GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In todays paper it shows an accident with a biker and a wild turkey....The turkey flew into the bike and he lost control and hit some guard rails..He died at the accident site...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
That's another argument for ATGATT ... if the rider were wearing full face helmet, armored jacket, heavy pants, and boots chances are the turkey would not have had as much effect on him ...

"The adult male normally weighs from 5 to 11 kg (11–24 pounds) and measures 100–125 cm (39–49 in). The adult female is typically much smaller at 3 to 5.4 kg (6.6–12 lbs) and is 76 to 95 cm (30–37 in) long. The wingspan ranges from 1.25 to 1.44 m (49–57 in). The record-sized adult male Wild Turkey, according to the National Wild Turkey Federation, weighed 38 lb (17.2 kg)." ... Wikipedia

... and he would have had a better chance in his crash ... ATGATT won't save everybody in all instances ... but it sure helps the odds.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I would guess that more bikers have been injured from drinking Wild Turkey, than frolm hitting one!:22yikes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
While on a ride this past spring I was following my riding buddy and a wild turkey flew up from the side of the road and just over his head. Scared the cr_p out of both of us. Him more than me......No doubt in my mind that it would have knocked him off his bike had it hit him!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Once again, just like the brilliant deer solution I offered, here is my Turkey solution

1. Post "Turkey Crossing" signs
2. Train turkeys to cross only at marked crossings
3. Punish jaywalking turkeys with death or high fines

There you have it..............a simple solution that even politicians can understand.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Here is the whole story

Wild Turkey Caused Fatal Crash

A Minnesota man died Saturday afternoon when his motorcycle crashed on Route 6 near the Kane Drive-In Theater, after he was hit in the head and upper body by a wild turkey flying across the roadway.

Neil F. Phillips, 60, of Hartland, Minnesota, was killed in the 2:20 pm crash on Rt. 6, about 4/10 mile west of Detrick Road in Wetmore Township, McKean County, PA. He was wearing a helmet.

EMS rushed to the scene but Phillips succumbed to his injuries before he could be transported.

Trooper Andrew R. Brothers, of the Kane Barracks, who investigated the crash, said the accident occurred as Philips, operating a Yamaha FJR 1300A motorcycle, had been traveling eastbound on Route 6 in the eastbound lane, when a wild turkey attempted to fly across the roadway from an embankment located on the north side of the roadway.

The turkey impacted Phillips in the left upper portion of his body and head causing him to lose control of the motorcycle. He crossed into the westbound lane and struck the guiderail on the north side of the road. The impact with the guiderail threw Phillips from the motorcycle who came to rest down over the embankment on the north side of the road where he died from his injuries.

The motorcycle fell to it's side, sliding eastbound on the west shoulder where it came to rest. The turkey was located east of the point of initial impact down over the south embankment. Route 6 was closed for a period of time after the crash by Fire Police from Kane & Mt. Jewett.

Troopers were assisted at the scene by Kane Ambulance and Fire Dept. and Mt. Jewett Fire & EMS. Boylan Garage removed the motorcycle from the scene.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The mass of a turkey is such that it would be no match for the motorcycle; however, hitting the rider is another matter. This is why I prefer a taller, tougher windshield - one that will theoretically slow down/deflect a bird's momentum. Sounds like a good test for Mythbusters, like the one they did firing a chicken at an aircraft windshield.

Condolences to the dead rider's family and friends.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
They had news reports here of a turkey breaking the windshield of a car. And glass all over the driver.
Dangerous situation.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It is always sad to hear of a wreck, especially a fatal one. I have seen turkeys around here but they don't usually fly.

I once hit a pheasant. I put my head down, stiffened up on the bars and drove through. Kind of hurt my neck but I stayed up and drove away.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is always sad to hear of a wreck, especially a fatal one. I have seen turkeys around here but they don't usually fly.

I once hit a pheasant. I put my head down, stiffened up on the bars and drove through. Kind of hurt my neck but I stayed up and drove away.
I have a couple of buzzards on my record. A second winger got splattered with guts from the first one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I moved to Texas I was 'introduced' to what they call 'turkey buzzards'. They do a good job of keeping the road kill off the highways, but they really don't like to leave a good road kill, even when you are riding towards them. They take off at the last minute, seem to like to take off right down the middle of the lane, and take off like a fully loaded cargo plane. I've had more than one encounter where I swear I can hear bird feet on the top of my helmet.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I guess people panic,

I have seen it. A bee gets into the car, and death and hardship result. The fear of the bee causes an accident.

I will pull the car off the road, let the bee sting me , then deal with the bee.

Throw a snake in the car with me, I will be a bit more excited, but I will still maintain control of the car. Deal with the snake later.

A Turkey flies at me, I will tuck my head down on the tank and open the throttle and ride though the stupid bird. Then take him home and eat him.

That bird is the least of your problems, that guardrail or going off the road does not play games. Best the bird die than you.

Same with any small animal, dog, cat, squirrel, run over them. No brakes, no swerve, just tuck in and hit them.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I've pulled a desicated humming bird out of the plastic grilling. I've hit several small "song" birds. I've come very close to hitting and maybe even making contact with a large crow and close calls (caws?) with several other crows (they seem to be the worse offenders), one close call with a wild turkey, a couple with turkey vultures (yuk), and even an odd close encounter with a Great Blue Heron on a back country road (neat!). I've hit several deer with no damage to me or bike. Two not so close calls with black bears and one stunning encounter with a bull elk that stared me down for several seconds as I stopped about 20 yards away form him. Is all that "the record"? lol

But, on two occasions I've hit fox squirrels and both did the same strange thing. They went under the front tire, hit the lower center cowl and somehow were pulled back in between the tire and rear section of front fender to be forced all the way through. Trouble is, fox squirrels are a good bit bigger than the gap they went through and they are pretty tough. First time cracked both chromed plastic sides pieces and front section of fender. Replaced with new and second time it cracked the bolt holes on the front section, have not replaced yet as the cost seems way higher now, used black ABS glue to patch it. Squirrel hair and remains are hard to clean off. There are LOTS of critters here about and I mostly do drive the back roads.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Going up 281 to Ft. Worth from San Antonio last Friday evening, had 6 wild turkeys fly across the road about 50 yards in front of me. Was thinking then how glad I was not to have been there yet. So sorry for the family's loss.....hope he didn't suffer long.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Holy crap Pigeon Roost! All I can say is thanks for keeping the road clear for the rest of us :bow:

I frequent a twisty through a State Park nearby...and at a certain corner, there is usually a flock/herd/social gathering of turkeys hanging around the area. Last time I came around the bend, they were having an important meeting in the middle of my lane. The leader is big boy and easily stands as tall as seat height. It ain't gonna be pretty when he gets taken out...and the hens will be sad as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts