GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the final service to put her away for the winter and noticed coolant running down the rear casing in front of the overthrough bottle. has anyone else had this problem? It is an 2003 model with 66,000 km. Tried to do a search, but couldn't get it to work. Said couldn't find server. Brian

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
waterpump

I agree with the belief that it is just loose clamps.
I experienced the same problem last fall/winter. Whenever I brought the bike into the garage after a ride in cool (-5c to +10c) weather I would find a small amount of antifreeze beneath the bike come morn.
The next time I had off the shelter to clean the air filter, I tightened all the hose clamps. This solved the problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I am going to take her apart after christmas, since I have a few days off and check it over. It sounds like you have to pull the fuel tank out to see the waterpump. Sure hope not since its full of fuel.

·
Registered
16,906 Posts
Hopefully not the water pump. There are many clamps up above there. Also give the over flow tank plumbing a good inspection. The O2 sensor can burn through the left tube and the down tube could be off or cracked or the fitting not inserted properly.

prs

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well now is a good time to check out the ground connection onto the frame under the gas tank. might want to paint the pires with a anticorre There is lot of wires coming together for a ground.
It would not hurt to run a new ground wire from that connection to battery or grounding on addition fuses holders.
ride safe ,
edmund

·
Registered
605 Posts
Had the same problem on my 04. Took it to the dealer and he discovered it was a water pump. The hose clamps were a little loose but he said they were not leaking.
Are you still under warranty? If so, while he is there have him look at the air filter.

PS You said that you hoped that you did not have to take the tank off to get at the clamps. After watching the tech do mine I cannot see how you could get to the clamps without taking the tank off. For sure the tank would have to be removed to get to the water pump

Good luck, working on the bike can be a partial cure for PMS

Ride Safe
Dick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts