GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that HAL has the Honda Protection Plan for around $400 after the discount.

I called my dealer to check their prices. They tried to sell me on the Wester Warranty Plan for $420 for 4 years. They said that the Western Warranty Plan is a little better than the Honda Protection Plan.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the warranty companies?

Are there any gotchas?

Please respond ASAP as HAL's sale ends tomorrow.

Thanks Barry.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
klbj1961.

I can.t for a minute think that an after market warranty would be better than a manufacturers warranty.

Bet ya a dollar to a donut that your dealer wants you in this warranty because his return is better.

What happens when you travel and need a tire or a repair? Do you pay up front and try to get reimbursed? Do you have to call an 800# to get an approval (most likely a disapproval)?

I would really think hard about this proposal, and then do what you think is right. For my money, I am sticking with the manufacturers warranty.

Good Luck

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
In the car business the only reason that a dealer sells a non manufacturer warranty is because they pay a larger commision. Stay with Honda, they will have fewer loop holes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, beware of the aftermarket warranties.

Shortly after buying my 1800...I went with Warranty Gold out of Austin, Texas. They presented a rosey picture..and seemed to beat the Honda Warranty hands down as far as coverage.

In June of this year, their primary guarantor...out of the Cayman Islands decided to declare Bankruptcy.

Warranty Gold at first...said they were fighting to keep our warranties in effect. Then when they could not afford to pay the claims...they themselves filed for Chapter 11 and had the courts...dismiss all obligations for previous extended warranties.

At the same time...they reorganized and are again selling extended warranties. Their previous customers...have been left high and dry...losing thousands of dollars.

IMO I would stay away from Warranty Gold...and any aftermarket warranty service. Stick with Honda...I learned the hard way. Just bought mine over the past weekend. Expensive lesson. Ended up paying nearly $1K.

CD

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bought the Western Contract with the new Wing. Just used the same with a top end overhaul on my Yamaha Roadie. It costs more than the Honda though. I'm told by several sources it's the best.
MM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before you buy the Western contract you might want to check the term of coverage and if the coverage starts at the 'date of purchase' or after the OEM warranty coverage ends.

With the Honda extended warranty the coverage starts when the OEM coverage stops. So you have a full 7 years of coverage if you purchase the 4 year term.

On many aftermarket warranties.... the coverage actually runs concurrent with the OEM coverage so you end up with only ONE year additional coverage.

I've always contended that this is fraud but never seen anything done about correcting the issue

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
Ray I made that foolish mistake on a warranty for a watch once, after getting home and reading the fine print I took it back to the store for a full $3 refund, sure it wasn't a lot of money but still a rip off.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I bought the western waranty for one reason. The Honda waranty only allows you to use a honda dealer for repairs. The best mechs are nto allways at your Honda dealer. In southern CA the best for hundreds of miles is JBJ Cycles in SAnta Ana. There simply are no better mechs when it comes to GOld Wings. They can not accept the Honda waranty but do accept the Western which they have had excellent results with claims.

I simply do not want to be limited to the local Honda dealer who may or may nto have a good Wing mech on board.

Oh and it does in fact give you a full 7 year waranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts