GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed coolant on the floor under my bike. Its an 02 with 250,000 miles. I checked it out and it looks like my waterpump is leaking. Not a lot, maybe a teaspoon or so. Anyway we are planning a trip to Idaho next week. I have the Honda service manual and it looks like quite a job. Are there any shortcuts that make it easier. How long might it take. I have done all the work on this and my wifes 1800s so I know how a lot of it comes apart and goes together. If I could be sure it wouldn't get worse I would go with it like it is and just add coolant when needed but that might be a BIG mistake.
Thanks
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
18,114 Posts
Don't trust it. Order one and do it before the trip. Remove the tank and alternater. Once the wpump is off, reach in with a deep socket (not short-it might get knock off and land at the bottom of the rear case) and turn the index notch so that it faces up/down as your referance. Oil your new o-ring and have an extra one just in case. Also, those 3 bolts are long and pull easy if not carefully torqued in 2 or 3 steps. Not a bad idea to have an extra 1 or 2 of them ordered either if you want to gaurentee that you take your trip on time. Sometimes they will pull (begine to stretch) at 10 ft/lbs, so I only go 9. Or maybe my Snap-On 1/4 drive torque wrench needs calibrated. The important part about those long bolts is that after they screw in that the w-pump is seated squarly and be twisted even slightly right or left. If so, they will stretch on you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with the Wing, yet, but I do have a lot of experience with other equipment. Frequently, when a water pump leaks, it is caused by the bearing, or at least it's not far behind, meaning it doesn't have a lot of life left either.

At 250,000 miles, I would think some, if not all (I know there are many) of the hoses should be changed too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
water pump replacement

I replaced mine 2 weeks before a trip back in June; 132,000 miles, always used Honda coolant. I did not remove the alternator. Definitely remove the hose that comes out of the water pump and goes to a wye, then down to each head. A little difficult to get them back in, but left enough room to do the job. Note that the pump unit is held to the engine by 3 bolts, but you will see 6 when you look at the pump. The manual tells you which 3 to remove.

To line up the slot in the engine for the new pump, I removed the timing inspection cover on the front of the engine and rotated the engine until the slot is vertical. That way, there's no need to worry about dropping anything into the engine. Also do a fit-check of the new pump into the engine without the o-ring so you know what it looks like when it's in right.

I found a dealer in Denver who got the pump quick-shipped; had it in his hands in 2 days. Cost me an extra $30. Over 3 evenings after work, I probably spent 6-8 hours for the whole job.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just came in from the shed where I was working on the waterpump install. Thought the job had really taken a S_ _T. I was trying to get the pump shaft in place. I had the pump in and out a couple of times doing this. The last time I noticed the O-ring was broken. Well guess I'm done for tonite. Then I noticed the spring clip and the piece it holds on were not there. I found the spring clip but couldn't find the other piece. Figured it must have come off on the inside. I looked around outside the hole and it wasn't there. Then I felt around inside the hole and couldn't find it. Figured it had fallen into the bowells of the beast. If thats the case this has just turned into MAJOR job. I went into the house and told my wife that our upcoming trip to Idaho would be done in the minivan. We went back to the shed and I showed her on the old pump what was lost. She, with her smaller fingers felt into the hole and found the part right away. With a little work she was able to get it out. "SHE SURE IS WONDERFUL!" Guess I'll get a new O-ring tomorrow, maybe a couple of them. Oh, by the way, I bent the end of the spring clip so this won't happen again.

·
Vendor
18,114 Posts
Just came in from the shed where I was working on the waterpump install. Thought the job had really taken a S_ _T. I was trying to get the pump shaft in place. I had the pump in and out a couple of times doing this. The last time I noticed the O-ring was broken. Well guess I'm done for tonite. Then I noticed the spring clip and the piece it holds on were not there. I found the spring clip but couldn't find the other piece. Figured it must have come off on the inside. I looked around outside the hole and it wasn't there. Then I felt around inside the hole and couldn't find it. Figured it had fallen into the bowells of the beast. If thats the case this has just turned into MAJOR job. I went into the house and told my wife that our upcoming trip to Idaho would be done in the minivan. We went back to the shed and I showed her on the old pump what was lost. She, with her smaller fingers felt into the hole and found the part right away. With a little work she was able to get it out. "SHE SURE IS WONDERFUL!" Guess I'll get a new O-ring tomorrow, maybe a couple of them. Oh, by the way, I bent the end of the spring clip so this won't happen again.
I responed to your PM and glad your trip is still on. If you have to order in an o-ring, order 1 or 2 bolts like I recommended above. Just do it so you don't have more set backs at the last minute to garentee your trip is still a go. Make sure you torque as stated above too.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the waterpump is installled. Thanks to GoldWingrGreg, McConnell, and others who came forward with a little needed advice. Also thanks to Ecklund motorsports for the next day service on my parts. And a special thanks to my wife and her small fingers for being able to find and fish out the part that came off inside the bike. I've checked it out and all seems well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you got 'er done. I frequently call on my SO to use her small, but long slender fingers when working on our bikes. She has been a life saver more than once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts