GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a ride down in Ca. earlier this week we rode miles and miles of some of the best twisties around. Hit them hard and clean.
Then on a stretch of (what should have been) very un eventful roads we went through what turned out to be record breaking rainfall for the area.
So on one very tame right hand short sweeper at about 45 mph 6 of us hit a freshly resurfaced area. I was riding 2nd from the rear in a 6 bike pac (I was the only trike) and the bike in front of me slipped left then fishtailed right and laid down. Being in a staggered form it put me about 30ft behind him I guess. I slowed and just slowing put me in a slide headed right towards the bike and rider. I got straight pretty fast,,, the bike in front of me and the rider seperated and I made it between the two of them :bow:.
It turned out 2 bikes went down on that corner in our group.
While standing there with the law and tow trucks there was a tractor trailer that slid through the corner as well as a P/U that also slid though the corner.... unreal.
One rider went clear off the road.. through a mailbox and into the bushes. That bike was totaled,, the bike that went down in front of me stayed on the road,, the rider was lucky enough to side on his back and didn't tumble. Plus due to the heavy rain we was all geared up,, another lucky thing.
Anyway,,, after getting those 2 bikes and trailer in a U-Haul we all finished the trip in one piece. The two riders are sore but alive!!
I think for as crossed up I had the trike I would have also gone down on a two wheeler,,, I'll never know but I was ahppy to be on a trike during that.
However,, on a two wheeler I have experienced a crash and understand the riding it to the ground but as I headed for the bike sliding on the road I remember thinking,,,, hit the bike not the rider,, and HOW WILL THIS TRIKE REACT IN A CRASH??!!?? Made me think.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I'm glad you are OK. From the description, it sounds like y'all may have hydroplaned on a film of water. I can tell you from experience with three of them that trikes are highly susceptible. Too much tire [tread surface] for the vehicle weight and wheelbase.

On a ride down in Ca. earlier this week we rode miles and miles of some of the best twisties around. Hit them hard and clean.
Then on a stretch of (what should have been) very un eventful roads we went through what turned out to be record breaking rainfall for the area.
So on one very tame right hand short sweeper at about 45 mph 6 of us hit a freshly resurfaced area. I was riding 2nd from the rear in a 6 bike pac (I was the only trike) and the bike in front of me slipped left then fishtailed right and laid down. Being in a staggered form it put me about 30ft behind him I guess. I slowed and just slowing put me in a slide headed right towards the bike and rider. I got straight pretty fast,,, the bike in front of me and the rider seperated and I made it between the two of them :bow:.
It turned out 2 bikes went down on that corner in our group.
While standing there with the law and tow trucks there was a tractor trailer that slid through the corner as well as a P/U that also slid though the corner.... unreal.
One rider went clear off the road.. through a mailbox and into the bushes. That bike was totaled,, the bike that went down in front of me stayed on the road,, the rider was lucky enough to side on his back and didn't tumble. Plus due to the heavy rain we was all geared up,, another lucky thing.
Anyway,,, after getting those 2 bikes and trailer in a U-Haul we all finished the trip in one piece. The two riders are sore but alive!!
I think for as crossed up I had the trike I would have also gone down on a two wheeler,,, I'll never know but I was ahppy to be on a trike during that.
However,, on a two wheeler I have experienced a crash and understand the riding it to the ground but as I headed for the bike sliding on the road I remember thinking,,,, hit the bike not the rider,, and HOW WILL THIS TRIKE REACT IN A CRASH??!!?? Made me think.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the oil raising to the top on the fresh surface. The cop said it had been resurfaced within the last week and this was the first rain.
Just walking on it you could feel the slickness.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I had a simular experience on a rain slick curve in the Ozarks last year. I also was glad to be on a trike! The totalled bike still had dealer tags on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts