GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found water in my trunk down in the bottom where the CB goes. Nothing else was wet in my trunk. Just took top liner out and bolts to rack and spoiler are tight. Any ideas where it came from. I want to fix it before I get my CB. Thanks

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I think the trunk will leak a little around the passengers back rest in a hard rain.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Water will get in through CB wire hole if not sealed properly with silicon.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Rain water gets in from the two screws that hold the backrest on. Hard to keep it out when riding in a real hard rain. I drilled four small holes in each corner or the CB cubby hole.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Rain water gets in from the two screws that hold the backrest on. Hard to keep it out when riding in a real hard rain. I drilled four small holes in each corner or the CB cubby hole.
Honda have actually put a proper drain in the 2012 trunk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I haven't had my '08 Wing very long.

By combination of working too much and checking the weather, I have not ridden it in the rain, yet.

How do they do in the rain?

Do your legs stay relatively dry?

How about your feet? Should I stop and bust out the gators?

Does the windshield put the water up over your head pretty well?

With all that low end power, it just has to be bad on wet, greasy ramps or stops?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
All the above posts are good with how the water gets in. Even a tight spoiler install will sometimes leak around the bolts. Unless you want to pull all the hardware around the trunk and use some silicone seal, you're going to get some water.

Drilling some drain holes in the CB pocket is good, but with that recommendation is go to your auto parts store and get a drain plug. It's the little rubber plugs that go in the bottom of your car doors or the bottom of your spare tire cubby. They're sort of a one-way rubber valve, lets water out but not back in.

And try not to put liquid items in the trunk. It's a bear when they leak and flood out your radio. There's a post of a guy that has a yogurt soaked radio, not fun.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts

By combination of working too much and checking the weather, I have not ridden it in the rain, yet.

With all that low end power, it just has to be bad on wet, greasy ramps or stops?
Nobody likes riding in the rain but,

In a rain shower yes, your feet and legs stay pretty dry. Lots of times I don't stop to put on rain gear unless it turns into a long drawn out downpour.

You can raise the windshield and it helps keep the rain over the top of you, but rain will get on the inside of the windshield regardless. My SO usually keeps Kleenex in the side pockets and can hand me one if I need to wipe the face shield or windshield.

The Wing handles well in the rain, even towing a trailer. Yes, you do need to be careful about starts and stops when it is wet, and where you put your feet down. Toll Booths are especially slick as a rule.

It is nothing you can not handle. Just exercise a little extra caution, just as you would in your Car.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I apologize to the OP for my reply to chuckler and did not mean to hijack your thread...........

That said, I have never gotten water in my trunk. But, drilling some small (3/16 - 1/4" ) holes would help let the water out.

I would try to seal every place where it could be coming in as mentioned by some of the other posters.

I doubt with the lip of the trunk Lid and rubber seal that is getting in around the lid. Most likely as one poster suggested it maybe getting in where the wires fron the CB go through the plastic.

You could try running a stream of water (Low Pressure) around different areas and checking often to see where it is getting in.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

It is a motorcycle, you are going to get wet. Depends on how far you ride and how hard it rains .

In a steady moderate rain, you have to have waterproof boots and a rain suit.

Some rain will go up and over, but if you run a high shield this also creates the problem of not being able to see. I run a short shield and a modular helmet with visor down in the rain, wind keeps the helmet visor clear and I can see well.

Stock bike ,even light rain, will soak your feet. Legs will stay kinda dry, just depend on how far you are going.

Ride all day in the rain, suit up.

Forgot, the ramps. When the rain starts it is very slick. The oil and grease surfaces and lays on the road surface, it takes about 30 minutes of steady rain to wash it away. Never goes away in a light rain. The wing does have torque, so yes take it easy on starts in the wet. The rest of it you just slow it down, brake easy, and avoid standing water. Also any dark spots on the road, could be oil, fertilizer or whatever, avoid those too.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks Kit - That sounds about like my old Venture as far riding in the rain.

I'm concerned about all that low end power on greasy stop and go boulevards.

I had the rearend of my Venture come around one me one time on a wet. oily road when I came off of the Interstate for fuel stop. That's the closest I've ever come to laying a street bike down. I put my leg down to save it and did, but I hurt my knee.

(Sorry about taking the thread on a tangent)

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I also found water in my trunk, turns out some of my water bottles were leaking...

·
Registered
581 Posts
My trunk leaks. Have been keeping tools in the cubby hole. They get rusted and have to clean them up.
Have just installed gl2way. mounted it on 1/4" foam with velcro to keep it off the floor of the cubby hole. Also insulate it from bumps and vibration.
drilling drain holes sounds like a good idea too. Think I will do that before rockies gold.
Oh, I got water into left saddle bag also. water got into honda tool bag.
I never opened it till recently, aside when I first got the bike. When I checked them this week, every thing was so rusted, they are basiclly ruined.
Never relied on them anyway, always carried my own better quality tools.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the info. I do think it is from the back rest as stated. There hasn't been a CB inatalled yet so there is no holes drilled to get wires in. So I'm going to drill the holes in bottom and use the foam pad to lift up the CB unit when I do get one. I do enjoy this forum with all the useful info that is given.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts