GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Sun Journal - Turkey Knocks Hartford Motorcycle Rider Off Bike:
BUCKFIELD - A Sunday afternoon motorcycle ride to shake off winter's cabin fever took a serious turn for a Hartford rider after he was knocked off his bike by a wild turkey. Jeffrey Russell, 23, of Hartford, was being treated for a fractured collarbone Sunday night at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston after the 4:25 p.m. accident.

He was traveling with a friend on Route 117 between South Paris and Buckfield in the area around Streaked Mountain when a wild turkey flew directly into his chest, knocking him backward off his Kawasaki motorcycle and rendering him unconscious.

More at Source.
Ouch!! Little or no windshield, I guess.

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
Whooooaa. You know you plan and ride safe, and watch out for cars and sometimes your number is just "up":eek:4:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
If Arthur Carlson read this, I'm sure his response would be, "Ahaaa..., I KNEW it!"

From WKRP in Cin-ci-nahhhhhh-teeeeeee!

:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Was driving truck years ago on the IN turnpike and had one hit my passenger mirror and ripped it right off the door...always thought of that while on a bike.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We've got a lot of them by us.. Yes, almost been hit a few times when they take wing from the side of the road..

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I could definitely see that happening. When I lived in Texas I regularly had near miss run in's with buzzards munching on varmit roadkill. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Back in the 80's I was riding my Honda cb900 & a quail did the same thing to me.....Ouch...knocked me completely off the bike. :22yikes: I was a hurtin puppy! :nojoke:

Mark

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My brother-in-law worked with a guy that was knocked off his bike by an owl. He didn't make it.

Getting hit by a big bug is bad enough.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bird collisions

Took a direct hit in the windshield of the pickup truck, at about 50 MPH, just above the windshield wiper a few years back and poked a hole in the windshield the size of a basket ball. Turkey didn't come through but wasn't worth picking up for the oven either.
They would be devistating to a biker if you were to hit one.
I have taken a direct hit in the chest and arm by a black bird and a robbin thru all the years of riding. Both felt like a bird that was much bigger and nearly knocked the wind out me.
Alway cautious now when I see the turkeys near the road.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In the fall of '07, I had my 12 year old nephew along for a fall color ride. Came up over a hill and 2 turkeys were on the left side of the road and bolted. I ducked and one of the bird's wings hit my nephew on his right shoulder with his downswing.

Nobody hurt and my nephew thought it was cool. That's as close as I care to come to hitting a turkey.

I did have a hawk drop out of a tree yesterday just off my right shoulder and about 10 feet up going in my direction. Only took him about 20 feet to decide it was time to bail and head off in another direction. Only lasted a couple of seconds, but cool none the less.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Bird Strikes

I killed a crow when it bounced off the top of my helmet about 2 years ago. I thought it was going to hit the windshield, but the airflow pushed it up just enough to clear the plexi - but no my head.
Thankfully, it was a small enough bird so it didn't seem to be much of a danger. It was a sickening sound though...:?

·
Registered
634 Posts
:eek:4: Happened yesterday on US19 (the GA/FL Parkway) in Georgia South of Albany, GA. I was leading and never saw the big turkey-bird, but my riding buddy behind me braked hard and swerved, but still knocked some feathers off of big-bird with a glancing blow. Almost took a direct hit. Turkey was running across the road at full speed.:shock: No damage to the Wing, may have been some to my buds new seat covers he just bought the day before.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Maybe it's mating season and the turkey was near-sighted???

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was riding to work one morning last spring on Rt 102 in RI and one ran out of the brush on my right,:eek:4: I slowed and he was running just ahead of and to the right of the front wheel when he took flight. He just cleared my helmet as he went over me.:22yikes: The list of what to look out for keeps getting longer

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
It would not matter if there was a big windshield, a medium windshield, a small windshield or no windshield. Those suckers are big, heavy and surprisingly fast. If it hit your windshield, it would no longer be of any use and the big guy would be in your face, chest crotch, which ever way it was headed.
We have a number of them around us. Fortunately when I leave in the mornings it is still dark and they are roosting. Where as the deer are up and about. I would rather hit a turkey than a deer.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Years ago my wife and I rode up to the canal recreation area on the Folkston side of the Okeefenokee Swamp. As we headed home in the late afternoon on rte 121, I saw something in my right peripheral vision. At first I thought it was a bomb laden B-52 climbing out of Okinawa, then I realized it was a humongous turkey coming right at me. I ducked down just as the wayward beast hit the top of my helmet. It hit pretty hard and caused the bike to swerve hard enough to wake my wife. She slapped me in the same place and dismissed the long gone turkey as a fabrication.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If Arthur Carlson read this, I'm sure his response would be, "Ahaaa..., I KNEW it!"

From WKRP in Cin-ci-nahhhhhh-teeeeeee!

:lol::lol:

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

We do have to watch for them around here a lot. Not only can they fly up when excited but they also like to walk out into the road just like the deer, coons, possums, and other creatures.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I almoist got nailed by one 2 years ago on my VTX - scared the c**p out of me . Now I see them in flocks(?) on the road around are lake up to 8-10 at a time - as bad as deer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts