GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good product to use on gloves, boots, etc. for waterproofing or at least making them water resistant. I gotta ride through Louisiana again and I want to keep things as dry as I can. :nojoke:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
BOB: Nikwax, https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/ Been using it for many years, Tents, boots, leather Jackets, has never failed me, Have had same Hein Gericke leather Jacket for over 40 years and do a treatment twice a year and never had a time where it did not keep me completely dry and I drove to work every day on a M/C.. Check it out, it works!!!
I agree.

Reactions: cycledude

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
YA JUST NEED TO KEEP THE WINDOWS CLOSED !! …… OR STAY AWAY FROM LA, ! :surprise::laugh:>:)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Keeping dry

I use a variety of things. The only thing I wax is my heated gloves, but not so much for waterproofing but to protect the material. Otherwise, I use GoreTex boots that will keep me dry standing in water. I use Motoport AirTex pant liners, and an Olympia Horizon waterproof jacket. When I get a Motoport jacket I'll get their Air Tex jacket liner as wel. I use Aerostitch glove covers over either my summer or winter riding gloves. I use 303 Waterproofing spray on my cordura pants and jacket, but I don't depend on that to keep me dry in anything but a drizzle. BTW: I also use the 303 on my bike cover where it helps a lot.

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
For any leather products, I like Mink Oil. It softens the leather and makes it waterproof and extends its life. It works great on leather boots and gloves.
AIN'T NO MINKS IN FLORIDA ! :surprise: MAYBE CAN USE "LUV BUG JUICE" PLENTY OF THAT .:laugh:

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I use nikwax on the Aerostich stuff, because that is their recommendation. I recently re-coated a Darien jacket because it was not as water resistant as it once was (wallet got wet while in a breast pocket, zipped shut). It is now as good as it was initially (wallet dit not get wet the last time in heavy rain). I also used it on some, North Carolina" brand boots (made in China), that were supposed to be waterproof, but are not. It helped them immensely. Nickwas does not change the appearance of anything it is sprayed on. So I will stick with nikwax, unless there's something better out there.

Thanks MichaelB for the heads up, on Neverwet. I may have tried that, but not after reading the link you posted.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Louisiana is not your problem...Texas is wet, wet and cold....

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you are thinking of using NeverWet on anything you should look up some of the reviews.

This one is an eye opener: https://slate.com/technology/2013/0...er-repelling-spray-is-no-miracle-product.html
And there are many more. The reviews keep me from trusting it or using it.
I've had excellent results with the NikWax products.
I read that review. That sounds like more of a headache then if you just something wet. I too use nikwax but also bees wax in a canister, hasn't done me wrong yet either

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I've used nikwax, and in my opinion it doesn't do too much good. My original Aerostich Roadcrafter is near 10yrs old, and it sops up water pretty heavily in rain. I still stay mostly dry thanks to the gortex, but the suit is waterlogged dripping wet and heavy as heck holding the water. I did the nikwax during wash, ect, ect, run in the dryer to revive the water reppellant quality. Did all this and the suit repels water fine if you put it under the kitchen sink, but in the real world riding it still soaks water like a sponge.
I have another Aerostich suit that is newer and hasn't been messed up by washing, and it repells water fine.
My experience is if it's made waterproof ect, that is great, but once it's worn out that is the end of waterproof, and the repellants are worthless.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've used nikwax, and in my opinion it doesn't do too much good. My original Aerostich Roadcrafter is near 10yrs old, and it sops up water pretty heavily in rain. I still stay mostly dry thanks to the gortex, but the suit is waterlogged dripping wet and heavy as heck holding the water. I did the nikwax during wash, ect, ect, run in the dryer to revive the water reppellant quality. Did all this and the suit repels water fine if you put it under the kitchen sink, but in the real world riding it still soaks water like a sponge.
I have another Aerostich suit that is newer and hasn't been messed up by washing, and it repells water fine.
My experience is if it's made waterproof ect, that is great, but once it's worn out that is the end of waterproof, and the repellants are worthless.
I have washed the Darien coat, but not the pants. Have also washed the RC suit. After washing, I used the spray on nikwax, and nearly a whole bottle on each piece. I lay the dry garment on a large piece of cardboard, then repeatedly spray nikway till it is soaking, then flip it over and do the same on the other side. It has worked great, but is also recommended to be repeated once in awhile. I only re-sprayed the jacket recently, when I found my wallet wet (in a zippered breast pocket), as mentioned above.

As for Gortex, it has never been what it was advertised to be, since the late 1980s. It does leak wind and water, but very little. Still, if riding in the cold, even the slightest bit of leak is felt. At temps in the 20s-30s, I can feel every zipper location in every piece of Aerostich clothing. It is still about as good as it gets, when it comes to weather and accident protection. I am sure, if nikwax were applied say every 2-3 months, it would probably resist water even better. But yes, the washing machine takes it back to square one. My jacket is yellow, and filthy looking now, but I dread to wash it. Yellow is probably the worst at showing dirt and grime. I already have a couple of spray bottles of nikwax on hand, for when I get round to washing the jacket again.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I ride a used, 2008 motorcycle, and have no problem with used motorcycle gear, as long as it's not underwear. When I buy off eBay, first I look at the seller's historical rating, and only buy from those rated 99-100 percent. I also look closely at pix, and read the ad carefully. This item appears as new.

Reading buyer reviews at your link, I agree with several who said they cause too much loss of dexterity. I have Tourmaster electric, gauntlet gloves and they work OK, but cause loss of dexterity. I am happy to use other gloves, when weather permits. The Knuckle Warmers also help keep wind and rain off the gloves. I have other pairs of gloves that allow better dexterity; one is insulated and supposedly waterproof, but they do get wet in prolonged rain. So I may try nikwax on that pair when the weather warms enough to remove the Knuckle Warmers from the bike for the season.

I am recently retired, now with two kids in college, and a third to enter soon, and cannot afford to buy everything brand new. So rather than, "RUN AWAY", I just try to shop wisely.

Reactions: FlashPilot
1 - 20 of 23 Posts