GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been so long since it's rained in San Diego, my bike hasn't really gotten dirty, though I've been riding a lot. Because of the color of the bike, it doesn't show a build up of dust unless it gets wet, but I decided it's been long enough since I cleaned it, that I just got done going over the entire bike with Pledge. My question however, is this: when washing the bike with a hose and bucket, where do I need to be careful when it comes to getting water inside?
Are there sensitive places to avoid?
I'm not contemplating using a pressure washer or anything, just a typical garden hose.
Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am cautious around electronics, handlebar controls and the exhaust. You can plug the exhaust and not worry about it but I am just careful and always run the engine while drying with a leaf blower.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
When I wash mine....i fillup a bucket withjust a tad of soap...usually Maguires car washing soap. then I just use a soft mitt....looks like an old shag rug, and dip it in and wash off the bike that way. I do spray very carefull the windshield, and then the lower front area, and sometimes the rear trunk, and sadlebags, but not very much. Just a quick damp before I hit it with the mit. I never get water near the dash at all or the seat area. Ijust wipe it with the drying cloth after all is washed. I don't use much hose water on it at all. May not hurt anything really, but I don't see that it's necessary. They are designed to work in the rain of course, so I don't suppose getting it wet anywhere would be a big deal.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Water wont hurt anything that I know of, believe me with all the rain I ride in at 75 mph I would have found it by now. Sheila

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sheila he meant washing the bike... I just teasing!!! How are you doing?

Jamie

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I guess a little common sense would be all you'd need to be safe. They are designed to be ridden in the rain, so I'll just be careful, and not overdo the water thing.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I'm sure everyone know this already, but do not use dishwashing soap. It'll remove all the wax and eventually will cloud the clearcoat, even if you wax it after every wash. Soap specific for automotive applications is what to use.

W

·
0 Posts
I pretty much do the same with a mild car wash soap and not much water.
I never get water close to area's were water can be trapped like the seat area, dash etc.

And yup, you guess it........I avoid riding in the rain.
Don't enjoy it, and always pick my daily riding trips without rain in the forcast. So far I been lucky with only getting a couple drops close to home.

Now once I semi-retire by the first of the year and start taking 2-3-4 day trips or longer, I will expect to ride in rain at some point.\\

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
jeepers...these machines are built to be outdoors and ridden and or sit in the rain. Why is everyone so concerned about a namby-pamby spray from a garden hose??

I could understand a concern from some dolt using a pressure washer!

I use a bit of car washing soap and water...rinse my Wing and swab away. Don't force water in anywhere and rinse to remove the soap.

Leaf blower works great to dry it off and prevent water spots.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I go to the car wash and use the high pressure hose,careful of dash ,but everythng else gets a good wash.I have been doing this for three years.My remote did ot fare well after riding in the rain for three days,warrenty replacement fixed it.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
for a long time,I was using only Quick Detail,but lately,I've been using car wash soap and water,spraying with a garden hone,and drying off.Ithink the results are much better,and it's a whole lot easier.I don't think there's anything that can be hurt by a light spray,but so far I haven't taken the pressure washer to it!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have not seen any design changes in the handlebar mounted switches from my 89 GL-1500 to my 05 GL-1800A, so a word to the wise. Don't use a car wash spray gun on the handlebar controls!...ever! Yes, they are designed to get wet from the rain and come out okay, but the pressure washers force water into places it shouldn't be and then corrode contacts. After about 5 years, I started having intermittent problems with most of them. Actuating them over and over helped, along with some contact cleaner, but they never worked flawlessly again until I replace some of them. That was not cheap.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I've taken mine to some car washes by high school groups and let them have at it. They are always shocked when I said they can wet it all down. It supports good groups: shows them, and their parents, that all motorcyclists aren't alike: and I get a kick out of watching them figure out the best way to clean it.

Otherwise, dish soap (if it's gentle for my hands it's gentle for my paint), soft rag, hose and a child I can spray from time to time as they run by.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
H2O

Hey Silverback,
The Mr. Clean carwash system has a misting feature for soft water rinses that works well. It won't spot, and you don't have to worry about water intrusion from a big blast of pressure. But like others have said, it is a touring bike thats built to be water resistant in the vital areas. Terry

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I seldom use a hose, I just "bucket wash" it using a wet lambs wool mit. But every once in a while it gets rained on, and a full hose washing is needed. I hose the entire bike down and still wash it with a mit. I don't use any kind of soap except on the wheels.

Then I use a leaf blower to blow the water off it, then dry with a towel, then go back with the leaf blower again. My goal is to get it completely dry before starting the engine. Once it gets hot, any water from a hose will likely water spot it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use Maquires concentrate & water from my garden hose. The instrument panel is the only place I don't spray hard. The thing is almost waterproof. I always wash it that way and I rode it through Hurricane Isabella couple years ago and in solid rain for a couple other days and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I use the Blue Coral Car Wash and a mit that gets replaced often. I just use the soft spray on my nozzel to wet and rinse. This bike has been thru a lot more hard rain than my hose ever gives it so I don't really worry about it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Wanderer said:
I'm sure everyone know this already, but do not use dishwashing soap. It'll remove all the wax and eventually will cloud the clearcoat, even if you wax it after every wash. Soap specific for automotive applications is what to use.
Don't assume, I did not know that until recently. I used dish soap for years on cars, bikes. I figured it was mild on my hands, what could it hurt.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Owners manual talks about we should exercise care when spraying the dash area and avoid spraying the speakers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts