GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was pulling into my driveway at 445 this afternoon a truck clipped the rear of my bike, took out the right saddlebag, left the lid alone, the end of the right exhaust pipe which ripped the pipe off the bike, the right rear of the trunk and trunk light and left that lid alone. Pushed me into a ditch in the front of my yard, bike remained upright with me still on it and for those Darksiders, the rear CT was not damaged. The log truck was apparently traveling about the speed of light, unloaded, locked up his brakes, the trailer jack knifed, slid into my lane and clipped me as I entered the driveway off road; the truck meanwhile went back into his lane and then into the ditch on the other side of the road and kissed the trailer. No injuries, I got a ticket for failing to yield and don't know if the other driver got one or not. Meanwhile up rides the bride on her Roadliner wondering what all the commotion was at her house. The most important thing, my good old eastern North Carolina BBQ that was in the saddlebag was unharmed and consumed for supper. Just don't ever know do you? Off to the shop first thing in the morning.

Buck

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
"Failure to yield". Failure to yield to who? Did you make a illegal left turn?

Glad you're okay. Snit happens quick don't it? :( Glad the BBQ was saved. :)

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
WOW! What did you turn in front of the rig or did he rear end you? Glad your ok.
Hazle

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Chit happens !! Sorry to hear about it but very glad you were not injured !! Get the insurance bucks, buy tupper ware off ebay and take a trip with the left overs !! :lol:

Wonder how many Naysayers will get on and say it was caused by your rear tire ??? :cry:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Red said:

Yes how can you fail to yield when your turning into your driveway ?

·
Registered
780 Posts
As a law enforcement officer, I would like to know how you got a ticket for failure to yield, maybe I missed something in the story. Did you turn in front of him? The best thing though is that you didn't get hurt. Hope all turns out ok for ya.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Mike L said:
Red said:

Yes how can you fail to yield when your turning into your driveway ?
That's got me scratching my head, also. :?:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
nwkshusker said:
As a law enforcement officer, I would like to know how you got a ticket for failure to yield, maybe I missed something in the story. Did you turn in front of him? The best thing though is that you didn't get hurt. Hope all turns out ok for ya.

I'm wondering the same thing. :?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Vetteman said:
Off to the shop first thing in the morning.

Buck
Sorry to hear this story, and am glad you're not banged up.......
There's always a "Silver Lining" to every cloud........This is probably a sign.....You've now got the opportunity and Insurance $ to get it "painted" a "Real Color"................. :p :lol: :biker:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
10-50

I would suggest that it is time to "Lawyer Up".

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Glad you and your tires are OK.

RIDE SAFE :D

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
QSL

You would've made the turn quicker on a m/c tire and avoided the entire thing... :wink:
Sounds like he misjudged the speed of the approaching truck and made a left turn in front of it. He got cited for failure to yield; maybe the trucker got cited for excessive speed --- if not, he should chase that down as a mitigating factor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10-50

Thanks for the comments==too bad I can't draw a pic to post but anyway. I was headed south, drove past my newspaper box to see if the evening paper had arrived. Drove about 20 yards further to an intersection and executed a left turn onto the left hand intersecting road then did a U turn in that road and stopped at the s/sign. My driveway is about 20 yards to the right (I was pointed west) diagonally across from that s/sign. I stayed in 1st gear and my rear tire was on the gravel in my driveway when I was struck. The truck that was driving north on the main road, locked up his brakes, lost control and veered into the oncoming lane and then struck me. Why did I get a ticket? As a former officer who has investigated his share of accidents, the good old "failure to yield" is a good coverall charge. I would have also done a quick skid/speed ratio computation and would have written the truck driver for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident or excessive speed. The dude was flying. Again right now I don't know if he was charged or not, probably not. This is my 1st chargeable accident in 49 years and my second citation since 1972 and that one was for 35 in a 25. Bad thing, I have a high collision deductible as I have never needed it before, I'm still ahead w/all the money saved in premiums over these many years w/ the high deductible.

Buck

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The main thing is your not hurt. The bike can be fixed. Just think if that truck was over a couple of feet farther, you would have been toast.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I tried to draw it out and my guess is the truck driver complained that you pulled out in front of him at the stop sign causing him to lock up his brakes. What is the speed limit on the main road where he was traveling north-bound? Is it also a gravel road? Curves or blind spots?

Edited after reading Bill's reply and rereading the original...

Does your driveway go north off the east-west road or east off the north-south road?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I think I get it (after drawing it 4 times).
After your u-turn and stop, you made a right onto the main road (northbound) and another right into your driveway (eastbound).
Correct?
So you had pulled out in front of the northbound truck (that was speeding); you were going slow because your driveway was only 20 yards away and you were turning onto gravel.
LEO gave you a ticket because he figures you should've waited for the truck to pass...
You saw the truck coming, right? But he had the hammer down...

Laws of gross tonnage; truck wins every time.
Glad you're o.k.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Do what? :? While I am still having a hard time figuring the sequence of events, if the truck driver had maintained his speed, would he have missed you? If so, his overreaction to you caused his loss of control and should have no bearing on you receiving a ticket, especially if you were in your freaKING DRIVEWAY! :x

Sorry got a little carried away.

Just saw bills eval. Even if he did pull out and slow down, it isn't a failure to yield but it isn't a good idea, here in Fl. they call that something else but the citation escapes me.

Leonard, Motodawg? any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
scarredpelt said:
Do what? :? While I am still having a hard time figuring the sequence of events, if the truck driver had maintained his speed, would he have missed you? If so, his overreaction to you caused his loss of control and should have no bearing on you receiving a ticket, especially if you were in your freaKING DRIVEWAY! :x

Sorry got a little carried away.
If there was oncoming southbound traffic, the trucker may have had nowhere to move over to. If there was no southbound oncoming traffic, the trucker is a total knob and Buck shouldn't have gotten a ticket.
Trucker may have been highway hypnotized and all of a sudden YIKES A BIKE!!! Hit the brakes, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts