GL1800Riders Forums banner

361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Administrator
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Appreciate the feedback, but if I need to start installing browser extensions and jacking around with color settings just to participate in a forum........then I'm done and out of here.
Not sure how this is progress?
Just offering you a temp work around. You can check this out or wait for more upgrades. High Contrast
Since I don't control the speed of our updates I can only offer alternatives in the meantime.
-Philip

·
Administrator
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Been a while since I've been on the ST owner's forum but had to look up something for a FB group that I still follow. So, after finding the article I scroll down to the bottom and lookey there, that's also a VS owned site running Xenforno (or whatever). So now I have to ask, why no ads over there on the side bars and in between posts?? I wasn't even logged in and didn't have to squint to read posts squeezed into 2/3 of the page and dodge around checking what was a post and what wasn't. What determines what VS sites get the format we have here and others are spared, even running the "same" version??
Our entire network will eventually be managed on one platform. The site you saw is likely on an older xenforo platform.
-Philip

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I am also a member of the ST-Owners forum and they changed to their new format (to the best I can figure out) in September of 2018.

I was not thrilled with the new format on the ST-Owners forum but, after 1.5 years, I can navigate it like before. Well, I know how to navigate it.

The point being is that, while I liked the old format here on the GL1800Riders forum, and the new one is new and different, its a learning experience.

I am still a novice here, using the new format, I can make it work and find stuff. I use a MaxBook Air and Safari and I don't have a lot of ads, except on the side bar, which is where the "new posts" use to be but, there is a button at the top of the screen that shows me the new posts. So, I am still learning. But it does work.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am also a member of the ST-Owners forum and they changed to their new format (to the best I can figure out) in September of 2018.

I was not thrilled with the new format on the ST-Owners forum but, after 1.5 years, I can navigate it like before. Well, I know how to navigate it.

The point being is that, while I liked the old format here on the GL1800Riders forum, and the new one is new and different, its a learning experience.

I am still a novice here, using the new format, I can make it work and find stuff. I use a MaxBook Air and Safari and I don't have a lot of ads, except on the side bar, which is where the "new posts" use to be but, there is a button at the top of the screen that shows me the new posts. So, I am still learning. But it does work.
I don't have any trouble "navigating" the sites. I don't like what I have to navigate through/around here.
Yes, the ST forum updated from a previous site platform (which I preferred over the current one for layout) but at least it's still full page width and ad free, which makes it much preferable to this version.

·
Administrator
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
We will continue to see weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. You can follow the update progress here.

- Cricket

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I am done with the moving ad’s on the side of the screen while trying to view the forum in dark mode. I don’t know how much longer I will stand for it. Seems that a lot of members are going ‘poof!’ Gone! Sad.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am done with the moving ad’s on the side of the screen while trying to view the forum in dark mode. I don’t know how much longer I will stand for it. Seems that a lot of members are going ‘poof!’ Gone! Sad.
Yep, I agree. Have said it all along. It's an irritating mess and tired of only having use of 2/3 of my screen plus dodging the "posted" messages. It will drive away a lot of members.

·
Administrator
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Yep, I agree. Have said it all along. It's an irritating mess and tired of only having use of 2/3 of my screen plus dodging the "posted" messages. It will drive away a lot of members.
Hello all,

If you would like to upgrade to our new premium membership you will have a decreased amount of ads and be able to toggle the right column.

Jeff M

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hello all,

If you would like to upgrade to our new premium membership you will have a decreased amount of ads and be able to toggle the right column.

Jeff M
Thanks, but not a chance I'm paying to get rid of ads on a forum. Plenty if other places to spend my time and get/dispense information. This site was a favorite for my GoldWing interests but I joined the party too late/too soon before the "update" screwed the format up. And, I guess, from what has been said, it may happen to many other sites of similar ownership, so I will spend less time learning/sharing eventually. So far, most of the ones I frequently visit have yet been spared.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My add blocker is doing a terrific job except for this one irritating thing. I’m getting tired of dealing with this one little window that keeps popping up.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Are you somehow not logged in? Yet you're able to comment?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hello all,

Jeff M
So we get a new forum that most don't want. Making a simple forum much more complicated than before or needs to be.......then you throw obnoxious ads in our face......
Then we're supposed to annually fork money to have a "Reduced-Ad experience"?

I don't mind donating to support a forum, but this is over the top IMHO.
No thanks....

·
Registered
787 Posts
So we get a new forum that most don't want. Making a simple forum much more complicated than before or needs to be.......then you throw obnoxious ads in our face......
Then we're supposed to annually fork money to have a "Reduced-Ad experience"?

I don't mind donating to support a forum, but this is over the top IMHO.
No thanks....
Welcome to the modern internet. Geeks spend every minute of their day trying to get our money and this is just another way to do it. Voluntary blackmail.

Imagine if your car was programmed to have an annoying sound and they offered to fix it for you at your expense.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Nothing is for free. The forum takes money to operate. They can either make that money with ads, or by collecting a membership fee.

Install uBlock Origin and never see another ad.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Nothing is for free. The forum takes money to operate. They can either make that money with ads, or by collecting a membership fee.

Install uBlock Origin and never see another ad.
Then be up front and ask for donations and help supporting the forum.....I'm sure many here, myself included, would donate to keep the forum up and running.
Don't make things difficult and shove crap in your face, then make it sound like they are doing you a favor of a "reduced ad experience" with a Premium membership.
All the while there are many long time members walking out the door because they have had enough.....

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Then be up front and ask for donations and help supporting the forum.....I'm sure many here, myself included, would donate to keep the forum up and running.
Think so? You were on the other side of the screen at one time - you know exactly how this works.

Don't make things difficult and shove crap in your face, then make it sound like they are doing you a favor of a "reduced ad experience" with a Premium membership.
All the while there are many long time members walking out the door because they have had enough.....
This forum is a business. This is no longer a hobby. There are others out there that have hobby-style forums out there. Google is your friend in finding them. Then again, there are those other (massive) social media platforms out there, you know, where a reasonable percentage of those 'long time members' seem to be.

I use the term 'benevolent dictatorship' to describe how a forum is managed, because it's just so darn accurate. VS has 150+ forums to manage. Of course it's in the best interest of the business to make them all operate the same behind the scenes. You certainly can't fault them for wanting things to be streamlined on their side of the magic screen, can you?

Creatures of habit for 15+ years - it's a hard thing to change.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Think so? You were on the other side of the screen at one time - you know exactly how this works.
....and we asked for donations to support the forum, if you can remember. Yes, it was a way different time then.
Not here to debate how this forum is ran, it's just sad IMHO.

If it gets enough for me, I'll just have to move on I guess.

361 - 380 of 402 Posts