GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is not the best picture I have ever taken but you will get the idea. This is on the Million Dollar highway out of Ouray. It is just a slight drop off the side of the road. :shock:

Here is where that pass goes.

You are right. We don't need no stinkin guard rails. :D

Marc

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I for one have never ridden on any roads like that and I am not sure how I would handle it. It does intimadate me. I suppose if I were with someone the first time who has already been there and done that would be ok if I could go my own speed. Call me a wuss, I am being honest. I envy anyone who rides these type of roads and enjoys them.

The funny thing is I have been on towers that were over 100 feet off the ground and even had to unsnap my climbing belt for one reason or another and it never even bothered me... Go figure.....

If there is a guard rail or even just a cable I am usually pretty comfortable on these roads.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
A couple of my favorites:

and, here's a new one.

The rider, in the red leather jacket, wasn't hurt and rode another 250 miles that day. (Almost everything on the bike "buffed out," too.)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
fairly typical in the mountainous west. Often the curves have rails but not the straights. Lots of drop-offs. You have to decide whether you're looking or driving. Often I'll drive a road twice in one day just to enjoy the view on one trip and the ride on the next.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Beautiful country...When I went to the top of Pikes Peak on my VTX, the downdrafts were so bad above the tree line that I had to ride against the hill and increase the speed, and the last eleven miles are packed gravel.

K7LVO: You shouldn't have posted that last picture, we'll never get Ross on the mountain now.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Cool pics, Fred. I LOVE no guard rails.

This is in West Virginia. Lots of roads with loose gravel and steep drop offs.

And it's laways fun riding those kind of roads while taking pictures at the same time. :shock: :lol:

8)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
The ride up Mt Evans was the most unnerving to me... the last 7 miles
were very steep and narrow... no guard rails.. and somewhat of a downhill ride if you failed to negotiate a turn.. My wife said she closed her eyes and prayed all the way up and down.. :lol:

cosmic

·
Vendor
22,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
High altitude riding is something you get used to after you do it a few times.

The first time I rode Hwy 550 I almost wet myself. I rode it this summer and it didn't even seem like a big deal anymore and I honestly don't understand why it ever bothered me.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Fred, thanks for posting your pictures and starting this new post, if it weren't for you, nobody else would've posted their respective pictures, or at least not at this time, and we wouldn't have felt that much better as we do now. Once in a while do that.
Everybody else, take heed!

Ride safely

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Someone recently posted about that "Road of Death" in Bolivia...
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69540

There was a special on it last night on the History Channel. CRAZY road!! People (thrill seekers) are now doing it on mountain bikes.... but I didn't see one motorcycle on it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My favorite stretch of road on the planet, Hwy 12 through the Escalante Grand Staircase. Cliff on both sides of the road, twisty, no guard rails, and no traffic.... Yee-Haw!! And yeah, I foolishly took this picture with one hand while steering with the other.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, where's Mt. Evans? I want to put that on my list of gotta-ride roads.

G

·
Funny thing about high country riding.
If what they say is true about if you look at it, you'll hit it, seems strange more riders don't drive off the edge.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Thats my world !!! I live just off of Highway 550 ... I do the Aztec, New Mexico to Ouray, Colorado at least once a week and some times 3 times a week. Drove over to Montrose Colorado just to make a trip yesterday !

Fred H,

Those pictures of yours look like highway 141 in Colorado... West central Colorado.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Eidelweiss Motorcycle High Alpine Tour... the Alps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
trialsman said:
Pardon my ignorance, where's Mt. Evans? I want to put that on my list of gotta-ride roads.
It is just South of Idaho Spring in Colorado. That is about 1/2 hour West of Denver.

http://www.mountevans.com/

Let me know when you are out this way an I'll be happy to give you the guided tour. :shock:

Marc

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dorian_Blue, that's my back yard there in your picture. That piece of road is often called the Hogs Back or Razor Back. It's down alongside Devils Backbone which runs around the perimiter of the Grand Staircase on the north. Highway 12 is indeed a wonder and worth a peek if you all are in the neighborhood of Bryce Canyon.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
RazorBack said:
Dorian_Blue, that's my back yard there in your picture. That piece of road is often called the Hogs Back or Razor Back. It's down alongside Devils Backbone which runs around the perimiter of the Grand Staircase on the north. Highway 12 is indeed a wonder and worth a peek if you all are in the neighborhood of Bryce Canyon.
Indeed Mr. Taylor, my wife and I spend a lot of time playing in your back yard. It seems like every summer we find a good excuse to ride from Capital Reef to Bryce on our way to or from somewhere. Those gals that run the General Store and Outfitters place near Boulder have become some fairly good friends of ours. Its always nice to stop and share a meal with those folks while they tell us tales of the latest bikers they've rescued from those canyons.

You do live in paradise. I envy you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts