cancel an extended warranty once it had gone into effect. I could perhaps see being able to cancel before the MFG standard warranty expired, but not after. Who'd uh thunk it?

In any case, I am selling the bike with the warranty, so as long as I know the process of transferring the warranty that's all I need. Sounds like I thought, just go to any dealer so they can change the name of the owner in the computer system.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
It would have never occurred to me that you could cancel an extended warranty once it had gone into effect. I could perhaps see being able to cancel before the MFG standard warranty expired, but not after. Who'd uh thunk it?

In any case, I am selling the bike with the warranty, so as long as I know the process of transferring the warranty that's all I need. Sounds like I thought, just go to any dealer so they can change the name of the owner in the computer system.

Cruise.A name change was all that was done after I bought my bike w/ex-warranty and had it's first warranty repair done.
The only thing the dealer needed was a look at the bikes current registration to verify the current owner (me),and then it was entered into the system.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes but a used bike with an extended warranty usually commands a higher resale
I agree, if the bike is involved in a private sale the Extended Warranty does add to the resale value. However, since Honda refunds 100% (less $25) of the remaining warranty's actual value my experience has been that the Extended Warranty generally does not add THAT much value for resale unless the bike being sold is no longer eligible for an Extended Warranty purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts