GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why some dealers will fix something under warranty and others won't ? Seems to me that they would all want the job, but is it something that Honda agrees to some and not to others? Just wondering.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Some, actually most, dealers are idiots. I hate going to the dealer for anything.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Part of the problem is warranty work has a set # of payable hours to the dealer. Some think it's just not worth their time to do it... but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
It seems that Honda is either unable, or unwilling to exercise any control over their dealer network. Over the years, I have done warranty work for Ford, GM, and many consumer electronics manufacturers. With every one of them, one call from the customer and the mfr is breathing down your neck. But Honda doesn't work that way. I don't know if this is common in the motorcycle industry or not.

It is really surprising how they can survive with such an inept business model. It is what it is. When you buy a Honda, you have to know this going in and either accept it, or look at something else.

It also depends on what the customer is trying to get covered under warranty. Some customers have unrealistic expectations of what should be covered. In some cases, just because you can find one dealer to cover it doesn't mean it should have been.

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
It is really surprising how they can survive with such an inept business model. It is what it is.
:agree: ... have heard others are worst. When I had a Yami Waverunner, I found the warrentee service excellent though. Harley sets the standard for m/c warrentee service.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Being with gm for a long long time i can tell you i can get alot of things covered that maybe should not be,its mosty up to the effort the dealer is willing to put forth for the customer,no matter what they tell you.SOOO find a dealer that is willing to work with you.i can also tell you LIKE IT OR NOT,i will go to bat much more for a customer who spends money with me,not just comes in for free warranty work,and then bitches the whole time,SORRY,but thats the way it is,I REWARD LOYALTY IN BUSINESS.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
1. So, who has actually had a dealer refuse to even do warranty work?
2. Who has had and knows what one dealer refused to honor warranty on and took it to another whom did honor warranty?
I had 3 dealers tell me they had no one who knew how to trouble shoot an inop of the comfort system. The 4th dealer told m they could fix it but the passenger backrest did not have heat in it!!!!!!!
I have never had a dealer actually tell me he doesn't do warranty work and I don't believe one can refuse.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
1. So, who has actually had a dealer refuse to even do warranty work?
2. Who has had and knows what one dealer refused to honor warranty on and took it to another whom did honor warranty?
I had 3 dealers tell me they had no one who knew how to trouble shoot an inop of the comfort system. The 4th dealer told m they could fix it but the passenger backrest did not have heat in it!!!!!!!
I have never had a dealer actually tell me he doesn't do warranty work and I don't believe one can refuse.
THAT is correct,we meaning me as a gm dealer employee cannot refuse warranty service,but trust me,a dealer who does not want you around can make your life soo miserable that you wont want to deal with them.i have a honda dealer i use for things i dont want to do myself,and i kiss there butt,always tip the tech at least $ 20.00 and treat the advisor with respect,and guess what,THAT TECH GOES OUT OF HIS WAY TO TALK TO ME AND TREATS ME AND MY BIKE GREAT.ole yeller mbg pa

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recall taking my previous bike (2005) in for routine maintenance (tire replacement) and the dealer calling me saying they found a leak they want to fix under warranty. I never seen the leak or had any problems, but said "okay, fix it". I always wondered if they were doing unnecessary work and just getting me to sign saying their was a problem so they could charge Honda for it. I doubt I'll approve future work again until they show me the problem.

J.D.

·
Registered
68 Posts
LIKE IT OR NOT,i will go to bat much more for a customer who spends money with me,not just comes in for free warranty work,and then bitches the whole time,SORRY,but thats the way it is,I REWARD LOYALTY IN BUSINESS.OLE YELLER MBG PA
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does anyone know why some dealers will fix something under warranty and others won't ? Seems to me that they would all want the job, but is it something that Honda agrees to some and not to others? Just wondering.
Good luck with warrenty work on your installed GPS. Honda dealer in Kingman, AZ told me to call Garman. Bike was only six months old.

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
No one else offers a unlimited mileage for 3 years
stop your bitching:doorag:

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
LIKE IT OR NOT,i will go to bat much more for a customer who spends money with me,not just comes in for free warranty work,and then bitches the whole time,SORRY,but thats the way it is,I REWARD LOYALTY IN BUSINESS.OLE YELLER MBG PA
Honda's money is just as green as the customers. It can be hard to make money at warranty work, but good dealers do, because the work is generally repetitive.

Every business has 3 types of customers.

1. Former customers, for any one of a number of reasons.
2. Current customers
3. Potential customers.

By treating those potential customers like 5hit, a business is guaranteed to be half the size that it could be. Warranty work not only brings in warranty dollars, but it brings in traffic. Companies spend a great deal of money on advertising to bring traffic into their store. The warranty work is a free referral that didn't cost you anything.

I can't understand why any company would let any potential future paying customer out the door without making their company look their best and give them a compelling reason to come back. This is why so many little dealerships stay little. They don't understand the extra effort it takes to make their business grow.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It seems that Honda is either unable, or unwilling to exercise any control over their dealer network.
Oh you bring back bad memories and remind me why I avoided Honda for 25 years!

Honda regional and Honda USA ignored a dealer demanding payment of $181 for warranty work (rusty gas tank), they didn't care in the least! Fortunately the state Attorney General and the credit card company backed me up. Even better was that the dealer was out of business a year or two later.

Fortunately, I now have a very good Honda dealer :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts