GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
After losing two square feet of skin, I’m ATGATT. I commute all year. Roadcrafter most of the year, Olympia Airglide jacket and pants for the 90 days in the middle of summer.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Did you get the version with CE Knee armor? Also, when you say 'a bit more expensive' what price does that mean? I'm seriously looking for a upgrade to my leather chaps but your post is the first lead I've seen that might have CE armor as part of the package. Thanks.
I didn't get the armor in mine, just the unlined Ballistic Nylon chaps with a very nice reflective American flag on the right pocket. If I remember correctly, they were $120 plus tax and shipping ($145 total I believe). She offers the knee and shin guards for another $30. If you're even remotely interested, I'd give her a call and ask some questions soon. When I spoke with her before Christmas, she indicated she was seriously considering retiring by this Summer. Turnaround was very quick, I ordered mine and received a notice about a week later that they were shipping. Quality is awesome. For a proper fit, follow the measurement instructions, measure three times, both standing and sitting, and use the largest measurements for your thigh and calf, and the average on the length. That way, they won't bind when you sit and you won't walk on the bottoms. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I also wear very Hi viz jacket and helmet.............Bright yellow....

last year I was riding with two friends, one had a hi viz yellow jacket on and the other rider was dressed in black....I got caught behind at a red light, so I watched these two go ahead of me, this was a straight road..... These both were approx 1/2 miles down the road from me..... The yellow jacket stood out like a 1,000 watt light bulb (I could see him clear as heck) the rider dressed in black, well he just disappeared, I honestly could not see him, he just blended in with the black road...That was the day that I knew from that second on, that I would never go out even for a five minute ride with wearing HI VIZ clothing..... If you don't believe me, next time your out driving, and a biker comes towards yea, and he wearing high viz yellow, tell me that your head /eyes, aren't automatically attracted to him.............Why do police or safety guards all wear high viz yellow ....Save yourselves from a bad situation, make yourself be seen....I've had cars start to pull out in front of me, then stop because they see my yellow high viz before it's too late......

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi -Viz is also a lot cooler than dark colors on hot days in bright sunshine.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am a Klim Latitude full suit guy. HiVis and worth every penny. Goretex so it is warm in the cold and waterproof. Lots of air flow management for warmer days. Unfortunately tested it out on a ride last year and came out with no road rash at all. Still using the same gear. Bought my wife the same jacket recently. Told her it would be the only jacket she would ever need. Lifetime warranty.
Dress for the crash not the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Concerning the topic of abrasion protection: When we are ATGATT it is modular helmets, Joe Rocket gloves (leather), Draggn Jeans and boots.

Concerning keeping cool: Yes I have been known to cheat on the ATGATT above when I know that there is a 100% chance that it will be hot and humid and a less than 1% chance of a crash. Having said that we still cover our skin, wear sunscreen, etc but maybe not the JR jacket (even thought it is vented). We feel much cooler in our helmets (white, HJC IS max BT). We have been known to wear long sleeve wicking UV shirts. I remember a couple years ago someone from this forum tested a white vs black helmet in the sun and there was about a ten degree difference. Also on the subject of keeping cool everyone used to talk about LD comfort but it is not mention much anymore.

My favorite is the Florida HD rider, no helmet, bald head in the sun, some in flip flops, etc. The least I have ever seen worn was a swim suit (not even shoes or flip flops) down in Key West.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have leather chaps that I only wear when it is cold out to block the wind. I haven't tried them in warmer weather, but jeans are hot enough. I have also been looking at riding pants. Riding jeans were recommended, since they are cheaper, and come in shorter inseams. Has anyone tried them in hot weather? I'm talking Texas hot.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Phase Change cooling vests are terrific on hot days.
I'm full ATGATT or I don't ride.
this vest is under my Mesh Jacket. I soak the entire vest, pull it out of the ice water, let it drip a couple minutes and put it on wet..... ahhhhhhhhhhh feels sooooo good.

I use the trailer hitch rack to hold the ice chest/water to drop the silicone packs back to 32* in 10 minutes flat.
takes longer than that to gas up, visit the restroom, grab a coke and go ride.

·
Registered
235 Posts
^^^^^ - I use something similar from Cycle Gear. Works well. I have even dipped the vest in creeks, rivers, etc. to keep it wet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have the LD sleeves. We use them in the Summer here in north Florida and south Georgia where it gets really hot and humid. The sleeves really do work. We close up all of the openings on our jackets and let the wind blow up our sleeves. You can really feel cooler air inside your jacket. You have to re-wet them every

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Concerning the topic of abrasion protection: When we are ATGATT it is modular helmets, Joe Rocket gloves (leather), Draggn Jeans and boots.

Concerning keeping cool: Yes I have been known to cheat on the ATGATT above when I know that there is a 100% chance that it will be hot and humid and a less than 1% chance of a crash. Having said that we still cover our skin, wear sunscreen, etc but maybe not the JR jacket (even thought it is vented). We feel much cooler in our helmets (white, HJC IS max BT). We have been known to wear long sleeve wicking UV shirts. I remember a couple years ago someone from this forum tested a white vs black helmet in the sun and there was about a ten degree difference. Also on the subject of keeping cool everyone used to talk about LD comfort but it is not mention much anymore.

My favorite is the Florida HD rider, no helmet, bald head in the sun, some in flip flops, etc. The least I have ever seen worn was a swim suit (not even shoes or flip flops) down in Key West.
I wear nothing but LD comfort under my Klim Lattitude suit. That is what makes it tolerable in the extreme heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
On long rides in the summer, I like to wear Bohn mesh pants under my khaki cargo pants. The Bohn has armor that doesn't slip, and the mesh is cool. Cargo pants are my favorite because of the snazzy pockets that can hold notebooks and knick knacks and postcards and such. Not sure if links are allowed because I'm new 'round here, but here's what I'm talking about: Armored Motorcycle Riding Pants | Hot + Humid Riding | Bohn Body Armor
As an added bonus: it's easier to set up tents and check tire pressure at gas stations when you don't have to worry about puncturing your patella on a pesky pebble!
+1 on the Bohn armor. I wear it under mesh or heavier pants depending on the weather. I use the medium weight with everything but the tailbone piece inserted. No jeans needed. Good product and armor stays where it belongs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I never had a motorcycle or any accident in 50 years so have been a bit neglectful, though I use helmet, gloves, boots, leather jacket but just jeans and no real armor.

Then a month ago, I was on a treadmill walking 4mph. yes 4. I sneezed and stopped walking for a split second. Next thing I knew I was lying on the ground behind the treadmill bleeding from my elbow. My wrist was sore, my neck hurt and my tailbone was uncomfortable. I went home and sat down for about and hour. When I got up, I could not put any weight on my left heel. All the other injuries have been resolved but one month later and after a hospital visit (soft tissue injury) that heel is still tender so limping slightly.

Went on-line and bought Tourmaster padded hi-vis jacket, boots with ankle protection, armored pants, thicker gloves, modular helmet, and I am still a few months away from riding season. And that was my single vehicle (treadmill) crash at 4 mph.

G.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Glad to hear you're armoring up - might look a bit funny wearing all that on the treadmill, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bohns under Duluth heavy jeans. Olympia jacket, Shoei full face (hi-vis), deerskin gloves and Bates boots. I'd like to say I wear this 100% of the time but I do get lax on occasions where I stay local and do the jeans/t-shirt thing (still always use the Shoei lid). And in answer to an earlier post...the Bohns under jeans works well, no added heat, bunching or other issues, can wear them all day..

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I never had a motorcycle or any accident in 50 years so have been a bit neglectful, though I use helmet, gloves, boots, leather jacket but just jeans and no real armor.

Then a month ago, I was on a treadmill walking 4mph. yes 4. I sneezed and stopped walking for a split second. Next thing I knew I was lying on the ground behind the treadmill bleeding from my elbow. My wrist was sore, my neck hurt and my tailbone was uncomfortable. I went home and sat down for about and hour. When I got up, I could not put any weight on my left heel. All the other injuries have been resolved but one month later and after a hospital visit (soft tissue injury) that heel is still tender so limping slightly.

Went on-line and bought Tourmaster padded hi-vis jacket, boots with ankle protection, armored pants, thicker gloves, modular helmet, and I am still a few months away from riding season. And that was my single vehicle (treadmill) crash at 4 mph.

G.
Seems to me you need to wear all that new gear whenever you get on the treadmill. Riding the wing is relatively safe.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seems to me you need to wear all that new gear whenever you get on the treadmill. Riding the wing is relatively safe.
I love the freedom and feeling of serenity that the treadmill provides so I may be back on once my heel heals. Fortunately, the treadmill was undamaged in the crash. Hopefully others can learn from my crash that a treadmill is nothing to sneeze at.

Remember ATGATT: At The Gym, Avoid The Treadmill

G.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts

G.
Thanks for sharing your experience (get-off) on the treadmill. I'll have to show that to my wife when she tells me to go to the gym and get on the treadmill. :LOL: sorry dear that's way to dangerous!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Hell, I dropped a full 12oz bottle of beer on my foot once, (it worked) I now wear steel toe'd boots every time I drink...[U can never B too careful].......lol

Ronnie

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can tell you my experience with protective gear, I normally did not wear it other than gloves and a Shoei 3/4 helmet.
In fall 2018 I went for a ride on my 2014 Garbage Davidson Ultra Limited which I had ridden 30,000 kms , including tail of the dragon that year.
It was cold out so I put on my Kevlar lined jeans, a pair of hd chaps, a heated jacket, an hd leather riding jacket, boots and leather gloves. After a few miles my hands were cold so I switched to the hd nylon gloves made for riding in rain. Approx 10 miles from home on a perfectly good highway that was dry, with no wind, that piece of garbage decided to go into the most violent shaking in the front end one can imagine at 70 mph. That's the last thing I remember. When I woke up I was on a stretcher in an ambulance with life threatening injuries.
The gear did its job with the exception of the hd gloves which came off right away, my hands were a total mess and it took months to heal the injuries. The but of the kevlar jeans was torn open but the kevlar was entact. The chaps did their job even though the zippers were torn open in numerous places down both legs. The leather jacket was shredded in places but did its job. The helmet did its job well except the shield tore off and I got some minor facial injuries. I was exremely lucky to have survived this crash. And for the garbage davidson lovers, the bike was meticulously maintained and there was nothing wrong with it when checked over after, it had been in an hd shop 2 weeks before for brake pads and a general check over.
I now ride a 2018 GW and full gear at all times, no matter what the temp. received_269983913718512.jpeg received_755815731456126.jpeg

21 - 40 of 50 Posts