GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
17,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someones has waves in their battery case, even small ones, it's a strong indication that battery failure will happen soon. At the very least, and for Wings that are used for lunch running around town, the battery needs tested frequently. If doing a trip, or where reliability is paramount, replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Thanks for sharing that 411 Greg. (y)

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
408 Posts
Good tip! When you this phenomena there's usually two reasons for this, charging system out of spec and overcharging and/or not enough ventilation to keep battery cool. I've seen this many times in UPS units and fire panels before the above two problems were corrected. Keep posting great tips to save us a lot of preventable aggravation while out on the road!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
If someones has waves in their battery case, even small ones, it's a strong indication that battery failure will happen soon. At the very least, and for Wings that are used for lunch running around town, the battery needs tested frequently. If doing a trip, or where reliability is paramount, replace it. View attachment 374694
Mine looked just like that same brand, 6 years old ,changed it

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lol, this post is ironic. I went to start the Wing yesterday after cleaning it from sitting for about a month and a half do to the heat and fires of here in Ca and low and behold it would crank over but not like it should. Would not fire off and I knew t was the battery, went and bought an new one for autozone and it fired right off. I seen those waves in the sides and I knew, I need to return the old battery for my core and get my 10 bucks back.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Deforming of the battery's polypropylene case is not just an indication of a failing battery but also of an underlying problem ie. swelling. The poly case operational temperatures is 0C to 110C. The problem here is severe overcharging or shorting and while a battery test may indicate an operational battery, yes, replace it but determine the cause of the swelling (heat). If the battery cells are shorting, starting should be affected, however I would also look at any battery charging system being used. In a non-sealed battery you would smell rotten eggs, but in sealed batteries more difficult to notice.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Good info to know here....Thank you Gregg!

Ronnie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts