GL1800Riders Forums banner

Washing Bike with Garden Hose

5K views 81 replies 53 participants last post by  Captron 
#1 ·
Opinions or experiences on washing the GL1800 with low pressure garden hose sprayers? I'm thinking to try this for the outer painted parts (not the driver's zone or interior areas). I'd use a light spray just to wet and float away dirt; no high pressure blasting except maybe down in the lower wheel areas and inside fenders. So if I go about this with some restraint is it ok? Do you do it? Heard of serious problems from this?

#2 ·
I have had no problems at all with this method. I am on my 3rd Goldwing and have washed them all with a water hose a couple of times a year with no ill affects. I typically use Honda spray polish on everything between washings. I have washed switches, display and all. I usually take it for a ride after a towel dry of the seat to help blow out any pooling water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yes, we do it several times a year at low pressure. Just be careful where you spray. Generally the bike gets more wet when we get stuck riding in a Florida rainstorm. We have a battery powered leaf blower than make things easy when time to dry.

#16 ·
Just the opposite, in fact. I've been riding almost every day for weeks now and am picking up a lot of grime, dust, etc. We all know that clean machines are the fastest...

#11 ·
--

I've washed my previous GW and current Yamahas with my pressure washer spraying into closed areas around engine and hubs for years and never had any problems. I use it on my
ATVs, truck, Jeep, and auto engines too, and never any problems.

I don't concentrate on switches and dash guages, though. I mean, these vehicles can sit out in the rain without any problems, although without the pressure, but seals like around hubs seem to be fairly waterproof.

Just my experience.

--

#12 ·
Last May we rode three days straight in rain. One days was on shot-and-chipped pavement. I washed the 'wing in a car wash. It never bobbled through any of this. It is not for submersion, and you shouldn't be foolish with the spray, but it is very well protected. ('06 with 122k miles)

#13 ·
#14 ·
My motorcycle is made for riding outdoors in horrendous rain storms; therefore, no one should have any fear rinsing their Wing off with a garden-hose. For the best instructions on how to care for your Wing, consult the Owner's Manual.
  1. Rinse your motorcycle thoroughly with cool water to remove loose dirt.
  2. Fill a bucket with cool water. Mix in a mild, neutral detergent, such as dish
    washing liquid or a product made especially for washing motorcycles or
    automobiles.
  3. Wash your motorcycle with a sponge or a soft towel. As you wash, check for
    heavy grime. If necessary, use a mild cleaner/degreaser to remove the grime.
    If the inside of the headlight lens appears clouded immediately after washing, it should clear after a few minutes of riding.
  4. After washing, rinse your motorcycle thoroughly with plenty of clean water to remove any residue. Detergent residue can corrode alloy parts.
  5. Dry your motorcycle with a chamois or a soft towel. Leaving water on the surface to air dry can cause dulling and water spots. As you dry, inspect for chips and scratches.
  6. Start the engine and let it idle for several minutes. The engine heat will help dry moist areas.
  7. As a precaution, ride your motorcycle at a slow speed and apply the brakes several times. This will help dry the brakes and restore normal braking performance.

#17 ·
It's all I've ever used. A little bit of Dawn dish soap, a squirt of Turtle Wax car wash/wax and go to it. Car, truck (rarely), bike after most every outing (mostly for all the MN bugs). Never hurt anything yet.

#18 ·
I've washed my 2006 with a hose and a bucket of Meguires soap. (Never use dish soap.) It is gold and hides a lot of the dirt and spots. Now that I have the blue/black one... the black shows everything. I have a well with hard water so I'm going to buy one of those car wash filter things to remove the hardness and reduce spotting. I couldn't see them on my gold bike but now I know the spots are there! Can't allow that to go on! :D

#20 ·
I've made it a point to NOT use Garden Hose Water to wash my bikes. The water that comes out of the Garden Hose Faucet isn't anywhere near as good as the water that comes out of the Kitchen Sink Faucet. Look at it this way; You certainly wouldn't use water that was meant for the Toilet on your bikes, so why in the world would you even think about using water that is meant for Plants. Geez, I can't believe the logic of some people!

#25 ·
So you have reclaimed water plumbed into your home? Is it just a non drinking water?

We have reclaimed water but it’s on its own system and line. Not allowed to be plumbed into the house. I wouldn’t wash my vehicles with it either. It’s too hard

Doubt most people have it available to them.

#21 ·
I would cover the handle bars controls, cb, turn signals with a plastic bag and then when y'all done washing blow it off with a electric leaf blower I would stay away from there Navi screen direct spray a light spray I have done.

#22 ·
No problem. The seat stitching should be dried as soon as practical. I am not much of a washer, but I blow the loose dirt and grime away with the leaf blower, then mild wet spray to rinse, then I use an apply to damp surfaces clean and polsh product, lastly wipe it down with micro fiber. That is how I did it before putting it away last fall. Didn't seem to really help much 'cause it just got dirty again already.

prs

#31 ·
Yes to the garden hose. Drying is a must as our hard water leaves spots

I purchased a Harbor Freight car wash nozzle this weekend. Has a soap attachment. Worked well.

Sponge, bucket, maquires car wash, clay bar, orbital buffing with griots polish, nufinish wax.

Looks pretty good for a 14 year old motorcycle.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I always use a leaf blower to dry off all the remaining water left on my bike after washing.....[this does not allow water spots to remain on chrome after it dries] and I'm a washer and wax freak (I wax it every time it rains in my garage) and wash it after every ride..............If it's not clean & spotless, my bike will not be ridden till it is............

Ronnie

Reactions: Retired60mech
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.