GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wave or not to wave, is a simple, common sense issue if you ask me...

Of course "the wave" is a part of the "biker" culture but not to be considered as the "law" of the biker culture.

Just use your common senses.

Of course it does not make sense to wave every biker if you are in the middle of Sturgis or Laughlin rallies. Your arm will never go down. Or if you're dragging your knee and try to wave than you may go down.

On the other hand if you are on the way to Sturgis or Laughlin but still few hundred miles to go and if you are passing 3 other bikers, than "Yes" give them a sign to acknowledge them. Wave, high five, nod whatever.

Just don't try to figure out what they're riding first or what gear is included (or not) on their bodies.

That's what I do...

Also if I see a single bike (with one or two up) on the side of a street or highway (not freeway) I always stop and ask if everything is OK. If they say they are OK, than I continue to my way.

Last summer it was a 100+ day when I saw after few miles away from my home a Harley with an older gentleman next to it on the side of the road. There was no shady area around for him to shelter under. I stopped and asked him if everything was OK. Sweat was pouring from his face.

He thanked and told me that he already called his wife on his cell and she's coming with their trailer and he's expecting her to arrive in 15-20 minutes.

I thought that 15-20 minutes under the direct sun, a day like that may feel a lot longer.

Since I left my home 3-4 minutes earlier I had a one liter bottle of Ice Cold Water in my trunk.

I opened my trunk and gave it to him. First he was surprised and then thanked and also he wanted to pay for it. I told him to help the next stranded biker will pay for that bottle of water. He smiled and told me that he'll.

I don't really care if he did or not.
But I was satisfied with myself.
And that's what matters to me the most...

Ride safe all,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jim,
I'm the same as you......it doesn't matter what we ride, as long as we ride SOMETHING and help each other. That's what it's allllllll about!

John

S

·
0 Posts
I got it - we should talk to Honda and have them incorporate a mechanical hand into the faring. Once a headlight is detected the hand pops out and gives them a cheerie wave. :)
Both hands can stay on the grips and everyone get a Hi sign. :yes2:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Waving hand

Hmmmm.....remember these from the 70's? They had a suction cup on them and stuck to your window, and would wave as you move. :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucky Phil, soon we'll be calling you filthy rich Phil...
:lol:

You got it man!
:idea:

Now, before anybody jumps on it let's have a mass-production plan.
They basically will sell themselves...

Then;
C'mon millions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right on Jim!! The "help the next stranded biker" idea (or "pay it forward") is a great for spreading good will. It first happened to me about 20 years ago when a much older gentleman put 3 gallons of gas in my stranded car & refused to take any money from me. Since then, I help whoever I can & tell them to help the next person. The look of gratitude on their faces is worth more than any money. I especially enjoy helping the "hardened" chopper riders & the "posers." Even if they never help another soul, I still feel I have planted the seed of good will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts