GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my final drive fluid about 1,000 miles ago and as I was checking the tires today, I noticed this.
It is not really leaking, just seepage.
I checked the cap and it was tight.
I wiped it down and will see how it does the next 1,000 miles. I think it should be fine.

I will keep my eye on it and the next time I do the service on the bike, I will change the o-ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance you spilled some gear oil while filling it?

:doorag:

It was clean before I changed the oil and I thought it was clean when I was finished.
It could have been the towel I used, maybe had some oil on it and it just got a lite smear on the drive and then collected dust over the last 1,000 miles. Who knows.
The bike now has 11,000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 10,000. Some people said that was too early, but I did it anyways.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I noticed the same thing the first time I checked my final drive. I reinstalled the plug and have had no further seepage in 7500 miles.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Most likely, oil residue spread around from the rag used to wipe it down. I use a fresh rag for final wipe down, but that still depends on how good of a wipe down I do with it. If it comes back after being washed off (not just wiped off), then there may be a pinched seal. If the seal did not get an oiled wipe, it could have bunched up and popped out to get pinched, or it just may have decided to fall out of the groove at the wrong time.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It was clean before I changed the oil and I thought it was clean when I was finished.
It could have been the towel I used, maybe had some oil on it and it just got a lite smear on the drive and then collected dust over the last 1,000 miles. Who knows.
The bike now has 11,000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 10,000. Some people said that was too early, but I did it anyways.
The last two Wings I had I changed the rear diff fluid at every oil change. Fluids are cheap parts are not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts