GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I am not searching correctly, but I have not found information I am seeking about "waterproof" bike covers for the Wing. It appears that most are at best, water resisitant. I am hopeful of finding a cover that is 100% waterproof yet breathable. Maybe my interest is a pipe dream, but I am still looking. One other condition I would "prefer," is that the cost is not prohibitive or unreasonable. By that I mean, I might have to be satisfied with a cover that "helps" keep out the rain.

I had a cover I bought at Wal Mart and used on the VTX for about $30, but it allowed far too much rain through.

Also, I am considering the 1/2 cover models but would like to have some opinions from those who use them.

Please help if you can. :)

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Seems every time I use a "waterproof" cover, the condensation under the cover is worse then the rain on top.

So, I went to the Tour King (http://tourkingcovers.com/shop/) half cover. It's small, packs easily, and keeps most of the moisture off the important parts of the bike.

All disclaimers apply...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked at the Tourkings, and will check DK to see if they have anything I have not already reviewed. I appreciate your help. :D

Todd

·
Registered
696 Posts
waterproof covers

check out e bay just bought anew cover for my nomad and it is all you need and asked for in a cover look on the goldwing 1800 heading or kawasaki nomad

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I used tent spray repellent on my Dowco cover..

·
Registered
376 Posts
While at the Hoot a couple of years ago, I saw a vendor selling a cover made of the same (or similar) material as the Frogg Togg rainsuits. He claimed it to be 100% waterproof. Sure wish I could remember the vendor's name.

markie

·
Registered
911 Posts
bike covers

personally...I've used the ULTRAGARD® PREMIER COVERS for many years and the rain doesn't go thru...they are a tad bulky, but keep the bike dry...ride safe....

Scot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tangleyes said:
Nelson-Riggs makes WATERPROOF covers.

Dwight
I have a Nelson-Riggs half cover now. It also resists UV. So far I like it for sun and rain protection when I'm parked. I'd be afraid of condensation in a waterproof full cover.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm with DT on the TourKing. The guy that makes these covers told me "if you want 100% waterproof, then keep the bike parked in your garage", but his covers are about as close to waterproof as you'll get. They're made for specific models of different bikes, so the fit is right, and pack small so little room is taken up with the cover when not in use.

Ed W.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks to all who have posted their helpful suggestions and comments. I do appreciate each of you for doing so. So many apparently good choices. :roll: Now, what to do, what to do??? :?

I will decide tho'. :D

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
2004 Goldwing 1800GL
87 Posts
You can look at this EZTouring Cover also.
Very Light Weight, very compact to store. Very waterproof. I've used them for 12 years. They roll up pretty small very similar to the exigent covers. I bought a new one for my GL1800 at Americade.
Hope this helps.

http://www.eztouring.com/wanderer.htm

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use Ultraguard half-cover. Never had a problem with rain getting through- just some light condensation. Have heard bad experiences with full covers in strong winds becoming sails and taking the bike over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Todd,
I have the Nelson-Rigg full and half covers and they work brilliantly! I am also thrifty and they were not very expensive :) I can't seem to remember who I purchased them from.
Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts