and more courteous to other bikers? :idea: Are most city bikers just kids
using bikes as a cheap way to commute around town and unaway of basic
biker etiquet? I am getting to the point where I don't even wave unless
on the interstate. :oops:

Just a thought...

·
Registered
561 Posts
It might be that things are just a little more hectic in city traffic. I've found that if traffic is fairly thick, the waves drop in frequency.

·
Registered
949 Posts
City riding has more opportunities for danger to appear so I think riders may be more interested in keeping focused on their surroundings than waving. I know I am. The open road is another matter. I always wave regardless how many times it is not returned.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I know for me, and I will usually always wave regardless, there are some times when I have things going on with my hands that are much more critical or important at the moment then trying to make a good natured wave to someone on the road I'm seeing. Sure waving is nice to do, but don't forget that sometimes you or maybe the other person has a corner they are turning or a handlebar they need to hold on to for safely driving their motorcycle. If my hands are not needed for a more important function I'll wave, but not if I think there are other "priorities" at that moment. I know the same applies for others so my waves are not conditional as I know they may be otherwise occupied at that moment too.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I pretty much know the Chopper guys won't wave,
but the full dresser Harley guys do. I think it was
Fred H. who said he just waived at persons with a
helmet on. I think that makes sense to me. I
live in a helmet optional state. I were one 98%
of the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Waving

I have noticed for years that even on the highways, people do not wave, even after I wave at them. :cry: I don't care what kind of bike they have, I will wave at them. :lol: I also ride while working on my Police bike, and even some other Officers do not wave. :x So why is it they don't wave. Maybe they are too stuck up to wave 8) . I have had the pleasure of having bikers wave at me on my Police bike, and Yes I DO WAVE BACK!!! :D
I think that some poeple just do not care to be friendly to ANYONE :cry: what a shame for them!!!!

This is what I have noticed in my more than 25 years of riding bikes.
I will continue to wave at any and ALL bikers. This is a great family, and we should all be waving at each other, it does make me feel better :D
This is my opinion....

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have always waved at every bike I pass when it's safe to. I have since stopped waving at everyone. Not to start a big flame war, but... my personal observation around here (Denver) is that if your not on a Harley, the Harley riders don't wave. I ride with my buddy all the time. He has a Road Glide and all of the Harley riders we pass will wave at him, not me. I have even noticed some purposely drop the wave as I approached.

As for crotch rockets, very few ever wave. Don't know what's up with that other than, if they take their hand off the handlebar, they will probably fall forward.. :wink:

Other GoldWings are almost as bad as the Harley riders.

So. I only wave back to those that wave at me now.

Flame retardant suit is now on.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wave

I wave at every bike I see. Have received waves back from every type bike on the road. Have not received waves back from every type bike on the road. Don't care. My choice to be friendly and acknowledge another bike. If they don't wave back, it ain't no sweat off my back, I still feel good because I am doing what I like best.
Ride.............

G

·
I find most bikers wave here be it in town or out on the open road. I usually do the tilt-the-head back thing. Then the cross wind sucks out my nostril fluids and they wrap up around my cheek, then I have to take one arm of the steering and wipe my nose/cheek on my sleeve. Then I get home and hang my shirt on the bedroom door knob so I can do it all over again tomorrow.

hmmmm pizza is here :chef2:

·
Registered
823 Posts
pgreen7436

I too have seen the Harley guys wave at my harley riding budy and then drop the wave when they get to me. I usually give them a sign that indicates they are number one with me or perhaps it means something else !!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK guys it's just a wave, I wave all the time and get about 75% return.
Now with the shoe on the other foot there are times that I don't see the other bike until they are well into my peripheral vision and they are waving and it's to late to return there wave, anyway there are many things to see out there on my 2 wheels and It's not just a fixation of watching out for another fellow bikers. Now I just can't be the only one enjoying that panoramic view. Can I? Am I?

Al

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK guys it's just a wave, I wave all the time and get about 75% return.
Now with the shoe on the other foot there are times that I don't see the other bike until they are well into my peripheral vision and they are waving and it's to late to return there wave, anyway there are many things to see out there on my 2 wheels and It's not just a fixation of watching out for another fellow bikers. Now I just can't be the only one enjoying that panoramic view. Can I? Am I?

Al

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I got tired of reading about all the cracks today, and took a short 50 mile ride. I went through town and met two bikes, waved to both, they both waved back; one was an HD, don't know about the other. Out in the country, I met another HD with two up, waved, they didn't. They DID look pretty cold to me...it was in the 50's. Life goes on....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Around here almost everybody waves back.
Then again they call rural Nebraska "wave country" because people even wave to each other in cages.
Yes, even to people they don't know or recognize.
Probably has something to do with the lack of trafic.
Often you can drive several miles and not meet a car, so when you do it's just natural to wave :a13: at them.
Of course when I take the cage to Denver to see my kids look at me wierd until I remember to stop waving at everybody :D
:rat: Bake

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Waving

Burton Brink said:
I have had the pleasure of having bikers wave at me on my Police bike, and Yes I DO WAVE BACK!!! :D
I think that some poeple just do not care to be friendly to ANYONE :cry: what a shame for them!!!!
Good for you! Our local police (San Antonio) drive white 1800's. I wave, just because they are also motorcyclists, (hell I wave at kids on tricycles, because they are the riders of the future) and for the most part they wave right back.
Cute story: One night just after sundown I was on my way home. Running at a little spirited pace around a curve. Ahead, I saw the familiar shape of 1800 head lights. I waved. He blipped his siren! OOOPS! But he didn't stop me. Whew!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll post this again about the four bike types....A humorous look at waving:
Why Riders Don't Wave - Top 10 Reasons

Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10.Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.
8. Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by those rice-burner
manufacturers.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're jealous that after spending $30,000, they still don't own a Gold Wing.

Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10.Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite
navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Why Sport Bike Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they are supposed to.
9. If they took one hand off the bars they would break their teeth.
8. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars.
7. It's hard to put their hand in the air doing 175.
6. Their skin tight-kevlar-balistic-nylon-goose-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
5. One handed stoppies are ill advised.
4. They are waving, but you can't see it behind the neon green speed screen.
3. They were slipping their flip-flop back on.
2. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
1. They don't know how.

Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

·
Registered
891 Posts
It a Mystique thing

They are mystified,by all that flowing plastic.It just look's gorgeous,and they are on a heavy cluncker that cant catch you,must less a 750cc.But it is cool too have a twin with all that noise, I guess? :shock:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts