GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I started riding about 35 years ago, I always (okay, almost always) wear a helmet (usually modular but sometimes a 3/4 helmet in hot weather). I always were gloves, and always wear good boots to protect my ankles. And MOST of the time I have worn a jacket. Truthfully, since I bought my Goldwing three and a half years ago, riding in hot weather had often had me stuff the mesh jacket I had into one of the saddle bags. Even with Baker Wings set to divert as much air on to my body as possible, and with the vent in the windscreen open, I found I was just too hot to handle any jacket. But last year I bought a Klim Induction jacket and for the first time have a jacket that allows enough airflow to wear on even the hottest days, yet provides armor protection. So all of this left me with the final area that I have been neglecting all of my riding life, my legs. I had tried various riding pants and found that with a generous waist size, and short legs, nothing I had found would work for me. Knee armor ended up below my shins, pants length was way too long, and it all was too much of a hassle to put up with. So although I have been pretty good about wearing protective clothing, my legs have been covered just by jeans, whether regular or "riding" jeans.

This year I decided to try chaps, something that in the past I have felt just looked too silly. I ordered a pair of leather chaps to wear over my jeans. No armor, but certainly better abrasion protection than wearing just denim. I fully expect to get funny comments from other Goldwing riders, asking if I had meant to ride the Harley that day or something. Now I am looking forward to trying them out once riding is again possible around here and I'll report back on how the chaps are working out, or if the hassle of wearing them ends up with me going back to just jeans.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I can't beat the convenience of chaps. Mine are leather and in fact H-D. They're nice. Not as protective as armored pants, but then armored pants aren't as good as an F-350 truck around me knees, either. ;) You may think you look silly but I'd guess nobody sees anything but 'a biker'.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Very few people have the cajones to tell any biker he looks "silly".

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wearing a machete on my belt does dissuade nasty comments.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also have struggled with correct fit. I tried several KLIM jackets and they wouldn't work for me. I have a couple Firstgear jackets that are an okay fit.

I bought some Firstgear mesh pants a few years ago. Like you, to get the waist size required too long a pant leg and knee armor that didn't feel right.

So Santa hooked me up with Motoport. Custom tailored to me. The fit is great around the house. No rides yet but I have high expectations and every indication they will meet them.

There are some threads on their products elsewhere on this site so I won't repeat all that info here.

·
Registered
20,678 Posts
Mesh riding pants is what I use in hot weather and for me they work great, they came with a zip in waterproof and wind proof liner but I removed that because it was simply to much extra hassle. For rain Or cooler weather I have found that slipping a pair of Frogg Toggs over the top of the mesh pants is very quick and easy And works great.
I’m sure if you took the time to look you could find a sewing place to modify riding pants to fit you properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On long rides in the summer, I like to wear Bohn mesh pants under my khaki cargo pants. The Bohn has armor that doesn't slip, and the mesh is cool. Cargo pants are my favorite because of the snazzy pockets that can hold notebooks and knick knacks and postcards and such. Not sure if links are allowed because I'm new 'round here, but here's what I'm talking about: Armored Motorcycle Riding Pants | Hot + Humid Riding | Bohn Body Armor
As an added bonus: it's easier to set up tents and check tire pressure at gas stations when you don't have to worry about puncturing your patella on a pesky pebble!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are the Bohn riding pants to wear all day long under your jeans?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How are the Bohn riding pants to wear all day long under your jeans?
They might be hot under jeans, not sure, but they are great for all-day, every-day under lighter pants. I wore them probably 15 out of 22 days when I rode cross-country. I didn't bother 100% of the time but probably could have. The tailbone armor was annoying so I took that out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'll just wear protective gear on the day I am due to have a crash!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I haven't had to deal with hot summers living the the PNW - typically in the 70s-80s.

But I do plan on getting a set of summer mesh riding pants. Right now I'm concerned about staying warm so both MCs are hardwired for 12v heated jackets/gloves. Butt stays plenty warm and riding pants have thinsulate liner.

But protective gear is a must. If you have any friends who have been in a recent MC accident ( I do- experienced rider with 7-8 bikes) . . . I gets you into that gear:

I feel unprotected without wearing MC-specific gear:
  • MC boots - knee and shin high - Alpinestars
  • MC jacket - Fly Racing 4-seasons and summer mesh with armor for back shoulders elbows
  • Full face helmet or modular
  • At least jeans AND Icon Street Knees (in warm weather) OR Bilt Overpants (liner removed for warmer weather) with knee and hip pads inserted
  • MC gloves with knuckle plates
  • No noise hearing protection (can hear but wind noise removed)
No such thing as a T-shirt and jeans alone cutting it.

MC is also set up with front and rear Skene flickering LED lights so you will see me.

For me, gotta be safe because there are too many distracted drivers and too many of us that think you can have a beer and then ride your MC. Never!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I like my leather chaps on hot days. They insulate from the direct sun and keep you cooler than just wearing blue jeans. I've had them almost 20 years and still work great.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am ATGATT, and good thing too, this 'incident' occurred on a 100*F day, I was wearing a helmet, mesh jacket, tourmaster pants, Elk Skin gloves ( hey, I can't handle the thicker ones ) and usually Red Wing boots that lace up tight above my ankles.

this was back in 2008 when I got merged into that median wall.
since then, I have bought a Phase Change vest, I made a rack to fit the trailer hitch, and keep ice water in the ice chest that rides there. that gives me 1.5 to 2.0 hours of air conditioned comfort behind a Tulsa Tall windscreen.
I have since bought a Madstad windscreen, and OMG!! what a difference, in hot weather, it goes all the way down to the dash.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece in all weather. Never unzip any zippers for "cooling" in hot weather, as 110 degree heat does no good cooling despite the ill conceived notion it does. Been through Las Vegas, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas ect in all the heat. After a long day you will feel better covered in heat. Short days riding to Walmart or whatever 2 miles away another story.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I doubt you'll find a Goldwing rider ever laughing at you for wearing chaps, truth be told, I don't know many who don't wear them. Good friends of mine went down in Canada, he walked away with some minor bruises. His wife would have as well, except the bike flipped and landed on her. ATGATT is the one rule to follow, if you choose not to, just prepare to live with the consequences. My current chaps are Colorado Chaps, and they're awesome, though a bit more expensive than the typical $35 leathers off eBay. Mine are made of Ballistic Nylon. The only problem with them is the Gal that makes them is about to retire. Bohn armor would be the next best option, in my opinion. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My current chaps are Colorado Chaps, and they're awesome, though a bit more expensive than the typical $35 leathers off eBay. Mine are made of Ballistic Nylon.
Did you get the version with CE Knee armor? Also, when you say 'a bit more expensive' what price does that mean? I'm seriously looking for a upgrade to my leather chaps but your post is the first lead I've seen that might have CE armor as part of the package. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am an ATGATT rider. I have a set (jacket & pants) of Aerostich Darien Light gear and a set of regular Darien gear. I wear the light during the summer months, and the regular gear Spring and Fall. I also have a Helite Turtle Air Bag Vest and cruiserworks boots. I've never ridden without a helmet, and I own 1/2, 3/4 and modular helmets (I mostly wear the modular these days). I've had my share of road rash in my younger days, but I don't heal as quickly as I once did, and I am a whole lot smarter to boot! "Live to Ride another Day," I say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m ATGATT: All The Gear (I feel like wearing) At The Time.

I used to be pretty good about wearing “proper gear” (I hate that term), even when making a short run to Home Depot.

Now, I’m not so religious about getting all armored-up every time I ride, even though I have thousands invested in riding gear. I know the risks, and I dress how want for the trip.

Uh...what was the question?

I have several pairs of riding pants and overpants. I have found that wicking-type long underwear makes the pants more comfortable on really hot days.

In a couple pairs of riding pants I removed the armor because it was uncomfortable and not well-placed on my knees. Even if knee armor was in the right position, would it stay there when I hit the ground? I don’t want to wear armor that is in the right spot, but so tight that it constricts my leg when I’m seated on the bike.

YMMV, blah, blah, blah...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Aerostich.
Roadcrafter for cooler weather. Roadcrafter Light for warmer/hot weather. Saved a lot of skin when the Wing highsided at 55mph on a chip sealed road. The slide down the road abraded the suit to the point that repairs meant 7 panels were replaced. But with all that, dress pant and shirt under the suit were untouched.
I have tried to temper hot weather with the cool vest solution ... but since my rides usually far outrun the amount of time the vest cools ... it really hasn't got much use.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts