GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my trailer painted with the correct code paint so it matches my bike. How long should I wait before waxing the new paint? Can't find that info anywhere on the can. It says that it's a methyl ethyl ketone, whatever that means.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Whoever painted it should be able to tell you unless you did it yourself. I had a pickup that had a lot of hail damage and when I got it back I ask the body shop manager how long to wait and he said no need it's go to go right now.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Just had my trailer painted with the correct code paint so it matches my bike. How long should I wait before waxing the new paint? Can't find that info anywhere on the can. It says that it's a methyl ethyl ketone, whatever that means.
Call a local body shop and tell them what you used. They should be able to answer your question.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Paint

If you had clear coat on it ,you can wax the next day. I would wait a week tho

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm not sure what your referring to as being made out of or having ketones in it, but please unless the manufacture of the paint you have on your trailer says it OK, don’t put that on your paint job... If you do, your new paint job could get ugly real quick... :eek:4: :eek:4:

To give you some idea what you might be getting yourself into, ketone is what most fingernail polish and removers are made from/with as well as a lot of paint removers...

I know, they will tell you that they are made with Toluene and most are but they don't have to put everything on the label...
:shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Most paints are 90 days....climate and humidity have a play on that factor...Keep it clean and dry for now

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The methyl ethyl ketone is what is in the paint mixture and is written on the can. I'll ask my son in law, who painted it, if he applied a clear coat. I believe he did but I'll check before I wax.

It's an Aluma trailer with the glossy checker plate. I have some corrosion spots on the checker plate because, although it was protected, it was outside. It seems that any moisture at all on the surface and corrosion spots appear. I have some Flitz but what do you guys use and is ordinary car wax a good way to protect the finish?

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Ask the guy who painted it

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ask the guy who painted it
Done that. Awaiting his reply but thought I'd find out quicker here and maybe get it done this evening.

·
Registered
201 Posts
MEK is ingredients of lacquer paint......you can wash it now but wait 30 days to wax

·
Registered
49 Posts
......If the guy that painted the trailer would have taken the time to wet sand and buff the whole thing.....you wouldn't have to wax at all. You better get with him and tell him to do it right next time........:thumbup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lacquer is rarely used any more. It becomes brittle and cracks in time. Most shops use an acrylic enamel. The key to being able to buff and wax it almost immediately is adding a hardener to the paint. If hardener was added you can wax now ... if not then you should wait 30 days or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts