GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just confirming my opinion here, these look like ready for replacement (though the tread still seems pretty deep)

Thoughts? thanks

W

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
ARE THOSE NEW !!!! :surprise::laugh: UNLESS GOING ON TRIP PLENTY LIFE LEFT TO ME

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Look closely and you'll see that the wear bars are farther down inside the tread and they are hard to see. Maybe 1/4" wide.

What you see in those pictures is the tread, and plenty of it.

Here's a wear bar (middle of the photo)

Go ride.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Unless they are really old, as in 5-7 years, or are not performing like you need them to in term of grip or handling, I wouldn't replace them. They have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
How many miles are on that tire now ? Looks like lots of life left.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Tire looks great. Run it to 2/32nds and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would replace on my bike but they are fine on yours - its not like it rains hard everyday so chances of loosing traction this week is very slim. Also try riding aggressively - if your tire isn't loosing its footing, try going faster. I'd wait until you lay her down at high speed or have the rubber so worn that you can see the steel strands. Then and only then should you replace that tire. Safety is over rated

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would replace on my bike but they are fine on yours - its not like it rains hard everyday so chances of loosing traction this week is very slim. Also try riding aggressively - if your tire isn't loosing its footing, try going faster. I'd wait until you lay her down at high speed or have the rubber so worn that you can see the steel strands. Then and only then should you replace that tire. Safety is over rated
Sometimes you just gotta live on the edge

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Its funny the things we do to attain that balance between safety and cost-efficiency.

Me? I use a spreadsheet that utilizes two different methods of calculating tyre life.

Both ignore the "wear-bars" and both rely on "digital depth measurements" every 45* on circumference.

·
Registered
927 Posts
After a couple of 100K miles on the Stone G709/704 combo, I've pretty much figured out what I can get out of them...of course my calculations have been off a time or 2 :22yikes:

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Most wear bars are at 2/32nd. IMO, the tire is unsafe in the wet long before that.

I typically replace at 4/32nds or before any trip where the mileage I expect on that trip will get the tire to under 4/32nds before I return.

That is my rule for a touring bike or any bike I'm going to take on a trip or significant distance. Now...for an in town only errand running bike like my Grom, I may take down to the wear bars as I won't likely ride in the wet on that bike.

Bottom line...I don't ever want to be riding in the rain on a tire with less than 4/32nds.

The tire in the first pic looks like it has 6/32nds or more to me. Maybe it's just the way the picture looks but new tires only have 7 or 8 / 32nds so a tire with 6/32nds is still good to go for me.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Thanks for the reasoned response

Most wear bars are at 2/32nd. IMO, the tire is unsafe in the wet long before that.

I typically replace at 4/32nds or before any trip where the mileage I expect on that trip will get the tire to under 4/32nds before I return.

That is my rule for a touring bike or any bike I'm going to take on a trip or significant distance. Now...for an in town only errand running bike like my Grom, I may take down to the wear bars as I won't likely ride in the wet on that bike.

Bottom line...I don't ever want to be riding in the rain on a tire with less than 4/32nds.

The tire in the first pic looks like it has 6/32nds or more to me. Maybe it's just the way the picture looks but new tires only have 7 or 8 / 32nds so a tire with 6/32nds is still good to go for me.
Thanks for the reasoned, thoughtful response. I think the amount of tread we want on our tires is a matter of personal opinion if we are not running the tire down to the cords. I also think your actual tread depth standard is very useful to help answer the OP's question.

I confess to being a bit stupid here. I once ended up nearly dumping my Wing because I did not pay attention to the fact that my rear E3 was down to the cords and had an issue on wet pavement. I also ended up 1000 miles from home with a bald front tire when I could have easily changed it before I left on the trip. I was just last week considering going on a 3500 mile trip with a front E4 with 3/32s of tread remaining but I dodged that bullet and am replacing the tire the week before I leave. Some of us can be taught, we are just really slow. :frown2:

·
Registered
927 Posts
It looks like that person spent too much time living on the straight and narrow and not enough time on the edge of the tire! :grin2:
Ohh......Now that hurt!!!:crying:

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Thanks for the reasoned, thoughtful response. I think the amount of tread we want on our tires is a matter of personal opinion if we are not running the tire down to the cords. I also think your actual tread depth standard is very useful to help answer the OP's question.

I confess to being a bit stupid here. I once ended up nearly dumping my Wing because I did not pay attention to the fact that my rear E3 was down to the cords and had an issue on wet pavement. I also ended up 1000 miles from home with a bald front tire when I could have easily changed it before I left on the trip. I was just last week considering going on a 3500 mile trip with a front E4 with 3/32s of tread remaining but I dodged that bullet and am replacing the tire the week before I leave. Some of us can be taught, we are just really slow. :frown2:

Thanks. Agree about the personal opinion. To me, the key is to figure out your standard and then hold yourself to it.

My standard is more conservative than some and I remove tires that others would easily ride for another 3K miles and that is ok.

To me, getting another 30% of life out of a tire when it's less than ideal in the rain is simply a risk / reward equation. A new front tire is $130, 30% of that is $39. Is saving $39 over the next 3K miles worth the added risk of a tire that has compromised performance in the rain? For me, it's not. For others, it might be or maybe they don't ride in the rain enough for the risk to even be real.

Once again... it's less important that you standard matches someone else's and more important that you have thought it through and decided what your standard is.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Ohh......Now that hurt!!!:crying:

Agree...but you're pretty normal. More often than not, that is the life of a street tire. Unless you live in the mountains and can ride twisty roads all the time, your tire wear will match the % of curves the tire is ridden on. For most of us, we spend a lot more time going straight than in a turn.

I did have one set of street tires I wore out on my Super Duke where I wore out the outside before the inside. That was probably the most fun 2K street miles I've ever ridden too....but it's definitely the exception and not the rule for me.

I live in North Central Texas...it's 300 miles of straight to find good twisty roads so unless I trailer the bike, I'm burning up a lot of my tire on straight roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts