Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've only turned it on once or twice

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't konw of anyone who actually uses their Weather Band. I've never seen anything mentioned about it here.

I've turned mine on a time or 2 but never really used it.

How about you?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
05 gl1800 ABS, I use mine whenever I need to know the local weather and do not know the radio staions in the area or if them thar clouds look ominious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! answer to your question, I use mine;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, all the time when traveling...

R/BDW

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I never used it even once. I know where Im going, and no matter what, Im going a certain route to get there. The weather forecasts are hardly ever correct anyhow.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Until I saw this I had forgotten I even had it. I think I'll go check to see if it actually works.

·
Registered
630 Posts
We use it on occasion on trips.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If I am heading into stormy weather I just quickly pull up the radar on my Droid for wherever I am to see what I am riding into.

Only takes seconds........

·
Registered
272 Posts
Use it all the time. NOAA Weather is fairly accurate (most of the time ;))

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
... not anymore as I've got XMWeather again ... but used it a few times this spring. Unfortunately some areas are not well represented ... needed it around Sallisaw, OK and really couldn't get a decent signal. The AM band on my 2009 SUCKS compared to the '02 Wing. I'd use it instead of FM on my Monday commute ... but the AM reception in east OK is extra crappy! That includes the weather band.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the Iphone but when riding through OK and KS I have used it to cancell and avoid the really bad weather like in stuff that might have killed me

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I have only had it on a couple of times. I had the wing for a year and a half before I knew it had a weather radio!:oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
We were riding on an extremely lonely two lane road through Oklahoma with no cell service and could see a huge dark cloud that resembled a mile wide tornado. I clicked on the weather band and listened to the computer voice to be re-assured that it was a just a thunder storm. However, lightning out there in the plains is really dangerous especially with two lightning rods sticking up on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have used it in the mid-west and northern plains states to track severe thunder cells I can see in the distance. On a couple of occasions when I felt the need to put on rain gear, I was able to determine from the weather band that my direction of travel was going to keep me on the fringe of the cell as long as I kept moving. If I had stopped to put on rain gear, I would have had to endure a couple of hours of heavy rainfall.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Have used it once on both Goldwings. When new to see if it worked.
Worthless option. Would rather see it removed and $$$ invested in a better set of steering head bearings

·
Registered
684 Posts
We were crossing southwestern Kansas last summer. Things were looking bad, so I turned on the weather radio.....it informed me that about forty miles ahead there was a super cell with the possibility of generating an F5 tornado.

The cell was moving the same direction as we were, and it was late in the day.
We stopped for the evening.

It came in handy....!

Mike

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I don't konw of anyone who actually uses their Weather Band. I've never seen anything mentioned about it here.
It's usefulness degrades as you're further away from familiar territory.

Being three states away and have a thunderstorm or other severe weather warning is nice, but if you don't know where Pima County is, you could be ... :eek:4:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have used the weather radio service many times. I like to know if I am driving into tornado weather or just a nasty thunder storm. If Dorothy had used a weather radio she and Todo would not have gotten into so much trouble. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use it every trip. The weather forecast can be gotten on the phone prior to leaving. But, NOAA does constant "current" weather conditions for your area. The radar is good, but I don't look at the phone much while driving. Just put on the station and I can listen in the background until the current weather conditions comes on. Always correct. Always helpful to know what is coming my way.

I use it to let me know if "serious" weather is in the area to stop a ride for safety and to let me know when stopping to really look at the phone is warranted.

Mega helpful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts