1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Wow, a pigeon, of all things. Around here, turkeys are the worst flying threat, though a few months ago I almost hit a buzzard. From what I have been told, hitting either one, at speed, is like hitting bowling ball. Have also picked several smaller birds out of the front grill of several motorcycles.

Reactions: Crookster

·
Registered
101 Posts
Many years ago while riding a HD FL, I hit a bird about the size of a robin. It initially hit the head light and then bounced up and hit my helmet just above the face shield. I was doing about 50 mph and it nearly took me off of the bike. I was surprised by how much force the mass of that little bird packed after being deflected by the head light.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Dumb commercial

This reminded me of the PROGRESSIVE commercial showing a rider enjoying a nice ride and gets pummeled by birds, and it's supposed to be funny. While watching this, I can't help but think how stupid this is and no way would anyone survive it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Years ago riding over a bridge at Clearwater Beach at 50mph I had a seagull come right at me. I was wearing a helmet and should of just lowered my head but I jerked my head away at the last second and it hit my shoulder. It ripped my hand off the handlebars almost wrecking me and I had a large bruise for two weeks. That was just a seagull!

·
Registered
470 Posts
From the article "Less than a year after the accident, Sam was riding motorcycles again"

Assuming that's him pictured on the bike at the bottom of the article, it looks like they added some sort of device to shift the gears. Probably goes to a paddle shifter on the left grip.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
199 Posts
2015 MotoGP at Philip Island
Iannone hit a seagull with his head.

2013 MotoGP at Philip Island
Lorenzo nails a seagull and it sticks in his radiator.
Great close-up video

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Very sad article to read but I give this young man kudos for the way he is handling his accident and he is back to riding a motorcycle in less than a year. I admire him. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I feel sorry for the young lad but great to see that he is moving on with his life I hit a small bird on the wing a long time ago on a trip to Darwin and it nearly took out my right radiator not fun when you are in the middle of nowhere :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
ALL YOU POTENTIAL BIRD KILLERS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM RIDING !!!! …… UNLESS YOU GET A SPECIAL BIRD HUNTING PERMIT.! FOR 2019 I'M OFFERING A SPECIAL OF ONLY $19.99 . COVERS YOU OF ANY HARRASSMENT FROM BIRD LOVERS ! COULD TRADE FOR FREE LUNCH IF IN AREA ! :surprise::wink2:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Some guy in Syracuse NY just had an owl fly through his open window in his car. It hit him in the side of the head and then landed on the passenger seat.
It was on the news tonight

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Amazing fellow. And riding again.:thumbup:

Reminds me of "Wheels". I haven't seen Wheels on this site in a while. I saw his bike in Sturgis 2017 and just missed meeting him.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Amazing fellow. And riding again.:thumbup:

Reminds me of "Wheels". I haven't seen Wheels on this site in a while. I saw his bike in Sturgis 2017 and just missed meeting him.

Corventure Dave
Anybody know what happened with Wheels? I don't think he's posted on this board for a few years!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
I was cruising on interstate 81 in VA at about 70mph and all the sudden I see this black crow in front of me....it happened so fast but I dodged the bird by lowering my head and body as best as I could and and I watched the bird as it got sucked into the wind steam of my Tulsa windshield and never touched the windshield or the bike as it was blasted right over the bike and my head, and then smacked into the face of my passanger...luckily she had her face shield down and wasn't hurt....the crow....well the bird didn't do so well.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I feel sorry for the young lad but great to see that he is moving on with his life I hit a small bird on the wing a long time ago on a trip to Darwin and it nearly took out my right radiator not fun when you are in the middle of nowhere :thumbup:
Forget to mention a while ago a small eagle on a busy freeway nudged hit my lower section of my windbender which cracked it had to get a new lower section the good news is the eagle lived another day so that s 2 birds incidents for me

·
Registered
79 Posts
While riding the CTX1300 I had before the wing a buzzard hit the top of my windscreen. It barely hit the top of my helmet, and nearly took me off the bike. I had a sore neck and shoulders for several days. Now I'm on high alert when I see them on or beside the road!!! The rascals like to fly one direction and then double back at you!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts