GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be going thru DC area tghis weekend Have always taken 495 around DC to 95. Is taking 295 North and South to 95 any better or faster? It looks a lot shorter, but shorter doesnt always mean faster.
The joy of Rte 95 :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
295 V 495

Topster,
IMO, 495 is the best route around D.C. connecting to I-95.
PM me if you want to know why.
IMO, 295 is not well maintained & can take you thru some less than desirable areas.
Stay safe & enjoy your trip,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm with Hobo. Been through DC about 2 dozen times and taken different routes. I think 495 is the way to go.

Dep

·
Registered
4 Posts
DC - Maybe

Topster,

It depends...

If you're heading north you can get onto I-395 at Springfield and take that into the District. There it becomes I-295 to cross the Anacostia River on Penn Ave bridge. Continue north (also called the BW Parkway) till you get to the 495 beltway and it's one exit around to pick back up on 95 again.

But, if you're heading south the brilliant engineers :roll: didn't make an easy way for folks to go from I-295 south to I-395 south! About the only way I found was to exit I-295 south onto Howard Rd taking that a short distance to the South Capitol St bridge and into the district to access I-395 south.

Don't go this way if there's a large rally going on at the mall as there will be traffic downtown. And if you break down (especially at night) well... just don't break down. :shock:

Secret Hint (don't tell anyone). Depending on the day/time the reversing HOV lanes that run from DC to Dumfries, VA can really speed you along. Nights and weekends they're open to non-HOV traffic and most of the time are much quicker than the regular lanes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Avoid AM or PM rush hours. :(

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I try to hit that area around 1100 in AM if at all possible. Last trip had no problems untill some JO with a huge boat on a really tiny trailer decided to switch lanes fast. 20' or so boat just flying down the road........ :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Unless you want to do the scenic route, stick with 495, Hard to get lost on a circle and you know where you're going :D I agree with the rush hour bit. I would like a buck for every minute I spent on the 495.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
While traveling 495 - Keep your EYE's open for STOPPED TRAFFIC. you can run up on it fast.

·
Registered
922 Posts
295 is an ugly road, I would not want to be on it on my bike, torn up, uneven, strange merges, ugly road. 495 is your best bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts