GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were on our way to Region A rally in Eufaula, AL and stopped in Meridian for lunch and noticed brake fluid coming from the left front wheel and wetting everything on the left side including my jacket. After making sure the front hand brake was working well and no leaks, we made it back to Yazoo City, MS using just the front brake. Washed everything off and took the front wheel covers off. There was a slight residue of brake fluid on the upper left caliper. Washed it off with brake cleaner and pushed on the foot brake with no leak. The brake petal went way down when we were in Meridian, however, it only goes down now like it should with a very solid petal. My question: could the anti dive mechanism cause a leak and only leak while applying brakes while in motion?
Thanks in advance for any insight, Bob

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Fork oil, not brake fluid maybe!

Should be easy enough to find the leak after removing a little plastic....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We were on our way to Region A rally in Eufaula, AL and stopped in Meridian for lunch and noticed brake fluid coming from the left front wheel and wetting everything on the left side including my jacket. After making sure the front hand brake was working well and no leaks, we made it back to Yazoo City, MS using just the front brake. Washed everything off and took the front wheel covers off. There was a slight residue of brake fluid on the upper left caliper. Washed it off with brake cleaner and pushed on the foot brake with no leak. The brake petal went way down when we were in Meridian, however, it only goes down now like it should with a very solid petal. My question: could the anti dive mechanism cause a leak and only leak while applying brakes while in motion?
Thanks in advance for any insight, Bob
Very possible, as the rear brake actuates the secondary master and front brakes when rear is used.

Could be the plunger at the secondary master or a hose or banjo bolt leak at the secondary, or anywhere for that matter.

The fluid is now most likely low in the rear main , master, I would fill it up, leave the rotor covers off, and take the bike for a ride and inspect it about every mile and see where it is leaking.

All that is on the left side.

Might be the fork seal ............or both, as rear pedal going full down is not right

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If it was brake fluid I would think it would have toasted a lot of painted surfaces by now. Look at the fork seals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for your responses. After checking all the fluid reservoirs and finding them all full, I looked at the left fork seal and I can see oil seeping. I have never had to change the fork seals on this 2003 Goldwing with 166,000 miles on it. I guess it is time!

Thanks again for the help,
Bob

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts