GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a Falken 912 and noticed that I am wearing more to the right side. Anyone have any ideas about this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
soupysales

could be defective tire possible a broken band if it where me I'd replace the tire look to see if there is one spot wores than the rest:?: if there is that's what it is very dangerious

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Did you mount it with the outside marking to the left? I don't know if this will make much of a difference but just a thought. I wore mine out in the center first!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I am currently running a Falken 912 and noticed that I am wearing more to the right side. Anyone have any ideas about this?
My Pirelli is wearing just a smidge more on the right than the left. Not sure why. When I say smidge, that equates to the right side having worn .025" more than the left side. Not anything I'm gonna worry about. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
How many miles do you have on the tire? What tire pressure are you running. I found out that the Falken loves the 44psi's and mine wear even all the way acrossed here in PA.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
PUT YOUR WALLET IN LEFT POCKET :wrong:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just replaced my Kuhmo with a Falken. My Kuhmo was worn at least 25% more on the right side than the left. It was down to the wear bars in the center. Only had 10K on it. I am running Falken with 42psi now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Outside is facing to the left, approx. 14k on the tire, there isn't enough in the wallet to have to shift it to the left side, running 42psi.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Outside is facing to the left, approx. 14k on the tire, there isn't enough in the wallet to have to shift it to the left side, running 42psi.
Wel lI will tell you what thats some pretty good milage out of the Falken. The last one i ran i got 12,000 and it was bald no more miles left in it LOL. I would bump up the air pressure to 44 and that will wear on the center a little more and maybe give you even wear till the tire is shot :thumbup: Good Luck

·
Registered
393 Posts
The tire is asymmetrical which is why there is an Outside and Inside on each side of the tire. The outside is more of a summer tire design, the center is a rain tire design, and the inside is a winter tire design. That is one way of making an all-season tire, use 3 different tread designs on a single tire.
Anyway, the summer side should wear better and the winter side will have better traction usually.
Make sure you mount it the proper direction for your vehicle. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
The tire is asymmetrical which is why there is an Outside and Inside on each side of the tire. The outside is more of a summer tire design, the center is a rain tire design, and the inside is a winter tire design. That is one way of making an all-season tire, use 3 different tread designs on a single tire.
Anyway, the summer side should wear better and the winter side will have better traction usually.
Make sure you mount it the proper direction for your vehicle. :shrug:
Interesting !

·
Registered
80 Posts
rt side wear

Believe it or not, the reason the right is wearing slightly more is because almost all roads are crowned in the middle which makes the right side of any tire wear more. Most of the time it's not noticeable. At least this is part of the wear problem.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Believe it or not, the reason the right is wearing slightly more is because almost all roads are crowned in the middle which makes the right side of any tire wear more. Most of the time it's not noticeable. At least this is part of the wear problem.
only if you drive on the left side of the road. in the US the crown would put the bike in a slight left turn relative to the road surface which would seem to indicate more left side wear to me.

If you drive on a lot of clover leaf highways you will get right side wear for sure. Count how many times a day you turn right vs left, I bet right wins by a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts