GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since I painted my helmets? The guy who teaches the ERC told me that since I had the helmets painted the warrenty was void....is that true?
I had all my helemts painted to match my bike...will post pics next week.
Had my 3/4, full face and flip up helmets painted....

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Registered
264 Posts
It very well could be true. I was told by a manufacturers rep that if we painted the helmets for the high school baseball team, the warrenty was void. I would assume that a MC helmet manufacturer would do the same. Something about the potential reaction from the paint and the helmet material possibly causing the material to become brittle.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Almost all helmet manufacturers recommend against painting helmets, there are several reasons for this, the solvents in the paint can degrade the helmet shell, and/or will degrade the impact absorbing liner. Most paints will also damage the styrofoam impact absorbing liner, the only safe paints for that are usually water base, an easy test is to use your paint on a styrofoam coffee cup, it is essentially the same material, if the paint affects the cup, it will degrade the impact liner.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yup ! What andy and the wingman said is for sure ! I Painted my
Hardhat that I use at work and the saftey woman was all upset !
No sense of humor at all ! LOL Spoil sport anyway. :duck:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
And, if you think that is weird, I subscribe to the Langalist, a weekly puter newsletter. Fred Langa discovered that if you record your own CD's and put labels on them, the glue on the label will eventually 'dissolve' your data/music/whatever on the cd. His disappeared after less than a year. So, you can imagine what some of these new paints could do to your helmet.

BTW, they told us at work that they didn't want our hardhats painted as it could hide cracks.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bruce,

I am not sure but i think I read in the literature that came with my Arais, that if you modify your helmet in any way, the factory liability is null and void.

I am sure that if you ever had a problem, Arai would call the paint job a modification.

In all reality, how many people have ever had a claim on a helmet that you have owned for 6 months or more?

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
its a loop hole that pretty much anything you alter, voids the warranty.

but really whats the difference on a helmet, what would ever happen that you would need a warranty for.

loren

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
The teacher at the ERC is partly correct. All my helmets came with a warning that recommends against painting the helmet, because the solvents can weaken the shell and the fumes can damage the styrofoam liner. But, the only way a manufacturer can void a warranty is if they can prove that what you did caused the failure. But, she is wrong is saying that your warranty is now automatically void.

Larry

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Have you ever seen a NASCAR or Indy car driver with a white helmet?
There are paints available that do not hurt the shell or the lining, most water based paints are safe as an example, the helmet manufacturers have the warning because a lot of people don't think about that and use the wrong paint. There are also people who professionally paint helmets, and have cleared the materials and techniques used with NASCAR and the helmet manufacturers to make sure it is done in a safe manner.

Product liability is involved with this, a person has an accident, suffers a head injury, and sues the helmet manufacturer, if they examine the helmet and find damage caused by painting, they are off the hook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts