GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket that was previously waterproof. It’s maybe 3-4 years old. However, today when I got caught in the rain, I was left with some cold, wet sleeves. Is there something I can treat the jacket shell with to restore the waterproofing?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I believe Nikwax cleaning solution will restore waterproofing. There's a cleaning solution and a "conditioner" of sort....Google it and it will lead you step by step.

Also, I recently purchase a spray called Tarrago Nano to renew a waterproofing on my boots. On the spray it said it was good for jackets too.Google it or check it out on YouTube.

I'm pretty sure Nikwax is a proven product, on the market for years. I have the same Firstgear Kilimanjaro, I washed it with Nikwax and it is still waterproof.

Not sure about Tarrago spray, looks like it's working but haven't checked it out yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nikwax worked on my Firstgear jacket. If dirty clean first with NikWash then air dry. The use the spray and blot with damp towel. Let set until completely dry.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you have a REI outfitters nearby they normally have it in stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...there are a lot of different Nikwax products. Is the "Nikwax Tech Wash" and the "Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On Water Repellant" the stuff I want?

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Wonderful information here: I want to Hijack this thread to say thank you to those that suggested this jacket coating!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wow...there are a lot of different Nikwax products. Is the "Nikwax Tech Wash" and the "Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On Water Repellant" the stuff I want?
Bob, yes those are the 2 you want! :grin2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Be careful using spray on waterproofer. Follow the directions.

I sprayed my jacket in the garage a few years ago and got very ill for a couple of hours. Should have done it outside and worn a mask.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts